TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

iPhone X phone call garbled voice

Discussion in 'Model X' started by scsmx, Feb 1, 2018.

Tags:
?

Is your voice garbled when you are on a call?

1. Yes

78.0%
  2. No

22.0%
  1. scsmx

scsmx Member

When my iPhone X is connected to my model X and I make or receive a call, my voice sounds garbled. There is a thread on the subject at Apple iphone x & tesla bluetooth issues | Official Apple Support Communities and I was wondering if anyone on the forum is experiencing the same issue. I searched and found no thread on the subject. It looks like the problem is limited to the iPhone X, I have tried the iPhone 7 and had no issues. It would appear this is an Apple issue.

When the iPhone X was first released there were issues with Bluetooth connectivity, but that seems to have been resolved by either Tesla or Apple updates.

Thanks,

• Like x 1
  2. Lawsteve

Lawsteve MCATDT

Here: iPhone X Problem

Do you use AirPods with your phone? If so, after every time you connect the Airpods and before using the phone in your car you need to turn off Bluetooth on the phone (in settings (not the quick pop-up menu), and disconnect the phone in the car. Then turn on Bluetooth on the phone and recommend in the car. Appears to fix the problem, at least in my case (I am in a Model S, not an X).

3. scsmx

scsmx Member

No airpods, I will try your suggestion. thanks.

4. wang5150

wang5150 Member

Not sure if it's related, but there was an issue with Apple Watch 3, iPhone X and Bluetooth connectivity that was fixed in a recent update to the Apple Watch. During calls using Model X's speaker/mic, I can hear the caller, but they couldn't hear me.

After the update, all is working fine for me.

5. Racerx22b

Racerx22b @unplggdd on Instagram

I find that having my phone plugged into the car while using BT causes sound quality issues. If I use BT without being connected via USB I am told I sound better.

I have no idea if it's just coincidence or a thing.

6. GEAUXHOOKEM

GEAUXHOOKEM Member

I'm around 72 hours into MX ownership and I'm having the same issue. The car itself has been fantastic, but there appear to be some teething issues with regard to the iPhone X and the MX.

7. golfbern

golfbern Member

The whole phone experience has been extremely annoying. If I am on a call and bring it into the tesla, they can hear me but I can't hear them and have to end the call. Then randomly I get people telling me it sounds like I am a robot. Biggest pain in the ass for me as I am on calls a lot.

8. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Same issue here with Model S. No problems with iPhone 6 or 7 but my wife and I both just upgraded to the iPhone X and now garbled transmission from the car out (reception in the car is fine). We both have latest FW on phone and watch, still no improvement.

9. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Thanks for the tip, although that kind of loses the convenience of BT, also this never happened with previous iPhone models.

10. jeffro01

jeffro01 Active Member

Nope, no issues at all with my iPhone X and my Model S... I also have an Apple Watch Series 3 with LTE and also, no problems... I did have to go in an enable contact sync for the Model S in my iPHone's bluetooth settings but that's it...

Jeff

11. Lawsteve

Lawsteve MCATDT

I agree re inconvenience. I only experience the issue when I use my airpods on my iPhone X. The problem is that I will forget I used them until I am in the car, moving, and answer a call only to hear the caller complaining that they can’t hear me.

After I do the disconnect sequence I described above (not my idea - a solution mentioned in the thread to which I linked), my iPhone X works fine until I once again use my airpods.

12. scsmx

scsmx Member

Turning BT off and on in the car cleared the problem for one call. Works but not user friendly...

13. PrGrPa

PrGrPa Supporting Member

I’ve noticed a few Bluetooth connectivity problems with iPhone X with non-Tesla devices. Seems Apple software development might be the main problem. Though I suppose it’s not helped by ageing Bluetooth tech in the S and X.

I did have iPhone 7 connectivity problems with iOS 11 in my SO’s MB. Those stopped with an iOS update.

14. Singularity

Singularity Member

I have the same issue. Calls work fine on speakerphone, but as soon as I switch to the S I sound garbled to them. Also using an iPhone X and a LTE Apple Watch. Will try the suggestions above.

15. Lawsteve

Lawsteve MCATDT

FYI, SW update ver 4.1 does not change this behavior. I still am required to disconnect and reconnect my iPhone X from Bluetooth after every use of my airpods. I too believe this might be an Apple issue.

16. michael60013

michael60013 New Member

I have the same exact issue. Took delivery on 12/15.

I can stream bluetooth from my phone, works great.
    I can head the person on the phone via Bluetooth in Model X, works great.
    They hear my voice as garbled and I sound choppy.

This is my ONLY complaint since taking delivery. I have to use my iPhone X speaker phone when in the Tesla, which really shouldn't be. I have been in touch with Tesla support and they told me, "sounds like the Mic in your car needs to be replaced". I called the service center and they told me it is a firmware issue with iPhone, doesn't happen with Android and it might be fixed in the future. I would think a $100K car would have working Bluetooth. I have forget and reconnected many times, this doesn't solve it.

• Disagree x 1
  17. michael60013

michael60013 New Member

I have had this problem, since I picked up my X on 12/15/2017. Someone on the Apple forums on this exact same topic, suggested i put my Apple Watch in airplane mode and guess what, it solved it for me! Give it a try if you are having this problem

• Helpful x 1
  18. Lawsteve

Lawsteve MCATDT

When you do the “forget/reconnect” process, you need to make sure you turn off Bluetooth on the phone via the settings icon and not through the pull down control panel . If that doesn't work for you, I once again am useless!!!!

19. scsmx

scsmx Member

If I put my Apple Watch in Airplane mode, call quality is excellent. Seems to be associated with the iPhone and 2 active Bluetooth connection which includes the Tesla.

20. jace

jace Member

Interesting, I have the same issue. I do have an Apple Watch & AirPods. I will try the Bluetooth Toggle. I thought everyone telling me my voice quality sounded garbled was full of *sugar*. So I called my Google Voice and left a long voice mail , they were not joking , it sounds god awful.

• Informative x 1