Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ipod Classic works with USB-C adapter. Control from Tesla screen.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My brand new M3 has only USB-C inputs (except the USB port in the glove box, but that's for the dashcam thumbdrive). USB-C must be the wave of the future because my new Samsung phone had only a C to C charging cable. (USB-C is the tiny flat-oval jack that can be plugged in up or down.)

I bought a USB-C adapter today at Best Buy and plugged my ancient Ipod classic, that has over 14,000 songs on it, into the USB-C jack in the front storage compartment. The Tesla scanned and uploaded the database in about 15 minutes, and now I can leave the Ipod in the storage compartment and control it from the screen, selecting by artist or album. The only drawback is that it does not recognize playlists.

At lunch I will test voice commands to select songs and artists.

You can do the same thing with any USB storage device.... (which is why it's working for you, the older non-IOS ipods could present as basic USB storage)
Aha! So that's good news because it means the Tesla is probably taking the data stream and using its newer and superior processors to create the music from the file, rather than the Ipod's dual 80Mhz chips. That also means I could just dump a bunch of music on a portable hard drive and plug it in, too.

That's my project for tonight. Dump every kind of FLAC, ALAC, AAIF, MP3, WAV, and DSD on a USB drive and see which ones the Tesla will play.

I wonder if Folders could take the place of Playlists? Or I could practice renaming the Genre of all the songs I want in a playlist to something specific, and then tell the car to play that Genre.

awesome! Album art on the Tesla screen?
Sorry, I don't see it.

Another funny aside, if I have the Ipod playing and I try Voice Command "Play song Abandoned Masquerade", it will ignore that Diana Krall song on my Ipod and switch the input to Streaming instead. Comparing the two inputs, they both sounded really good, no noticeable difference listening above the road noise.

I did this with an ipod classic..... but I am a crazy person and set it away to upgrade the hard drive inside to 240 gb.... and enabled disc access so I could just drag and drop any mp3s or AIFFs that I wanted on the drive. Now I am trying to sort out the duplicates, that is a pain. The iPod sleeps in the front of the console on my MX 100D and attaches by a USB cable under the console to the USB port in the car. I have LOTS of music!

Reactions: Taxvictim
Aha! So that's good news because it means the Tesla is probably taking the data stream and using its newer and superior processors to create the music from the file, rather than the Ipod's dual 80Mhz chips. That also means I could just dump a bunch of music on a portable hard drive and plug it in, too.

iPod DACs were actually pretty good (if that's what you mean by "create the music", older ones used an outstanding Wolfson DAC.

But anyway, yes, it's just reading the files like any USB storage device with digital media, which is also why you're not getting album art, that's currently non-functional for USB sourced audio files. :confused:

(Everyone is hopeful the brand new major version of the OS will fix this, whenever it's released in the next 2 weeks ... or 2 years ...)

There's a USB port in the glovebox????? I'm going to head outside and confirm that for myself lol. Or is that just for new cars? Mine is a 2019.

Started in '21 models. :cool:

Speaking of iPods, and this is a touch OT but @mbp11 reminded me of it ...

Several years I knocked around with an alternate firmware/OS called RockBox, pretty cool, I don't think there's been much activity on the project in the last couple of years, but for those folks who want a slicker UI, some neat plugins, the ability to play (as in, directly from the iPod itself) FLAC files, and simple, direct, filesystem access, it's pretty cool.

Reactions: superblast
My brand new M3 has only USB-C inputs (except the USB port in the glove box, but that's for the dashcam thumbdrive). USB-C must be the wave of the future because my new Samsung phone had only a C to C charging cable. (USB-C is the tiny flat-oval jack that can be plugged in up or down.)

I bought a USB-C adapter today at Best Buy and plugged my ancient Ipod classic, that has over 14,000 songs on it, into the USB-C jack in the front storage compartment. The Tesla scanned and uploaded the database in about 15 minutes, and now I can leave the Ipod in the storage compartment and control it from the screen, selecting by artist or album. The only drawback is that it does not recognize playlists.

At lunch I will test voice commands to select songs and artists.
I tried that with my iPod Nano. No joy. Am I doing something wrong?

There's a USB port in the glovebox????? I'm going to head outside and confirm that for myself lol. Or is that just for new cars? Mine is a 2019.

Thats for new cars (someone likely said that already). Pretty sure its 2020+

Edit: Yep, I should have read to the end of the thread before replying, cause now it looks like I am piling on. Didnt intend to do that, sorry (although I am going to leave the post here because I made it in the first place).