Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

iPhone X and Bluetooth connectivity issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Too be clear. This is an Apple issue.

Quick google search and replace Tesla with lots of brands...

Apple did something with X not Tesla exclusive issue.

Sorry but that simply is not possible. I have several devices that work perfectly well with both X and XS Max. Little, tiny things that cost a paltry sum compared to what the Model S cost. Oh, and a nine-year-old Lexus, too. It is both inconceivable and unforgivable that I should have ANY trouble syncing the Tesla to the phone(s) and yet it's a constant source of aggravation. No one here has provided a solution, nor have the people at the SC. It is a TESLA problem.

FWIW - I have the older MCU but I’ve noticed a correlation between WiFi and Bluetooth issues. When mine glitches, I turn off BT on my iPhone then turn off WiFi on the car, then turn BT back on my phone.

If I have phone music source selected on the MCU, then I first bring my music app (whatever it is, Music/Spotify/SiriusXM) to be the active app and let it handshake to whatever web service it needs to then I turn BT on from the phone control panel. Has worked pretty much every time for me.

Edit: I think some devices use the same chipset/antennas for BT and 2ghz WiFi since they run on the same band. I can easily see some conflict the software is not reconciling.

I have had zero issues with my X and now my XS max on my phones up until 12.1.2 got released. As soon as i downloaded it to the car and updated i started to see bluetooth restart issues. I know its the Software on the car ( im a software engineer ) as the bluetooth radio status goes away as its restarting its radio. Once this occurs, the audio resumes and everything is normal. I have seen this a few times already.

Reactions: electracity
I have had zero issues with my X and now my XS max on my phones up until 12.1.2 got released. As soon as i downloaded it to the car and updated i started to see bluetooth restart issues. I know its the Software on the car ( im a software engineer ) as the bluetooth radio status goes away as its restarting its radio. Once this occurs, the audio resumes and everything is normal. I have seen this a few times already.

Based on evidence in these threads, this engineer feels problem is a combination of hardware and software. It primarily occurs on MCU2 as very few owners report same problem on MCU1. My MCU1 / iPhone X (and others) work flawlessly for phone calls, however theres no music stored on phone.
Hands free calling is a requirement in many states so its shocking to see Tesla engineers not prioritizing a fix. I have to believe Tesla engineers read this forum.

Based on evidence in these threads, this engineer feels problem is a combination of hardware and software. It primarily occurs on MCU2 as very few owners report same problem on MCU1. My MCU1 / iPhone X (and others) work flawlessly for phone calls, however theres no music stored on phone.
Hands free calling is a requirement in many states so its shocking to see Tesla engineers not prioritizing a fix. I have to believe Tesla engineers read this forum.

I have friends who left my company and moved to California companies and one of them is Tesla. I still keep in touch and i get the ins and outs of SW being developed. I personally think its more software than H/W. H/W spec has been validated already for performance. Its the S/W that needs to be tuned and checked against the Product requirement spec. I know for a fact that their engineering development team does not have a proper life cycle set up. They release daily builds constantly without a proper validation. They should be focusing on big releases such as the way Apple, my company and others do. This little bits here or there does not help.

I
They release daily builds constantly without a proper validation. They should be focusing on big releases such as the way Apple, my company and others do. This little bits here or there does not help.

AnalRaviOli,
Well said ! Tesla S/W validation is weak. Decades ago, I did validation and took pride in the discovery of catching bugs. Zero defects should be the goal.

AnalRaviOli,
Well said ! Tesla S/W validation is weak. Decades ago, I did validation and took pride in the discovery of catching bugs. Zero defects should be the goal.

Agreed. The engineering department is not run at optimal way at all. Daily builds are good for fixing and releasing SW deliverables, but the validation is weak and non existant. I made this concern to my buddy and he said i was bang on as i can tell these obvious issues were not being validated at all. He confirmed to me that their test plans are old and not updated ( key word wise ) for recent SW and display changes that they made. Some testers PASS test cases without proper expectation of the newly updated UI and features.