Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

iPhone X and Bluetooth connectivity issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just took delivery of a new Model S last week but have been having all sorts of issues connecting my iPhone X with Bluetooth. The phone will pair but the bluetooth connectivity keeps dropping every 10-15 seconds and I can't load any of my contacts or calendar. Forgetting the device doesn't work (the window just spins forever) and with all the new MCU2 issues I can't reboot the MCU. I don't have an Apple watch or any other bluetooth devices in the car.

Took the vehicle in to the SC last week and they did a gateway reset that allowed me to reboot the MCU2, but now that's stopped working again (perhaps because I upgraded to 2018.10.6?)

Anyone else having this issue and figured out a solution?

I just took delivery of a new Model S last week but have been having all sorts of issues connecting my iPhone X with Bluetooth. The phone will pair but the bluetooth connectivity keeps dropping every 10-15 seconds and I can't load any of my contacts or calendar. Forgetting the device doesn't work (the window just spins forever) and with all the new MCU2 issues I can't reboot the MCU. I don't have an Apple watch or any other bluetooth devices in the car.

Took the vehicle in to the SC last week and they did a gateway reset that allowed me to reboot the MCU2, but now that's stopped working again (perhaps because I upgraded to 2018.10.6?)

Yes, I have the same issues with iPhone X and the new MCU. Took delivery 3/21, Model S. After updating to 10.6 I was able to reboot the MCU, but still never able to connect the phone properly. Just got back from a 2000 mile trip and the car worked flawlessly save for the phone. Tried to reboot and see if I could at least forget the device and try to reconnect, but guess what, can't reboot again. Very frustrating. Called Tesla tech support, they said I need to take it into the service center and have them disconnect the the 12v battery to reset / reboot the MCU. Incredibly frustrating.

Yes, I have the same issues with iPhone X and the new MCU. Took delivery 3/21, Model S. After updating to 10.6 I was able to reboot the MCU, but still never able to connect the phone properly. Just got back from a 2000 mile trip and the car worked flawlessly save for the phone. Tried to reboot and see if I could at least forget the device and try to reconnect, but guess what, can't reboot again. Very frustrating. Called Tesla tech support, they said I need to take it into the service center and have them disconnect the the 12v battery to reset / reboot the MCU. Incredibly frustrating.
MCU2 sure seems to have issues. How did it ever get past normal beta testing.. or are we (you) it once again?!

Well everyone including Tesla knows the Bluetooth connection is buggy at best. After you install the phone and it goes buggy again, I have been just turning my phone off and restarting and that seems to fix the common issues thousands are having, like you can hear them and they can’t hear you or your voice is garbled. I too took delivery a few weeks ago and have an iPhone 7 Plus and hope they come up with a stable patch / upgrade soon. Growing pains I guess. Good luck and enjoy the new ride.

Well everyone including Tesla knows the Bluetooth connection is buggy at best. After you install the phone and it goes buggy again, I have been just turning my phone off and restarting and that seems to fix the common issues thousands are having, like you can hear them and they can’t hear you or your voice is garbled. I too took delivery a few weeks ago and have an iPhone 7 Plus and hope they come up with a stable patch / upgrade soon. Growing pains I guess. Good luck and enjoy the new ride.
Thats my exact problem with tge 100D i took delivery on 3/23.... i can gear them.... but my voice is very garbled to the other party.....

So powering off the phone and do all the soft restart takes care of the problem for me in my iPhone
I get the spinning wheel too in the contacts box but I figured that’s my 10,000 contacts I have in my phone downloading and eventually after 20-30 minutes those contacts do come up (most of the time)
Seems to me it would be faster if designed to store the contacts that u have on your phone in car memory like my Audi did Or at least have the check box/toggle option to cose download or not. Does anyone from teska ever monitor these forums I wonder?

I took ownership in March of 2018 and am having the same problem as the original post with my iPhone X. After numerous complaints and visits to the service department, they have absolutely no answer and have even blamed the iPhone. What do people think about filing a class action lawsuit?

The iPhone X and my July 17 production model S do not play well together, music is fine but hands free calling is simply unusable.

The Apple Watch is not the culprit, as I don’t own one.

Too bad, but I will prob get a diff phone, and i think a class action suit is a waste of time.

Just sucks.

The iPhone X and my July 17 production model S do not play well together, music is fine but hands free calling is simply unusable.

The Apple Watch is not the culprit, as I don’t own one.

Too bad, but I will prob get a diff phone, and i think a class action suit is a waste of time.

Just sucks.
Too be clear. This is an Apple issue.

Quick google search and replace Tesla with lots of brands...

Apple did something with X not Tesla exclusive issue.

Frankly, the bluetooth seems to be buggy on any iPhone. Mine works sometimes and then something sets it off and people can't hear me (classic symptom) though I can hear them. Or they say the connection is noisy etc. I have a iPhone 7 Plus so, not just the X model. Bluetooth standards are universal and don't have problems with other devices, just my model S. Should not be that hard for Tesla to correct, though maybe they need some legal action to get serious? My 2018 is only two months old and this should not be happening.

I have MS Sept 2017 MC1. I have a iPhone X and I wear a Apple Watch v1 (no LTE). I just my wife if she has ever had any issue hearing me. She said no. Always clear. No one has complained since I got the car. And I do use it often enough with my family so I would think someone would have said something.

But, I generally never use my phone or slacker for music. I generally only use FM Radio for music.

I have MS Sept 2017 MC1. I have a iPhone X and I wear a Apple Watch v1 (no LTE). I just my wife if she has ever had any issue hearing me. She said no. Always clear. No one has complained since I got the car. And I do use it often enough with my family so I would think someone would have said something.

But, I generally never use my phone or slacker for music. I generally only use FM Radio for music.

Hard to say what starts the problem. Sometimes fine, then something changes? Plugging into USB for charging, slacker, voice Command? Don't know. Like I said, sometimes yes, sometimes no and I take them off hands free.

My car is 2015 model and I've lost BT on my iPhone 7+ lately. The phone and car show the BT symbol but nothing happens over BT. When I open the BT symbol on the car, it just shows a loading image forever.
But both the phone and car show BT is connected. I'm thinking it's the last update.