Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

iPhone X phone calls (no sound & ppl can't hear me)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If this a thread elsewhere (I looked and couldn't find it) PLMK

I answer calls on the touchscreen and/or scroll button on the steering wheel but I can't hear anything and the caller can't hear me. I then need to switch the audio on my iPhone X from Tesla to iPhone and I am then able to talk on my phone.

Is this a parameter setting that I need to fix (on the car or the phone)?

FWIW, I have the most recent updates (both phone and car)... I also have an Apple Watch if that is a possible related variable.

I am only having issues with phone calls... my iPhone X pairs nicely with my model X. (bluetooth links well to play music, iCal and Contacts syncs without issue)

FWIW I had the same problem the other day on an old Android S5 and my Model X. I tried cycling the connection, turned off the phone and tried calling via the phone and Tesla. Same results. I did not try to reboot the car.

It went away the next day. Not sure what caused it and it might not be related to your problem at all.

Do you have a apple or android watch. Put that on airplane mode. I have this constant issue on my Model 3. I almost now turn off my watch in airplane mode to make/recieve bluetooth calls. Never had this issue in my Model S. I have not yet seen this on my Model X (but I am only 3 days old with MX)

I have this issue with my Apple Watch, iPhone X and my Model X P100D. From the SC I understand that the versions of Bluetooth both for Tesla and Apple came out almost the same time and they are frequently incompatible resulting in this type of failure. I put my watch in Airplane mode and phone seems to work better. Also, the phone volume (and ALL other volume levels for the various media sources is very poorly managed. Tesla should remember the desired volume level set for each source, not keep reverting to Level 0 (off).

welp... I just realized that the volume was turned to zero for phone calls... the volume for radio/streaming was fine...
somehow my volume for voice calls went to zero... it works now #embarrassing.

I'm having a similar issue ------- 317Kevin - when you say volume for voice calls, are you saying the volume on the steering wheel (scroll wheel), or is there a volume setting on your iPhone X? Just trying to figure out which one I need to adjust.

I'm having a similar issue ------- 317Kevin - when you say volume for voice calls, are you saying the volume on the steering wheel (scroll wheel), or is there a volume setting on your iPhone X? Just trying to figure out which one I need to adjust.
No, not on iPhone X.
I am referring to the volume on the scroll button located on the left of the steering wheel. It was turned down to zero while in car phone mode. Otherwise the music played fine.

Same issue on our 3 week old MX - iPhoneX and Applewatch. Poking around the web you can find lots of references to the issue. It seems there is no assured fix - first time it happened I put my Watch in AP mode and the iPhoneX and BT in the car worked properly. Next time it didn't solve the problem and I had to use the speaker phone on the iPhone. Then it just went away as an issue and has been working fine for over a week. I sent a note to customer service and they said bring it into a service center, but now it is fine so nothing to see.

I have also had volume issues where we turned the phone to max volume to hear someone and then after the call the car sound system was also at "11" and almost blew out our ears

In the other thread it was discovered that it’s a bug with syncing contacts. Delete the car from you phone. Delete the phone from the car. Reboot the car and the phone. Now re-pair your phone. This time DO NOT synch your contacts. Make sure this toggled off on the phone settings AND the car settings.

I did this and it works. But it sucks that you can’t see your contacts on the screen.

People couldn't hear me when I called them thru bluetooth with my iPhone X in my 2018 M3P.

I rebooted the screen by simultaneously pressing the 2 steering wheel scroll wheels and the problem went away.