Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

iPhone X malfunction, can't start car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My iPhone X which I primarly used as my key, the touchscreen malfunctioned and when I reset my iPhone, it must have caused the Bluetooth to turn off. My iPhone works, but the touchscreen won't work so I can't get passed the lock screen, which probably means I can't turn on the bluetooth or Tesla app. So I was stuck in the parking lot for 30-40 minutes because I forgot to leave the Tesla key card in my wallet. I left it in my card holder pouch I use for snowboarding for Mt High because it's the one place I don't want to be without the spare Tesla card, as losing my iPhone there is very possible there, and a place I really don't want to be stuck in case something happens. And then forgot to return it to my wallet since the smartphone key never failed me.

The smartphone key works great when the phone works, but then it sucks when it doesn't.

I was able to open my car door, but not start up the car, it had that "key card animation" requiring the card to start. My iPhone was still working, but the touchscreen wasn't, which meant I couldn't access anything. Had to call my parents to pick up, go my house, and get my key, thankfully I only got stuck within the local distance. Would have been bad if I was further out like over an hour away like Los Angeles or San Diego or further.

I guess now I will remember to always have a Tesla card key on hand. Just in case. It wasted like an hour of my time because I had no choice but to go home to get my spare key card. I kind of wish I had an extra spare card key inside the car in case something happens, just so I can travel to far out places and not be screwed in case say I forgot to take my wallet with me.

To summarize....

You reset your iphone, and then are surprised that you had issues opening the car door, and "wasted an hour of your time" because you dont carry the keycard, which is flat and takes up the same space as a drivers license or credit card, in your wallet?

Reactions: Gasaraki
To summarize....

You reset your iphone, and then are surprised that you had issues opening the car door, and "wasted an hour of your time" because you dont carry the keycard, which is flat and takes up the same space as a drivers license or credit card, in your wallet?

I usually have the keycard on me, but I forgot because I went snowboarding and left the Tesla keycard in a different card pouch I use for snowboarding (so I don't have to take a bulky wallet with me). I forgot to put the Tesla key card back in the wallet and thought it wasn't a big deal because the iPhone always worked. But Mt High (ski resort) is the one place I don't want to be stuck.

I guess now I'll make a better effort to remember to return the Tesla keycard back to my wallet. Or get extra cards so I don't have to remember all the time.

But yes resetting the iPhone probably was the main cause. I didn't think about it until it happened, I just assumed an already on iPhone will just open the car no matter what.

Next time, You could have just walked your parents (assuming you could call them) through downloading the app, signing them in, and remote open/start your car and drive home.

Well, as I’m thinking this over, this is all unless you had multi factor enabled.

Reactions: Big Earl
After the reset, all you had to do was have your parents, or borrow anyone elses’ phone, install the Tesla app and click the Lock icon to unlock your car. Bluetooth not needed.

If you have an Apple Watch, the Stats app will allow the same functions from the watch.

To summarize....

Don't forget the solution to this problem is to LEAVE THE KEYS TO YOUR CAR INSIDE THE CAR. Brilliant! So anyone can just break the glass and drive off. Never get stuck again!

Next time you visit your parents, setup one (or both) of their phones to work as a key for your car.

The next time this happens, call your parents, have them open the Tesla app, and then click on the "Start" button. This has the same effect as tapping your key card inside the car; you'll be able to drive home no problem.

Reactions: duanra
I have found my iPhone key performance spotty at best. For whatever reason it asks for my key card at random times (not that often, but enough to be irritating). I would NEVER trust this car with my phone only. I always carry my key for that very reason.

Eric

I usually have the keycard on me, but I forgot because I went snowboarding and left the Tesla keycard in a different card pouch I use for snowboarding (so I don't have to take a bulky wallet with me). I forgot to put the Tesla key card back in the wallet and thought it wasn't a big deal because the iPhone always worked. But Mt High (ski resort) is the one place I don't want to be stuck.

I guess now I'll make a better effort to remember to return the Tesla keycard back to my wallet. Or get extra cards so I don't have to remember all the time.

But yes resetting the iPhone probably was the main cause. I didn't think about it until it happened, I just assumed an already on iPhone will just open the car no matter what.

Do you have a “George Costanza“ wallet? Haha. I’ve bought new iPhones, cleared my old one at the store and walked out to the car not able to open my car...would have momentary panic. Until I remembered I have the card in my wallet Lol. My wallet goes everywhere I go, even when I‘m skiing/boarding. But I keep a slim wallet....only a few cards and cash.

To summarize....

Pretty harsh. The guy was pretty open about what happened, didn't blame the car at or rant or anything like that. Just posted it as a cautionary tale of "here's a scenario you probably thought would never happen, but did".

Reactions: duanra