Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Irma

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

KarenRei

ᴉǝɹuǝɹɐʞ
Jul 18, 2017
Iceland
So, Irma looks to be shaping up to be a big event for the US East Coast. So far it looks like North Carolina is probably most in the crosshairs, but there's still a good range on possibilities. Every model is however in agreement that it's going to be an incredibly powerful storm.

Are all of you getting prepared? As usual I'm going to be curious as to how well charging infrastructure holds up vs. gasoline infrastructure, since that's a commonly debated point. Texas superchargers seem to have weathered Harvey surprisingly well.

If you're at risk of flooding and you're not leaving, take the lessons learned from Harvey and elevate your vehicles! :)

If you're at risk of flooding and you're not leaving, take the lessons learned from Harvey and elevate your vehicles! :)

Good idea!

I'll try to get as many of the most valuable vehicles in my collection on my heliport as will fit. Wait. Wait. Turns out only my Model S is worth worrying about. And I have no heliport. And I'm 3,000 miles from Irma.

But it is good to think ahead about the next natural disaster ...like our California earthquakes. (I'm still uneasy about stopping on or under bridges and overpasses).

• Disagree
Reactions: Derek Kessler
But it is good to think ahead about the next natural disaster ...like our California earthquakes. (I'm still uneasy about stopping on or under bridges and overpasses).

You know... though this thread isn't about earthquakes... I can picture an earthquake safety app. The USGS broadcasts earthquake early warnings. If you're right on top of the epicentre you get little to no warning, but if you're hundreds of kilometers away there can be as much as a minute's warning. And either way, an earthquake isn't an instantaneous event; it takes time for destruction to occur. Teslas in the affected zone whose sensors detect that they're inside an enclosed area could automatically attempt to summon out of it (including using HomeLink to open garage doors) when they get a USGS warning, to get into a clear location outdoors. And of course its sensors can detect what defines a "clear" area.

Of course, they'd need to get summon to be more reliable and "smarter" to make that workable. But it's a neat possibility for the future.

Reactions: e-FTW and 365gtb4
So, it looks like the odds of a more southerly strike are rising. In particular the models seem to be liking a particularly nasty event which hits / skims the islands, hits / skims along Cuba's coast, turns North, hits south Florida, rides up Florida's east side (on or near offshore), back out to sea and then hits Georgia/South Carolina. According to the GFS it would be a wind/surge/rain event Florida but only a wind/surge event in SC/GA (that is to say, in Florida rainfalls would be 20+ inches but in GA/SC only 6-10 inches in the most affected areas. Then again, Florida is more used to heavy rainfall.

Regardless... stay safe, all of you!