Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

iPod Classic question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I just picked up my Model 3 a few days ago. I have an old iPod classic, 80GB, that I love, and obviously there's no AUX port in the Tesla. I tried the USB connected to the iPod, both ways, (disk use and non-disk use) and got nothing.

Does anyone know of a way to get audio from my iPod to come out of the speakers? It's not a huge deal but I'd really like to have it.

So I just picked up my Model 3 a few days ago. I have an old iPod classic, 80GB, that I love, and obviously there's no AUX port in the Tesla. I tried the USB connected to the iPod, both ways, (disk use and non-disk use) and got nothing.

Does anyone know of a way to get audio from my iPod to come out of the speakers? It's not a huge deal but I'd really like to have it.

You would need to extract the music to a USB device and use that. Model 3 has no interface for interfacing directly with "music players" like ipods (or phones,) using USB audio. Phones are supported via bluetooth audio, which your i dont think old ipod classics have.

If you have an old iPod it's likely you also have some old iTunes purchases. Beware that before like 2012 all songs purchased from iTunes were encrypted and can not be played on anything accept an Apple device. And if you do just dump those on a USB key and the Tesla runs into one the whole music app just crashes. (tried this myself and ran into this issue)

They make little USB bluetooth dongles with aux inputs. Maybe you could plug one of those into the car and sync it like a phone, then plug the iPod into it. Just beware of which one you get. Some have a feature where they can act as both a transmitter and a receiver, and the way they switch is by being plugged and unplugged. So every other time you turned on your car it would be in the wrong mode. Just get one that's transmit only or has some sort of manual switch to change the mode.

I still had this one in my cart from when I was considering adding a Sirius/XM antenna to the car....

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TLVJWQ5

It has a physical switch for transmit and receive.

If you have an old iPod it's likely you also have some old iTunes purchases. Beware that before like 2012 all songs purchased from iTunes were encrypted and can not be played on anything accept an Apple device. And if you do just dump those on a USB key and the Tesla runs into one the whole music app just crashes. (tried this myself and ran into this issue)

They make little USB bluetooth dongles with aux inputs. Maybe you could plug one of those into the car and sync it like a phone, then plug the iPod into it. Just beware of which one you get. Some have a feature where they can act as both a transmitter and a receiver, and the way they switch is by being plugged and unplugged. So every other time you turned on your car it would be in the wrong mode. Just get one that's transmit only or has some sort of manual switch to change the mode.

I still had this one in my cart from when I was considering adding a Sirius/XM antenna to the car....

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TLVJWQ5

It has a physical switch for transmit and receive.

Why couldnt one just export those songs from their itunes library as mp3s? Does it not allow those old purchases to be exported from itunes?

Why couldnt one just export those songs from their itunes library as mp3s? Does it not allow those old purchases to be exported from itunes?

Right. Music downloaded from Apple Music (i.e. that you get to listen to via the streaming service, not the stuff you own for the most part) - has DRM wrappers around it.

They're removable with the right software.

Right. Music downloaded from Apple Music (i.e. that you get to listen to via the streaming service, not the stuff you own for the most part) - has DRM wrappers around it.

They're removable with the right software.

That part I knew, but @Dan203 was talking about old purchases from itunes before 2012, so apple music didnt exist then. That would have been purchases (that a person should be able to export), or things personally added to itunes, that someone should be able to export... unless I am mis remembering, which is totally possible.

I like the bluetooth adapter idea, but alternatively you can go with an FM Transmitter - depending on the model you get, it'll either attach to the dock connector or to the headphone jack and broadcast on an FM station; tune into it with the radio and there's your music.

For example:
https://smile.amazon.com/Scosche-FMRDSA-tuneFREQ-Transmitter-iPhone/dp/B0065V3XNO

(That's not a specific product endorsement; I haven't tried any of these in many years... and don't know how well they'd work in the M3)

I came across Mod Your 5G Video IPod With Internal Bluetooth recently, which briefly covers adding Bluetooth INTERNALLY to old iPod systems. You dismantle the iPod, replace the hard drive with a CF card to leave more room inside and add a generic BT module. While you don’t need to worry about killing your expired warranty doing this, it obviously isn’t a process for everyone. If you don’t like the CF card capacities/costs that are available, companies also sell CF card to SD card adapters, letting you use cards like 256 GB cards in this upgrade process.

That part I knew, but @Dan203 was talking about old purchases from itunes before 2012, so apple music didnt exist then. That would have been purchases (that a person should be able to export), or things personally added to itunes, that someone should be able to export... unless I am mis remembering, which is totally possible.

actually, the FairPlay DRM goes all the way back to 2003-2004 or so. Original iTunes Store music purchases were wrapped in FairPlay. They stopped using it a few years ago, but then when Apple Music came around, they started using it again.

So anywhere you see an “.m3p” or “.m4p” file (MP3/MP4 protected) - those are wrapped in FairPlay DRM. Could be old iTunes purchases, or Apple Music purchases ..... different, but the same. :)

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin