TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

iPhone XS (Max) as a key

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by m3tx, Sep 26, 2018.

1. m3tx

m3tx Member

Upgraded from an iPhone X to an iPhone XS Max. (both on iOS 12)

In 2 months of ownership of the Model 3, the iPhone as a key has worked flawlessly, failed one time maybe.
    Have had the iPhone XS Max for 5 days, and it has "failed" dozens of time now; most often, I just need to wake up the phone and it works, others time it works but with a 2 second delay when trying to open the door.

Anybody else experienced this with the new iPhones?

2. PoitNarf

PoitNarf My dog's breath smells like dog food

Maybe try repairing your iPhone with the Model 3? I haven’t had a single problem since I got my Xs on Friday. As far as I know it’s the same exact hardware as what the Xs Max has save for the larger screen and battery.

Are you running the iOS 12.1 beta or just on regular iOS 12?

3. TurboCJ

TurboCJ Member

I have the XS Max as well but my M3D is in for paint correction so have not be able to try the key. I can say the Bluetooth connection to my AirPods has been horrible. Hopefully Apple will fix it with a software update.

• Like x 1
  4. m3tx

m3tx Member

regular iOS 12

5. HelloJohnny

HelloJohnny Member

I actually have the same issue as well but I have the iPhone X running iOS 12. I've already delete the app and repaired my phone to my phone key and still have issues every other time I open my door with my phone in my pocket.

I wonder if it's an iOS or Tesla issue tho.

6. siucity

siucity Button Pusher

Haven't had an issue (yet?) with my XS Max (iOS 12) as a key. Doors have opened on first attempt every time.

7. P3D_Denver

P3D_Denver Member

weird, i had the X and now Xs Max and find the Xs Max is flawless and quicker to connect. The X was slower to connect, but worked 90-95% of the time.

8. TravMor

TravMor Member

I switched from Android over to iPhone Xs Max. So far iPhone as key has worked every single time. Works much better than my Galaxy S9+ did, which failed pretty often.

9. Atari2600

Atari2600 Active Member

Does the Tesla app have full permissions including location "always"? I'm looking at getting a couple of XS Max to upgrade my older iPhones so I'm curious.

10. evpulse

evpulse Member

Went from 7 plus to XS Max and there were definitely a couple of hiccups connecting so far and none with my 7. Mine is also in for some PPF, so I will have to explore this more upon return.

11. jfrieden

jfrieden Member

I deleted my key and re-paired it in both the App and in the car and it's been working flawless since. I had no problems for a month till IOS 12 came around.

12. KenF

KenF Member

IOS 12 more aggressively unloads inactive apps so enabling “always on” location access and background refresh for the Tesla app is critical.

13. FinallyGotMyM3

I had an iPhone 7plus before and now have an XS max. Besides remembering to reopen the app on the new phone I’ve had no issues. Good luck !

14. bradhs

bradhs Member

I switched from an iPhone X to iPhone XS. Make sure the app is configured to background. Do you close you apps often? It's unnecessary on an iPhone, don't close them down, ever.

15. zackmilo

zackmilo Professional moron

My X occasionally has problems connecting. Waiting on my XS Max and will see. So far, with iOS 12, my bluetooth has sucked and it can not even connect to my cars MCU and my AirPods

16. cwerdna

cwerdna Active Member

iPhone XS and XS Max Teardown seems to show a different chip for XS vs. XS Max: "Apple/USI 339S00551 (XS) and 338S00540 (XS Max) WiFi/Bluetooth SoC"

• Informative x 1
  17. Rockster

Rockster Active Member

Xs Max working fine with my Model 3.

18. tambam

tambam Member

XS Max. I had to delete and re-add the phone key after switching phones. Since then it's been flawless. Haven't had it not work yet.

• Like x 1
  19. darrenSt

darrenSt Member

Iphone 6s. Flawless until iOS 12 update. Now rarely opens the door unless I first launch the app. Looks like the app isn't functioning 100% in background mode.

20. zackmilo

zackmilo Professional moron

XS max is working much better than my X.