Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

IRO DashCam - Model S AP2 unboxing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is very impressive especially at this price. However, with no power to the unit when the car is off is a concern. I wonder why the developer didn't think of adding an external power input (possibly to the docking station or the 12 V source) which would mean the user would have to manually plug that in when the ca is parked. I am assuming that the two power sources mentioned above have power when the car is turned off. I have never tested that.

Reactions: UkrHog
I have the version of this unit designed for my 2016 S AP1 and it works just fine. I'm sure this unit has some shortcomings compared to the popular BlackVue, so the decision would come down to aesthetics and discreteness versus some features that the others have.

Rick, did you modify to connect to 24/7 power? Are you happy with it so far?

128 GB card works fine ;)
I have this one :

Lexar 128GB High-Performance 633x MicroSDXC UHS-I

View attachment 290775

Good for 20:50 hours of recording.
(with 1080/30)

Mars, is the 128GB still working good? I want to have it run 24/7 while not parked in my garage so it would be nice to be able to have the entire night recorded without being erased.

For Everyone else that has or wanted to connect 24/7 power:

I was thinking of getting a round mini push button switch that would have switched power when in, and 24/7 power when out (or maybe reversed, still thinking about it). It should be easy to drill a small hole on the side close to the lights so easy to see by the driver. Just some thoughts.

I am using IRO and am very pleased with it. I hooked it to continuous power, but put a small remote controlled latched switch between the dash cam and 12v continuous. The switch uses a wireless remote for on and off (latched = A button on and B button off) which I set up on homelink. Homelink shows Front Dash Cam On and Front Dash Cam Off. Makes it easy to select or operate automatically based on location. I got the switch on eBay from a Seller in China - there are a lot of choices at reasonable prices. I bought 2 so I have a backup - was about $25 including shipping. A simple and similar approach is to manually use the on/off button on the dash cam. I did that before getting the switch and works fine if you remember to turn it on and off. I am using a 128gb card and works great - had to format it FAT externally from the dash cam since the dash cam will only format max of 32gb, but it works fine. I just keep it on a continuous loop - on when I leave for work, stays on in the parking garage, and then off when I get home.

• Informative
Reactions: SDRick and jrmnet
I also considered full time recording but have not implemented. Overall I am happy with the camera, simple installation and factory looks.

tcoombes:

Thank you for the idea and information! Did you find continuous power by the mirror and install the switch in the same location? Also, can you provide a little bit more detail, especially the on-off interface based on location. Perhaps all I need is a link for the switch and I should be able to figure the rest out.

Early this afternoon I made an offer of $150 and was finally countered with $200. I tried to decline the counter offer and counter-counter $170 but the system does not let me do anything, except maybe accept the $200. Anyway, I will wait and try again. Maybe I should have just offered $180 like was done above. Oh, well.

Rick, did you modify to connect to 24/7 power? Are you happy with it so far?

Mars, is the 128GB still working good? I want to have it run 24/7 while not parked in my garage so it would be nice to be able to have the entire night recorded without being erased.

For Everyone else that has or wanted to connect 24/7 power:

I was thinking of getting a round mini push button switch that would have switched power when in, and 24/7 power when out (or maybe reversed, still thinking about it). It should be easy to drill a small hole on the side close to the lights so easy to see by the driver. Just some thoughts.

YES the 128GB is still working good. ;)
24/7

Mars1, while searching for the same SD card you have I also found the "Professional" model. I suspect that it may be able to stand up longer with more memory use cycles, but not sure.

Where do you recommend getting it and how much did you have to pay? Should we plan to have several on hand, or at least 2 of them to swap out?

Oh, and everyone else: I offered $150 and was counteroffered $200. I declined and re-offered $170 which was accepted. Therefore I paid the $185 ($170 + $15 shipping) just a few minutes ago. Now the wait....

I am using this card which works as well, once it is formatted, however, using the Camera/app to format the card does not work. I had no problem formatting it on a Mac. Just had to select MS-DOS FAT (FAT32) In the disk utility when formatting.

