Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

iPhone X pairing issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve had my Tesla 100D for 8 months. Upgraded to iPhone X a few months ago and pairing is terrible. I’m so frustrated that the two most advanced products on the market don’t work well together. Speaker phone garbled. Can’t see any contacts or previous calls. Jumps from Bluetooth to handheld randomly. I can stream music from my phone though and unlock and start from my phone. When will Tesla fix this? really disappointing.

Interesting. There’s been lots of posts claiming poor blue tooth quality and when I took my car to Tesla service center they told me that Tesla technology hasn’t caught up with iPhone X technology. I guess not happening in all cars. Your Lucky.

Interesting. There’s been lots of posts claiming poor blue tooth quality and when I took my car to Tesla service center they told me that Tesla technology hasn’t caught up with iPhone X technology. I guess not happening in all cars. Your Lucky.
Do you have an Apple Watch (especially the LTE version)?

If you do, put the Apple Watch in airplane mode and give it a try.

Bluetooth issues with Teslas and iPhone+Apple Watch are a know issue. Of course, putting the Apple Watch in airplane mode should not be a "fix" for the problem, but it is currently a workaround.

By the way, this seems to be a recurring problem with other car brands as well. There are a bunch of threads on the Apple forums about it and how getting the Apple Watch out of the equation seems to improve things.

I have no Bluetooth problems whatsoever with my iPhone X + Apple Watch (not the LTE version...) and my 5 years old Prius (waiting for my Tesla to be delivered in June). However, I test-drove a Model X for a couple of days and Bluetooth seemed to work fine.

• Informative
Reactions: mach.89
Speaker phone garbled.
What do you mean by speaker phone garbled?

Can’t see any contacts or previous calls.
That's an iOS security feature. When connected to the car, go to bluetooth devices on the phone settings. Click on the (i) next to the tesla and enable Sync contacts & calls

Jumps from Bluetooth to handheld randomly.
I have the same issue. Randomly when accepting a call on the car, the sounds goes to the phone.

I have a 2-month old Model S, had the same issues with my iPhone X, and couldn't get any satisfactory answers from Tesla. They kept telling me it was a firmware issue or iOS issue. Tried everything that was suggested (pairing & unpairing, rebooting my phone every time I stepped into the car, rebooting the MCU2, upgrading to newer firmware, etc.) but nothing worked and calls kept jumping between the phone and the car.

Separately, my 12V battery for my MCU2 died a couple of weeks ago and had to be replaced. As soon as I had a new 12V battery my problems with calls switching from the car to my handheld stopped and my Bluetooth connections held steady. I still have the issue that my contacts won't synch, but feels like a small victory that I can at least carry a conversation without the call jumping back and forth between the car and my phone.

So maybe ask Tesla if a weak 12V battery has anything to do with it?

Thanks Galinette, garbled as if I was underwater, no one can hear me on the other end. Just bought a external Bluetooth headset as a work around. I have sync contacts checked and under groups Phone favorites, phone recents and all contacts checked. I will try and remove and re install.

I have the same problem with my P100D and iPhone X. I also have an Apple Watch. I would try to suggestion to put it in airplane mode, but I currently have the car in the shop for this issue (and a separate unrelated issue).

I don't sync contacts or call history so I don't know if that is an issue, but I also have a problem with voice command hearing anything I say, at times.

I was told that they think it is a firmware issue (on the car), but they are waiting for feedback. They've kept my car for nearly a week.

I took delivery 3/21, Model S MCU2. Iphone X will pair, but bluetooth cuts in and out every 10 seconds or so. Doen't matter if its music or phone call. Last month Apple even gave me a new Iphone X (after multiple resets and reinstalling all the since both my wife's iphone 7 and daughter's Iphone 6 work flawlessly. Unfortunately no help. Was told be Tesla tech support that there is an issue with the Iphone X and Iphone 8 with the the 11.2 software, with the MCU2 and they are working with Apple to try and resolve it.

So my question, does anyone have an Iphone X running the latest Apple software that works with an MCU 2 car??

I have a 2-month old Model S, had the same issues with my iPhone X, and couldn't get any satisfactory answers from Tesla. They kept telling me it was a firmware issue or iOS issue. Tried everything that was suggested (pairing & unpairing, rebooting my phone every time I stepped into the car, rebooting the MCU2, upgrading to newer firmware, etc.) but nothing worked and calls kept jumping between the phone and the car.

Separately, my 12V battery for my MCU2 died a couple of weeks ago and had to be replaced. As soon as I had a new 12V battery my problems with calls switching from the car to my handheld stopped and my Bluetooth connections held steady. I still have the issue that my contacts won't synch, but feels like a small victory that I can at least carry a conversation without the call jumping back and forth between the car and my phone.

So maybe ask Tesla if a weak 12V battery has anything to do with it?

It likely wasn't that the battery was weak, but you got a "12V reset" by replacing the battery. Basically like unplugging your computer or modem when its locked up. I had that done early on to try and fix the MCU2 reset problem, but we've had a few software updates since then. Maybe its time to go back to the service center for another one.

This is 100% a tesla issue and remains a problem. My iPhone 11 Pro pairs perfectly with other cars, I’ve tested on a Honda, a Chevy, and a Lexus. Since getting an Apple Watch, it pairs with my Tesla Y about 15% of the time without needing to
manually pair each time I use the car. has anyone found a better fix to this issue than always having the Apple Watch in airplane mode? Its amazing to me Tesla has so many problems with Bluetooth, when every other car company has had this working well for about 15 years.