TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

iPhone XS (Max) as a key

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by m3tx, Sep 26, 2018.

1. outie

outie Active Member

My Max didn’t work very well the first few days (both car and phone arrived within a day of each other). Now it seems to work pretty consistently. Seems like they needed some break in period.

2. redscott

redscott Member

Went from iPhone 6S+ to iPhone XS (not max). so far have not had issues, though i did double check that background mode was enabled

3. the_danimal

the_danimal Member

The phone as a key requires me to wake the car up from the phone before using it, at least for me. If I’m at work for 8 hours or about to head to work after a night of charging, it asks me to use the keycard. If I wake the vehicle up from the app prior, it works fine.

Is this working as intended? I guess I never assumed I needed to first launch the app on the way to the vehicle.

Background Refresh is set to on and Location Services is set to always. Have an iPhone Xs Max.

4. outie

outie Active Member

No that’s not working as intended. If I selected my Model 3 (instead of my X) in the app then it works all the time, namely opening the door unlocks the car and I can put the car in D immediately. It doesn’t matter I was charging the car prior. The only time I have an issue like yours is when I have my X selected in the app. Also have a XS max here.

5. the_danimal

the_danimal Member

Grrr. So frustrating. Not sure what to do to fix it other than what I’m doing or reinstalling the app.

6. bradhs

bradhs Member

XS... 0 issues, v9 firmware.

7. TurboCJ

TurboCJ Member

iOS 12.0.1 had a bunch of Bluetooth and WiFi bug fixes that resolved my issue. Also running v9 in the car.

8. Abnoidz

Abnoidz Member

I had an iphone X and didn't have an issue until I switched to the iphone XS max and started having issues ( not opening until I bring out my phone closer to the car) I deleted stored ipnone X key from the history and repaired my iphone XS max and so far it had gotten better. hope that helps.

9. Atari2600

Atari2600 Active Member

So I got a XS max 7 days ago and had no problems. I kept my 7 Plus as it will go to a suffering Android using family member but for now it's a secondary key for my car. I have had zero problems.

Since the car and app like to always talk together I normally do not use low power mode but on the XS max I've been putting it in low power mode over night and charging it at work in the morning on a wireless desk charger. I noticed when I use low power mode my car is very reluctant to wake up remotely. When I keep the phone out of low power mode it's not a problem.