TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Ipod as key-fob

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Recumpence, May 13, 2018.

1. Recumpence

Recumpence Member

Hey Guys,

My phone is a Note 8. It is freaking HUGE especially with a protective case. I have always hated using my phone as a key because it is so big and, also, because I use my car to visit clients. I would rather leave my phone in the car while I am visiting clients.

I began looking for the smallest phone I could find to use as a key. However, even the smallest smartphones are larger than I would like and I felt it would be strange to have another phone just to use as a key. Then it came to me; "Why not use an ipod?" So, as a test, I grabbed my wife's ipod touch and download the Tesla app. Sure enough, it paired as a key just fine! Now I just need to varify that I can remove my Note-8 as a key but still have it setup as my phone when the car is activated [to take calls]. All I need to do is buy a new [basic] I-pod, set it up as a key, and use that as my key-fob. It is small, slim, and can be left in my pocket indefinitely.

Matt

• Informative x 1
  2. Recumpence

Recumpence Member

I found a caveat......

Ok, so, it is possible to use an i-pod as a key while your phone is only a phone. However, for some reason, if you leave your phone in the car (phone is setup as a phone/Bluetooth device but NOT a key), the walk away lock ceases working. You must lock the car by the app. If you lock it by the screen icon, you cannot re-enter the car without tapping the card key to the pillar.

Frustrating. You can used the i-pod as a key, but your phone must not be connected to the car in any way in order for the i-pod to thusly work as a normal keyfob.

Matt

• Informative x 1