Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

IRO DashCam - Model S AP2 unboxing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Daniellane

The Tesla Guy
Supporting Member
I just received my Model S AP2 to DashCam which I purchased on eBay from China via DHL.
I chose it because included a polarizing filter to avoid glare and reflections from the windshield.
I also feel it is more elegant design than the topfit aesthetically speaking. I also checked out the app which seemed much better as well.
I initially tried to order it, however the seller informed me that Tesla had revised the housing for the Model S AP2 mirror several times affectind how well it fit . He had me remove the housing and send him the part number.
Then he ordered that part from Tesla so they could modify their parts for a perfect fit .
After more than a month of waiting he had me re-order it and it arrived today .
I have included photos of all packaging and components.
The packaging and documentation is extremely high quality and well designed.
I will attach pages from the instructions on another post.
I will attach pages from the instructions on subsequent posts
After I have attempted to install it, I will post additional information.
IMG_6985.jpg
IMG_6967.JPG
IMG_6969.JPG
IMG_6970.JPG

• Love
Reactions: lunitiks
I know it doesn't have all the specs, bells & whistles.
Not looking for an academy award for cinematography.
It was this or nothing. No wires showing!
It's virtually invisible from the interior.
The mirror hides it from view.
The tinted windows hide from the exterior.

It's installed. It was a snap!

Took less than 5 minutes for the physical install.
A few more for the APP...
I'm about to brave the smoke & ash here in Southwest WA for a quick test drive.
Will post video. I will test with & without polarizer. It's magnetic! so it lifts right off.

• Informative
Reactions: ICUDoc
but why? Everybody knows (good) dashcams are expensive so at times cars are broken into just for the dashcam.

For me, one of the benefits of a dashcam is for people to notice that the car has a dashcam. I agree that yes, there is a risk that a car may be broken into just for the dashcam, but actually what I have FAR more problems with is workplace antics (e.g. stealing your charging cable, keying your car because they think it's "their spot")…. And in those cases, I have personally found that misbehavior is avoided just by them realizing you have a camera recording.

I've actually turned numerous instances of footage to HR where someone started approaching my car and then looks directly into the camera and then walks away.

(I don't know how it is outside of Silicon Valley, but it never fails to amaze me how "free" shared resources literally brings out the worst in humankind)

Uploaded 3 clips to YouTube.
Very bad visibility from smoke.
Screen shot is from IRO_DashCam (Short Clip)
I think video quality on YouTube isn't reflective of actual Quality which is adequate. (1920x1080 30fps)
I didn't see much difference with polarizer on or off. Smoke may be a factor.

Screen Shot 2017-09-05 at 7.52.43 PM.png
IRO_DashCam (Short Clip)

Polarized

PolarizerOnThenOff

Did you rotate the polarizer to ensure the glare is cut off? I don't see it in your snapshots, reflection looks about the same.

The biggest negative impact of the polarizer would be seen during the night.

I get that this is a huge compromise. No GPS, No rear camera, No power when parked...
As I mentioned, For me, it was this or nothing at all. At $215, it probably cost less than installation alone.
If Tesla provides dash cam functionality to built-in cameras as mentioned in another thread, that would be even better.
Here's what it does have for those who may be interested...
Screen Shot 2017-09-05 at 8.59.12 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-09-05 at 9.00.22 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-09-05 at 9.02.27 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-09-05 at 9.02.47 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-09-05 at 9.03.12 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-09-05 at 9.03.32 PM.png