Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

iPhones overheat when using console wireless charger on my Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In about 20 to 30 minutes on the console wireless charger the iPhone pauses charging due to excess heat. This happens with or with out case.
Any solution? I’ve contacted Tesla Service who claims everything is within specifications, operating normally.

Reactions: Michael Sant
I've had very limited success with wireless charging of an iPhone 12 Pro Max and an iPhone 14 Pro Max in my 2021 Model Y. Usually it doesn't work. Or cycles on/off frequently - probably generating more heat than the minimal 'juice' that is added to the battery. This seems to be caused by poor alignment of the phone's charging coil and the coil in the Tesla charge pad.

Last edited:
The ginormous camera bump combined with the charging rings being a bit too low in the car is putting the coils just a *bit* too far away from each other and unaligned...creating heat. This is, IMHO, an Apple problem and not a Tesla problem. Also, I'm not an electrical engineer by any stretch so my understanding of why it's creating heat might be wrong. This is the internet, though, so I'm sure I'll be corrected shortly. I look forward to that, actually!

I've solved this (mostly) with a MagBack charger that mounts on the top corner of the screen. It's expensive at close to $100 in the US but it's by far the best solution out there. I really don't like my phone on the MagBack for most driving since I'm not interacting with it, so I'll put it there until :
  • it gets to a full charge, then put it in the car's charging dock or
  • if I need to manipulate it (change song/podcast is about all I do) then put it back in the car's charging dock, or
  • if I'm using the phone for navigation I'll leave it there since Apple Maps' voice commands and map display are light years ahead of Tesla.
I'm actively looking for something that will fix the MY charging dock space, but no idea what that might be. I'd love to see a 3-D printed spacer with a place to mount a MagSafe disk in or near the car's phone dock and then run it to the USB-C plugs somehow. There's room to have a stand that holds the phone angled just below the screen if I can just get a mount that works. At some point, I might give in and get a printer myself. Seems like an expensive solution.

Reactions: X Fan
My iPhone12 (regular) gets hot and barely charges in the 2023 Model Y wireless charger pad (left side). My phone doesn't get hot on my 2 different Qi chargers on my desks. There is a nice teardown video (
) showing there are 2 coils: low and center on each side (left & right). The power output is 15W x 2 output of the entire wireless charger assembly (left and right).

Just guessing here: Is maybe the wrong coil (lower?) being powered when the other (center) coil should be powered? Maybe there's a defect in the charging pad? I think I'll put in a service ticket. Bizarre.

My wife stores hand sanitzer and stuff in the right side; maybe that's all one can really use these most exquisite "bins" for. Geez.

I have some experience with an iPhone 12 Pro Max and an iPhone 14 Pro Max in a 2021 Tesla Model Y LR. Neither will charge reliably on the car's charging pad, regardless of orientation. Maybe 1 in 10 times it'll seem to work for a few minutes, and then disconnects.

Case type used or not used also seems to not matter. Other non-Apple phones do charge reliably on the charging pad. Wired charging of course works well - and faster than the charge pad.

Reactions: Magnus0322
My experience with a iPhone 13 Pro is that it seems to charge pretty quickly every time I've placed it there. That said, I've only charged it that way about 5 times total. It does get warm, but no warmer than when it is being charged with a 20w regular plugged version. I almost always use the USB-C to Lightning plug in the car otherwise. My phone says the battery health is at 99%.

The ginormous camera bump combined with the charging rings being a bit too low in the car is putting the coils just a *bit* too far away from each other and unaligned...creating heat. This is, IMHO, an Apple problem and not a Tesla problem. Also, I'm not an electrical engineer by any stretch so my understanding of why it's creating heat might be wrong. This is the internet, though, so I'm sure I'll be corrected shortly. I look forward to that, actually!

I've solved this (mostly) with a MagBack charger that mounts on the top corner of the screen. It's expensive at close to $100 in the US but it's by far the best solution out there. I really don't like my phone on the MagBack for most driving since I'm not interacting with it, so I'll put it there until :
  • it gets to a full charge, then put it in the car's charging dock or
  • if I need to manipulate it (change song/podcast is about all I do) then put it back in the car's charging dock, or
  • if I'm using the phone for navigation I'll leave it there since Apple Maps' voice commands and map display are light years ahead of Tesla.
I'm actively looking for something that will fix the MY charging dock space, but no idea what that might be. I'd love to see a 3-D printed spacer with a place to mount a MagSafe disk in or near the car's phone dock and then run it to the USB-C plugs somehow. There's room to have a stand that holds the phone angled just below the screen if I can just get a mount that works. At some point, I might give in and get a printer myself. Seems like an expensive solution.
I’ve seen someone place a silicone charging mat over a MagSafe charger on the Model 3 charging area.