Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

IRO Dashcam for AP1 doubts and questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not the kind of guy to use dashcams, but i just ended ordering a IRO dashcam for my AP1 S 85.

I've done some searching, but still have doubts about this:

- Is it possible to use the IRO dashcam and record it's footage while the car is parked?
- Can i use a SDD disk to save the footage from the IRO dashcam, instead of using a memory card?

Any help is appreciated

Last edited:
I can't speak to the one you ordered but a lot of Tesla owners, myself included, went with the 2 channel BlackVue dash cam:
BlackVue DR900S-2CH - 4K UHD + Full HD Two-Channel Cloud Dashcam

Records front and rear.

It records 24/7, saves to a micro card and, if you want, to the cloud. You can download videos by pulling the card and putting it in a computer and/or via wifi.

If it's not too late you might want to consider cancelling your order and go with BlackVue.

I'm not the kind of guy to use dashcams, but i just ended ordering a IRO dashcam for my AP1 S 85.

I've done some searching, but still have doubts about this:

- Is it possible to use the IRO dashcam and record it's footage while the car is parked?
- Can i use a SDD disk to save the footage from the IRO dashcam, instead of using a memory card?

Any help is appreciated

For always on follow this link: Dashcam Power Cable | TeslaTap

As for memory, you can stick a 256GB card.

Reactions: T.R.T.e.s.l.a.
Wow, thank you!

Regarding memory, is it not possible to connect the IRO to an SSD disk?
I've heard memory cards are not very good at intensive reading and writing data.

Dashcams need sdcards that can withstand the heat from the constant read/write + heat from the sun. Use ones specifically for dashcam, I believe like they are usually branded like "Endurance" from Sandisk or similar... they will all have markings specifically for dashcam-like camera usage.

Agree with what the others have said about IRO. I've had mine for nearly a year now and it has been absolutely rock solid!
But yes, there is no way to use an SSD with the camera, though larger SD cards may work. Also, you could probably make it record even when the car is off by wiring up to a constant 12v source, but I don't really know where one is near rear view mirror wiring.

Really my only annoyance is that there is no way (to my knowledge) to mute the barrage of beeps that it makes when powering up.
I have a high-endurance 64GB SD card in there and it saves ~1.5 weeks of footage. The WiFi downloading of clips can be wonky but is much more convenient than having to remove the SD card and have some device to download the clips onto.

Agree with what the others have said about IRO. I've had mine for nearly a year now and it has been absolutely rock solid!
But yes, there is no way to use an SSD with the camera, though larger SD cards may work. Also, you could probably make it record even when the car is off by wiring up to a constant 12v source, but I don't really know where one is near rear view mirror wiring.

Really my only annoyance is that there is no way (to my knowledge) to mute the barrage of beeps that it makes when powering up.
I have a high-endurance 64GB SD card in there and it saves ~1.5 weeks of footage. The WiFi downloading of clips can be wonky but is much more convenient than having to remove the SD card and have some device to download the clips onto.

Fo always on check the link Jamesus posted above.

Not a bad deal on IRO if you can wait for shipping. Use click through coupons where it says GET IT NOW then apply promo code IRODEALS at checkout.

Attachments

• 9047F174-3021-4125-8104-06728E182B62.jpeg
    9047F174-3021-4125-8104-06728E182B62.jpeg
    295.1 KB · Views: 395
I have had IRO for for almost two years. It’s only interface is micro sd so I bought Sandisk high capacity fast memory cards and they work great. I originally had it wired to constant 12v with a wireless switch that I operated through homelink. That worked most of the time, but once in a while homelink would not work automatically. I used it in a parking garage and thought it was adequate. When sentry mode came out I changed it to a switched circuit (mirror 12v). When sentry is on, the IRO is on too. That’s an easier setup.

I too have the IRO, works great. Can't use SSD but I've had no problems with my highspeed SD. Depending on how you wire the power, it records 24-7, that's the way mine works.

How did you wire it for constant power? I installed it on my 2015 85D hooking into the mirror connector as described in the instructions and it only runs when the car is active. It would be great to have it run all the time when parked.

How did you wire it for constant power? I installed it on my 2015 85D hooking into the mirror connector as described in the instructions and it only runs when the car is active. It would be great to have it run all the time when parked.
12v constant power in microphone grill where enhanced intrusion detection goes. It’s a short and easy wiring route to the IRO mounting at the mirror.