Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

iPhone XS Unlock

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just swapped my iPhone X for an XS last Friday. I've noticed that it isn't keen to unlock the car unless it is also unlocked. If I walk up and the car doesn't immediately unlock, I usually just need to pop it out of my pocket and take a peek, and the car's unlocked. Doesn't happen every time, but definitely more frequently than before. I almost never needed to take my iPhone X out for walk-up unlock.

Anyone else observing anything similar? Possibly a BLE change on the XS? For the record, I had iOS 12 on the iPhone X and didn't see this.

Make sure you give the App maximum permissions.
553491F6-878E-44B9-B2D0-2C40F7848D27.jpeg

Location access must be set to “Always” for reliable operation. Otherwise, the iPhone XS periodically unloads the Tesla app from memory and your phone may not connect to the car.

Last edited:
I just swapped my iPhone X for an XS last Friday. I've noticed that it isn't keen to unlock the car unless it is also unlocked. If I walk up and the car doesn't immediately unlock, I usually just need to pop it out of my pocket and take a peek, and the car's unlocked. Doesn't happen every time, but definitely more frequently than before. I almost never needed to take my iPhone X out for walk-up unlock.

Anyone else observing anything similar? Possibly a BLE change on the XS? For the record, I had iOS 12 on the iPhone X and didn't see this.
I have exactly the same issue. It doesn't unlock the car unless I wake the phone up / peek first.

iOS12 was the first time I had a single phone-as-key issue with my iPhone X. It only happened maybe once or twice, but enough to be annoying. Just updated to 12.0.1. We'll see if it helps.

It was also occasionally taking way too long to find my Airpods and being generally flakey. Not thrilled with 12. It's not bad, just not perfect.

• Disagree
Reactions: CATTACK
Apple updated my iOS to 12.0.1 yesterday and I've lost the phone connection to my Model 3. It connects to a bunch of random "devices" with a string of numbers, but not Tesla. Has anyone else experienced this? I might try to revert back to 12 and see if that fixes it.

^^^ Weird.
FWIW, iOS 12.0.1 connects to my airpods more reliably and quickly than 12.0. Haven't had any car key issues with it, but to be fair, I only had issues twice on 12.0 (which are the only 2 times I've ever had issues with the phone key on the car, period, so that was a lot for me).

^^^ Weird.
FWIW, iOS 12.0.1 connects to my airpods more reliably and quickly than 12.0. Haven't had any car key issues with it, but to be fair, I only had issues twice on 12.0 (which are the only 2 times I've ever had issues with the phone key on the car, period, so that was a lot for me).
Phone key works fine. Bluetooth in the car for calls won't connect.

Before my XS came, I had a 7 Plus and I just had to walk up to the car. So I dunno. You might be right. All I know is that the behavior changed with the new phone.

Were you already running IOS 12 before you switched to the XS? If not then 2 things were changed - both the hardware and IOS - and I have seen with previous IOS upgrades/updates where Apple would break significant functionality in the initial release and then eventually fix issues in subsequent point releases. May not be what is going on in your specific case - but a possibility.

shouldn't it work that way? I want to have to unlock the phone for the doors to open. Someone can steal the car (assuming they know where it is), without having to unlock the phone first.

If you want it to, but for me the issue is that it doesn't do this consistently. Sometimes my car will open without unlocking the phone and sometimes it won;t.