Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ipod Classic works with USB-C adapter. Control from Tesla screen.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Isn't this for the Sentry mode flash drive?
I can't speak to the USB port in the glove box on newer cars, but on my 2019 Model 3, it's possible to partition a USB flash drive or SSD so that it can both hold music and store Sentry Mode/Dashcam recordings. There are several threads on how to do this on this forum, including this one and this one. There are also OS-specific threads for Windows and macOS, since the tools used differ by OS.

Reactions: Taxvictim
Well the joke is on me! My dashcam has never worked right since Day 1. Last night I hit the "Format USB Drive" assuming it would re-format only the Tesla thumbdrive in the glove box. This morning my entire iPod Classic was erased! :rolleyes:
Ouch! Hopefully you had it backed up. Or if not there may be data recovery tools like Recuva that might help, but it might not work if there is DRM.

You mean one of these??? Funny, got one in my drawer that still works. With the spinning drive in it. Still can sell it for $75-100 on eBay...rofl.

Attachments

• ipod.jpeg
    ipod.jpeg
    34.7 KB · Views: 152
Reactions: ArtK and Taxvictim
So I re-loaded the Ipod Classic and plugged it back into the car. The car will not recognize it! It does not show a USB input. I guess I will try a solid state hard-drive next.

My car goes in for service next week. The dashcam has never worked and the Sentry mode only "sorta" works. I have tried multiple USB drives including the one provided by Tesla. Other threads say this is due to the "old and new" Tesla computer systems not showing the car as delivered. I hope the dealer will fix these issues and get my Dashcam and USB inputs working normally. That is my sole complaint about this car. Otherwise it's the best car I've ever owned.

Did you set the ipod to disk mode?

And yeah, not marked as delivered is usually the problem when dashcam isn't working, ever, post delivery.

It's a sign of Teslas pretty terrible internal IT that it comes up so often.

My brand new M3 has only USB-C inputs (except the USB port in the glove box, but that's for the dashcam thumbdrive). USB-C must be the wave of the future because my new Samsung phone had only a C to C charging cable. (USB-C is the tiny flat-oval jack that can be plugged in up or down.)

I bought a USB-C adapter today at Best Buy and plugged my ancient Ipod classic, that has over 14,000 songs on it, into the USB-C jack in the front storage compartment. The Tesla scanned and uploaded the database in about 15 minutes, and now I can leave the Ipod in the storage compartment and control it from the screen, selecting by artist or album. The only drawback is that it does not recognize playlists.

At lunch I will test voice commands to select songs and artists.
Can you post a link to the 30 pin ipod to usb c connector? I haven't been able to find it. Thanks

I don’t presume anyone’s found a FireWire port on their Model 3?

Guess I’m out.

Yes, it’s officially 20 years old. And yes, it still works. Absolutely love this thing. What a revolution it started.

View attachment 750027View attachment 750028
Nice! Looks clean too.

There are FW to USB adapters (don’t know about USB-C but that’s a cheap second adapter)

Might also look for a USB/USB-C hub with an FW port.

I used to have some adapters, I’ll have to see if they’re in an easy to access location, but I don’t have any FW devices any longer. 🤓

My brand new M3 has only USB-C inputs (except the USB port in the glove box, but that's for the dashcam thumbdrive). USB-C must be the wave of the future because my new Samsung phone had only a C to C charging cable. (USB-C is the tiny flat-oval jack that can be plugged in up or down.)

I bought a USB-C adapter today at Best Buy and plugged my ancient Ipod classic, that has over 14,000 songs on it, into the USB-C jack in the front storage compartment. The Tesla scanned and uploaded the database in about 15 minutes, and now I can leave the Ipod in the storage compartment and control it from the screen, selecting by artist or album. The only drawback is that it does not recognize playlists.

At lunch I will test voice commands to select songs and artists.
If only my iPod classic still worked.