Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ipod Classic works with USB-C adapter. Control from Tesla screen.

srs5694

Jan 15, 2019
Woonsocket, RI
Isn't this for the Sentry mode flash drive?
I can't speak to the USB port in the glove box on newer cars, but on my 2019 Model 3, it's possible to partition a USB flash drive or SSD so that it can both hold music and store Sentry Mode/Dashcam recordings. There are several threads on how to do this on this forum, including this one and this one. There are also OS-specific threads for Windows and macOS, since the tools used differ by OS.

Reactions: Taxvictim

stopcrazypp

Dec 8, 2007
Well the joke is on me! My dashcam has never worked right since Day 1. Last night I hit the "Format USB Drive" assuming it would re-format only the Tesla thumbdrive in the glove box. This morning my entire iPod Classic was erased! :rolleyes:
Ouch! Hopefully you had it backed up. Or if not there may be data recovery tools like Recuva that might help, but it might not work if there is DRM.

techlogik

Closed
Mar 22, 2021
FL
You mean one of these??? Funny, got one in my drawer that still works. With the spinning drive in it. Still can sell it for $75-100 on eBay...rofl.

Attachments

• ipod.jpeg
    ipod.jpeg
    34.7 KB · Views: 0

Taxvictim

Aug 26, 2021
Raleigh, NC
So I re-loaded the Ipod Classic and plugged it back into the car. The car will not recognize it! It does not show a USB input. I guess I will try a solid state hard-drive next.

My car goes in for service next week. The dashcam has never worked and the Sentry mode only "sorta" works. I have tried multiple USB drives including the one provided by Tesla. Other threads say this is due to the "old and new" Tesla computer systems not showing the car as delivered. I hope the dealer will fix these issues and get my Dashcam and USB inputs working normally. That is my sole complaint about this car. Otherwise it's the best car I've ever owned.

Knightshade

Jul 31, 2017
NC
Did you set the ipod to disk mode?

And yeah, not marked as delivered is usually the problem when dashcam isn't working, ever, post delivery.

It's a sign of Teslas pretty terrible internal IT that it comes up so often.

Taxvictim

Aug 26, 2021
Raleigh, NC
Did you set the ipod to disk mode?

And yeah, not marked as delivered is usually the problem when dashcam isn't working, ever, post delivery.

It's a sign of Teslas pretty terrible internal IT that it comes up so often.
I didn't think this was necessary with the Ipod Classic, but I will try it. I didn't have to do this before.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC