Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

iPhone X in the Model X (Quick Dock)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Right, we are using "narrow" backwards. That said, I don't use cases on my phones, so I need a snugger fit.
Apple specs say that an iPhone X is 2.79 inches or 70.9mm wide. (I actually measured it to be 70.97 mm and 2.794 inches with no case. (Excluding buttons)
I measured it with the leather case on it using a digital caliper and it comes out to 2.942 inches or 74.67mm.
According to my calculations that means that you would need to add 1.85mm or .074” of padding to each of the rails to approximate the same snug fit on a bare phone as I am experiencing with Apple’s leather case. I certainly would not want it any snugger. It is a pretty tight fit. I think there’s a little more going on with the case then just the width. It seems that the increase in thickness of the phone is also responsible for the snug fit. There seems to be quite a bit of pressure on the fins that hold the phone against the back rest.
I imagine a strip of adhesive felt from Home Depot will do the trick.
I would advise wrapping the felt to the inside of those fins as well.

I didn't even get rails with my Model -_-

Yes I purchased PUP. Should I make a fuss? Are they worth it?
Yes. You should. I have been using it with my 7+ with no rails and it is very difficult to dock without actually looking. Very distracting. I tried not to do it unless I was in auto pilot.
Now that I am using the rails I can slide it right in with no effort at all.
I didn’t even know there were rails until I found them in my glove box in a bag.

Reactions: selfbp and dragonxt
Apple specs say that an iPhone X is 2.79 inches or 70.9mm wide. (I actually measured it to be 70.97 mm and 2.794 inches with no case. (Excluding buttons)
I measured it with the leather case on it using a digital caliper and it comes out to 2.942 inches or 74.67mm.
According to my calculations that means that you would need to add 1.85mm or .074” of padding to each of the rails to approximate the same snug fit on a bare phone as I am experiencing with Apple’s leather case. I certainly would not want it any snugger. It is a pretty tight fit. I think there’s a little more going on with the case then just the width. It seems that the increase in thickness of the phone is also responsible for the snug fit. There seems to be quite a bit of pressure on the fins that hold the phone against the back rest.
I imagine a strip of adhesive felt from Home Depot will do the trick.
I would advise wrapping the felt to the inside of those fins as well.
After re-examining image I took. I can see that the fins are definitely the only points of contact.
05D858CE-B97E-4124-9F9D-1D0F54DF1B5C.jpeg

This docking solution in the Model X/S is about the worst I have seen. If Tesla were going to use such an inflexible design, they shouldn't bother. Total fail.

Why not offer 10-20 different sizes that can be selected based upon your phone model. Or, just have something that is adjustable.

Been using it with my 7 Plus. The dock itself moves too much and it is not easy to put it in and it charge, you have to push it hard in order for it to charge. I have been on a trip for the last day and coming back today to my Radio Flyer S which arrived and getting my iPhone X when I get back so have a lot to look forward too on my flight home! I'll see how the X fits. May have to 3D print something.

Been using it with my 7 Plus. The dock itself moves too much and it is not easy to put it in and it charge, you have to push it hard in order for it to charge. I have been on a trip for the last day and coming back today to my Radio Flyer S which arrived and getting my iPhone X when I get back so have a lot to look forward too on my flight home! I'll see how the X fits. May have to 3D print something.

If you make something that works, many of us are interested! Keep us posted

If you make something that works, many of us are interested! Keep us posted
I will! Overall, I think the quick connect is a great idea but not executed very well. If I make them and sell them, not interested in the money aspect in it but more interested in helping people and making the roads safer by people not having to look down when they try to plug their phones in. Hit me up for those interested.

What I did in my old X. (RIP) is I took apart the console (without directions just one day decided I wanted to because I had a wireless charging case) I took out the little charger and its holder and replaced everything with a pad that was wired under the console. I took the pad and wired it into the console and I had wireless charging and didn't have to take case off it just magnetically stayed there. It was pretty cool. I can also do that for my iPhone X.

• Helpful
Reactions: selfbp
What I did in my old X. (RIP) is I took apart the console (without directions just one day decided I wanted to because I had a wireless charging case) I took out the little charger and its holder and replaced everything with a pad that was wired under the console. I took the pad and wired it into the console and I had wireless charging and didn't have to take case off it just magnetically stayed there. It was pretty cool. I can also do that for my iPhone X.
Do you have any pictures? Sounds really neat.

I will! Overall, I think the quick connect is a great idea but not executed very well. If I make them and sell them, not interested in the money aspect in it but more interested in helping people and making the roads safer by people not having to look down when they try to plug their phones in. Hit me up for those interested.
I would be interested!

I think the location of the stock dock is garbage. Hard to reach, zero ability for controls. Even with the rails, you need to get angle right to have lightning dock click in. I use the ProClip angled mount...
854922-proclip-angled-mount

It puts your phone in a location where it is really an extension of the main screen, easy access for Pandora controls, etc without being distracting. The mount doesn't leave any damage like a lot of those sticky ones and can easily be removed. They are coming out with a specific iPhone X holder in a couple weeks. The holders are adjustable to accommodate the phone with larger cases to no cases. I've been extremely satisfied with this solution over stock.

I think the location of the stock dock is garbage. Hard to reach, zero ability for controls. Even with the rails, you need to get angle right to have lightning dock click in. I use the ProClip angled mount...
854922-proclip-angled-mount

It puts your phone in a location where it is really an extension of the main screen, easy access for Pandora controls, etc without being distracting. The mount doesn't leave any damage like a lot of those sticky ones and can easily be removed. They are coming out with a specific iPhone X holder in a couple weeks. The holders are adjustable to accommodate the phone with larger cases to no cases. I've been extremely satisfied with this solution over stock.

Can you provide a pic?