Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

iPhone X losing GPS signal in the phone dock area

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did some searching and didn't seem to find anyone else with similar issues.

I like to put my phone on Waze and have it provide traffic and police alerts via audio. However, I'm noticing when my phone is placed in the standard phone dock area, whether charging or not, that the phone loses GPS signal and renders Waze useless. When the phone is taken away from the area, the phone's GPS regains signal after about 5 to 10 seconds.

I tried my wife's phone (both iPhone X) today as well and hers lost GPS as well. Is anyone else having similar issues? Is there a known solution I have not found?

I like to put my phone on Waze and have it provide traffic and police alerts via audio. However, I'm noticing when my phone is placed in the standard phone dock area, whether charging or not, that the phone loses GPS signal and renders Waze useless. When the phone is taken away from the area, the phone's GPS regains signal after about 5 to 10 seconds.

I tried my wife's phone (both iPhone X) today as well and hers lost GPS as well. Is anyone else having similar issues? Is there a known solution I have not found?
I never experienced this problem when I used to charge my iPhone X in the phone dock, but since you’re a wazer, here’s another option to consider, which would also improve your gps reception:

Review: Magnetic Power 2 XVIDA Qi Charger - The perfect Model 3 mount?

By any chance you using a wireless pad? I have Jeda wireless pad and was having GPS issues. As soon as I unplugged it, it (iPhone X) was fine.

I’m gonna try a nomad and cross my fingers.

Same issue here with the Jeda pad, just narrowed it down on the drive into work this morning. Not sure if it's related to be charged to 100% or that it doesn't connect to GPS while wireless charging. How did you make out, did you get the Nomad?

I never experienced this problem when I used to charge my iPhone X in the phone dock, but since you’re a wazer, here’s another option to consider, which would also improve your gps reception:

Review: Magnetic Power 2 XVIDA Qi Charger - The perfect Model 3 mount?
Good: Excellent Customer Service. Best ever period. Worked hard to get me to stick with them.
Bad: The plate is actually magnetic and wreck havoc to hotel room keys. iPhone X with Speck / Otterbox (medium protection) kept dropping, so magnets not strong enough. UNLESS you opt for the XVIDA case which comes in slim case that doesn't have a bumper to protect the front glass (still has magnets). Amazon.com varying editions in their inventory with the phone plate provided. I returned it all at the end.

XVIDA: I would recommend XVIDA to use a larger plate without magnets and larger magnets on the mount, and avoid the option channeling customers into their single phone case. Poor dynamic load analysis and/or lack of adequate performance testing.

Last edited:
XVIDA: I would recommend XVIDA to use a larger plate without magnets and larger magnets on the mount, and avoid the option channeling customers into their single phone case. Poor dynamic load analysis and/or lack of adequate performance testing.

I think they do sell plates separately so you can use your own case instead of theirs.

I’m now using Pitaka’s magnetic wireless charging mount paired with a gooseneck suction mount.

Attachments

• C22DC511-B4A3-4621-9D40-2D61DC9A11D1.jpeg
    C22DC511-B4A3-4621-9D40-2D61DC9A11D1.jpeg
    295.3 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:

I have never had any problems , I also keep wazes open in that spot.

I think they do sell plates separately so you can use your own case instead of theirs.

I’m now using Pitaka’s magnetic wireless charging mount paired with a gooseneck suction mount.
They do sell plates separately. Apparently plates are included with the mount for Amazon shipment exclusively. I tried out two of their plates and the phone case. All have magnets at four corners of a rectangle with an inscribed circle space for the charge coils. The phone case holds, and the plates do not hold when sandwiched between iPhone X and cases.

With Pitaka, any pro/cons vs XVIDA. How do you think it’ll perform with my use case?

They do sell plates separately. Apparently plates are included with the mount for Amazon shipment exclusively. I tried out two of their plates and the phone case. All have magnets at four corners of a rectangle with an inscribed circle space for the charge coils. The phone case holds, and the plates do not hold when sandwiched between iPhone X and cases.

With Pitaka, any pro/cons vs XVIDA. How do you think it’ll perform with my use case?
So far it's been great with Pitaka for me, but I'm using their custom cases as I prefer the thin low profile feel of the case vs the bulky but better protection ones. So I can't really comment on that part. The suction mount that comes with the Pitaka charger is not long enough to put it on the back of the touchscreen.

So far it's been great with Pitaka for me, but I'm using their custom cases as I prefer the thin low profile feel of the case vs the bulky but better protection ones. So I can't really comment on that part. The suction mount that comes with the Pitaka charger is not long enough to put it on the back of the touchscreen.
Thanks for the quick review & feedback. At this point, I think a mechanical grippers around the phone might be the best long term solution. Magnetic Wireless Chargers have their challenges.

Wow glad I found this thread. I’ve been going crazy trying to figure out why Waze keeps losing a GPS signal. I use an Evannex Qi charging pad and I am going to try unplugging this now. I realized while renting a car in Florida it’s not Waze or my phone, but rather something with my Tesla. Has Qi wireless charging pads been known confirmed to cause issues with GPS in iPhones?

I finally installed ProClip for iPhone X

Perfect GPS
Face ID works.
Home Swipe on X style now doable
Easy to launch SIRI from power button (don’t have to say “hey Siri”)
I even set it up for wireless charging.
I can see the phone better

I finally installed ProClip for iPhone X

Perfect GPS
Face ID works.
Home Swipe on X style now doable
Easy to launch SIRI from power button (don’t have to say “hey Siri”)
I even set it up for wireless charging.
I can see the phone better

I had the Proclip for my Model S and I hated how it covered the main screen on bottom right. I tried the universal console mount but it wouldn’t fit over the curved center console. I love ProClip but not for the Model S...

Wow glad I found this thread. I’ve been going crazy trying to figure out why Waze keeps losing a GPS signal. I use an Evannex Qi charging pad and I am going to try unplugging this now. I realized while renting a car in Florida it’s not Waze or my phone, but rather something with my Tesla. Has Qi wireless charging pads been known confirmed to cause issues with GPS in iPhones?
It’s not the charging pad. It’s just that area in the car maybe has magnetic pulls or something that messes up GPS in devices. I have the issue and never installed any wireless charging pad in my 3. Also the issue does occur on Google Maps also so definitely not a Waze thing.

• Love
Reactions: mark273 and mswlogo
It’s not the charging pad. It’s just that area in the car maybe has magnetic pulls or something that messes up GPS in devices. I have the issue and never installed any wireless charging pad in my 3. Also the issue does occur on Google Maps also so definitely not a Waze thing.

You must be right bc I’m getting poor GPS signal when I keep my phone in the center console general area...grrr.