Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

iPhone would NOT work in area with no internet.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just back from a trip to Vancouver Island. There is no connectivity in the northern part of the island, and I mean none - black screen. I was surprised to find that my phone would not unlock or start my 2022 Model 3. According to the internet, Bluetooth only requires two compatible devices and no other signal. Why wouldn't it work? Fortunately, I also had my key card with me, but it was alarming.

I went camping where no internet / cell service. Phone could unlock car but couldn’t put in camp mode or other similar functions. My wife’s phone ended not being able to open the car as it decided she needed to re-log into our Tesla account which it couldn’t do without a connection. She had to use Tesla card. Not sure if she did something like close Tesla app?
You would think if the phone can talk to the car with Bluetooth it could control functions like climate but apparently not?

Just back from a trip to Vancouver Island. There is no connectivity in the northern part of the island, and I mean none - black screen. I was surprised to find that my phone would not unlock or start my 2022 Model 3. According to the internet, Bluetooth only requires two compatible devices and no other signal. Why wouldn't it work? Fortunately, I also had my key card with me, but it was alarming.
Maybe you were logged out in the app or the session cookie expired. What did the app say? This is pretty much the only situation where it may fail without internet connection.

It could also be your bluetooth went to sleep, in which case disabling bluetooth and enabling it again should make it work again.

what does it mean to have no connectivity and a black screen? a black screen means something isn't working (not sure if OP means phone or car center screen)... either way, the black screen is the issue, not internet connectivity

I went camping where no internet / cell service. Phone could unlock car but couldn’t put in camp mode or other similar functions. My wife’s phone ended not being able to open the car as it decided she needed to re-log into our Tesla account which it couldn’t do without a connection. She had to use Tesla card. Not sure if she did something like close Tesla app?
You would think if the phone can talk to the car with Bluetooth it could control functions like climate but apparently not?

Nope, cause almost all of that is done through cellular connectivity (except the phone as key part).

I don't think I was logged out because as soon as I got to an area with more connectivity it started working again. I should have been more clear about the black screen. I meant just the map area. Everything else was there. The map went to offline mode for a while where it still follows your route, but with less detail and the route line glows. Then it froze. Then it was a red arrow icon on a black map. That process reversed as I drove back south. It could have been Bluetooth going to sleep. That didn't occur to me as it's never happened before.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin and KenC
Hmmm... so you think the BT module went to sleep when the cell connectivity was not active? Should have checked your BT connection on your phone, when it wasn't working.
It never occurred to me until someone above mentioned it. I had the key card in my wallet so I just used that, but I definitely wanted to figure out if the phone not working when there's no connectivity (wifi or cell) was a thing I should plan for.

It never occurred to me until someone above mentioned it. I had the key card in my wallet so I just used that, but I definitely wanted to figure out if the phone not working when there's no connectivity (wifi or cell) was a thing I should plan for.
Do an experiment then. Put the iPhone in airplane mode, with all radios off, Phone key should not work, Tesla app will complain "Phone key will not work until Bluetooth is enabled".

Then turn on JUST Bluetooth (keep airplane mode on, and turn just bluetooth on).

Most likely phone will then work as key just fine. It does for me.

• Helpful
Reactions: jjrandorin