Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

iPhone X malfunction, can't start car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Next time, You could have just walked your parents (assuming you could call them) through downloading the app, signing them in, and remote open/start your car and drive home.

Well, as I’m thinking this over, this is all unless you had multi factor enabled.

Didn't know you could remote start the car, meaning like someone can remote start it and not be at the car, and the car can drive? I always assumed the phone must be on the driver at all times for it to work, due to bluetooth.

Next time you visit your parents, setup one (or both) of their phones to work as a key for your car.

The next time this happens, call your parents, have them open the Tesla app, and then click on the "Start" button. This has the same effect as tapping your key card inside the car; you'll be able to drive home no problem.

I see, so if say I lost everything, my iPhone & wallet (that has key card), I could still resort to using another phone to call my parents and tell them to click the start button even if I'm 200 miles away?

Now that I went through this, I will be more prepared with the key card especially when going out far.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
I see, so if say I lost everything, my iPhone & wallet (that has key card), I could still resort to using another phone to call my parents and tell them to click the start button even if I'm 200 miles away?

Now that I went through this, I will be more prepared with the key card especially when going out far.

You sure can remote “start” the car. It’s pretty nice to have as a backup.

You sure can. They could be on the other side of the world. As long as your parents or anyone with the Tesla app or any app for that matter (stats, tesla remote etc...) can sign in with your credentials and connect to the car, they can remotely Unlock and start your car. Now if you had an ICE and lost your keys...you‘d be SOL. Another option is to use a friends phone or helpful stranger, to DL the tesla app, sign in and remote unlock and start the car yourself. Don’t forget to sign out after....especiallly if its a strangers phone. One thing to keep in mind. If you’re parked in an underground garage or your lte connectivity is broken for some reason and they can’t connect to the car...your still SOL.

Last edited:

Yes. Clicking the Start button on any phone that has been setup as a key for your car is exactly the same as tapping the key card to the console in the car.

As previously pointed out, the only limitation of this is that the car needs to have network connectivity, either LTE or WiFi.

Pretty harsh. The guy was pretty open about what happened, didn't blame the car at or rant or anything like that. Just posted it as a cautionary tale of "here's a scenario you probably thought would never happen, but did".
Ya, this dude expects every Tesla owner to not be aware of the unexpected.
Yes. Clicking the Start button on any phone that has been setup as a key for your car is exactly the same as tapping the key card to the console in the car.

As previously pointed out, the only limitation of this is that the car needs to have network connectivity, either LTE or WiFi.
Well, I pay $10 month for the internet radio / slacker. Does that mean I have LTE on the Tesla, which you must pay for?

I assume you will need to be in an area with cellular signal. Hopefully I'm not on some dirt road with no cellular signal.

Well, I pay $10 month for the internet radio / slacker. Does that mean I have LTE on the Tesla, which you must pay for?

I assume you will need to be in an area with cellular signal. Hopefully I'm not on some dirt road with no cellular signal.

Even if you don’t pay for the Premium Subscription, the car’s still connected over LTE. It’s pretty awesome - Tesla pays for that basic functionality. All good there — you can always use the app remotely whether or not you pay the $10/mo.
But yes - you need to be in an area with signal. Not too many places left in the US where there’s absolutely nothing. You kinda gotta work at it to find those spots now. Keep in mind the car has a MUCH better antenna than your mobile phone - it’s just physics; the RF engineers have to squish an antenna into your handset. They don’t have to do that in the car - plenty of room to install a tuned antenna. My point is, the car will get LTE or 3G in places where your phone won’t.

Reactions: Phlier
Even if you don’t pay for the Premium Subscription, the car’s still connected over LTE. It’s pretty awesome - Tesla pays for that basic functionality. All good there — you can always use the app remotely whether or not you pay the $10/mo.
But yes - you need to be in an area with signal. Not too many places left in the US where there’s absolutely nothing. You kinda gotta work at it to find those spots now. Keep in mind the car has a MUCH better antenna than your mobile phone - it’s just physics; the RF engineers have to squish an antenna into your handset. They don’t have to do that in the car - plenty of room to install a tuned antenna. My point is, the car will get LTE or 3G in places where your phone won’t.

Haha, you've never been to Texas, have you?

(I understand. Grew up in NY, lived there and NJ for 30 plus years of my life).

Haha, you've never been to Texas, have you?

(I understand. Grew up in NY, lived there and NJ for 30 plus years of my life).

Plenty of time in Texas (work, mostly) but I figure if you're in a spot off the network, it's because you want to be... :)

Know The Woodlands well. Used to work for a two-letter (now, three letter) technology company that had its HQ in Houston. Might start with a Hew and end with an Ard. ;-)

Have you considered getting a Tesla Ring for you to wear on your ring finger and use that if needed? So if you lose your cell phone, or your wallet with your Tesla key card, you can still get into your car and drive off with that ring.

Reactions: Phlier
Have you considered getting a Tesla Ring for you to wear on your ring finger and use that if needed? So if you lose your cell phone, or your wallet with your Tesla key card, you can still get into your car and drive off with that ring.
That's a really nice option for beach goers, skiiers, etc. And if even the ring is still too lifestyle cramping for you, you can always get an implanted chip!