Samsung 128GB 100MB/s (U3) MicroSD EVO Select Memory Card with Adapter (MB-ME128GA/AM) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XWZWYVP/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_9ApoUDKpMSehh

0B1D839B-9214-40C2-806A-87AE27F6D896.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
Mars1, while searching for the same SD card you have I also found the "Professional" model. I suspect that it may be able to stand up longer with more memory use cycles, but not sure.

Where do you recommend getting it and how much did you have to pay? Should we plan to have several on hand, or at least 2 of them to swap out?

Oh, and everyone else: I offered $150 and was counteroffered $200. I declined and re-offered $170 which was accepted. Therefore I paid the $185 ($170 + $15 shipping) just a few minutes ago. Now the wait....

I have it from here:
Lexar 128GB High-Performance 633x MicroSDXC UHS-I | Allcam, Dé Dashcam Shop
Dont no about the "Professional" model.

I also considered full time recording but have not implemented. Overall I am happy with the camera, simple installation and factory looks.

tcoombes:

Thank you for the idea and information! Did you find continuous power by the mirror and install the switch in the same location? Also, can you provide a little bit more detail, especially the on-off interface based on location. Perhaps all I need is a link for the switch and I should be able to figure the rest out.

I tapped into the 12v continuous inside the microphone housing just back from the mirror. The housing is easily removed either by hand or a plastic pry tool. There is a connector with 12v taped in place and not connected to anything. It's easy to fish a couple of wires from this location to where the mirror is. There are other posts that have good reference pictures of this 12v continuous source.

The first switch I bought had a plastic case surrounding the circuit board and it was 1" thick, but too thick to fit in the space above the microphone housing so I bought 2 very small switches consisting of a circuit board and 4 wires connecting to it (+ and -, in and out). I put insulation above it and electrical tape around the switch. Black wire from the 12v continuous feed to negative in on the switch, black and pink wire to the positive in on the switch. Positive and negative out from the switch to the dash cam.

Here is a picture of the switch and remote.

p.jpg

The location thing I mentioned was just a function of homelink - same concept as opening the garage door automatically when you pull up to your house. I have mine set to turn the camera off when I pull up to the mailbox about a hundred feet from the house before I even pull up to the garage.

By the way, I ended up using the other thicker switch with the case for the back dash cam. I went with Mobius 2 and replaced its internal battery with a super capacitor to hold up better with heat and long operating times. It's mounted at the top of the back glass and you can't see it at all when looking in the rear view mirror. Found 12v continuous in the back passenger side rear quarter. Works great - had it set up temporarily using the switched socket in the center console, but like it better hardwired and with the remote on and off capability.

• Informative
Reactions: polymathic
Got conformation that my IRO Dash Cam was shipped yesterday, Saturday, 5/26/18. From your experiences, when should I really expect it? Ebay only shows Monday, June 4 to Saturday, June 23. We leave on our next Coast-to-Coast trip on Monday, June 25.

Also, yesterday I ordered two Lexar 128gb Micro SD cards.

Lexar 633x UHS-I

I sent a message to the IRO seller, taxusdvr, asking about larger SD cards. He replied: "We distribute the 16GB SanDisk TF card." He said that for larger cards I needed to format them with their proprietary software which he could send me, so I replied to please send. Oh, what does the TF mean?

Anyone use this software, or just format to FAT32 on your computer? A tutorial would be nice. Thanks much. I also got a 256GB flash drive from Costco to use for storing any dash cam video I wish to keep from our trip. This is my first time with a dash cam, or even playing around with video (other than watching DVD's on the laptop), so any helpful tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again.

Got conformation that my IRO Dash Cam was shipped yesterday, Saturday, 5/26/18. From your experiences, when should I really expect it? Ebay only shows Monday, June 4 to Saturday, June 23. We leave on our next Coast-to-Coast trip on Monday, June 25.

Lexar 633x UHS-I

I sent a message to the IRO seller, taxusdvr, asking about larger SD cards. He replied: "We distribute the 16GB SanDisk TF card." He said that for larger cards I needed to format them with their proprietary software which he could send me, so I replied to please send. Oh, what does the TF mean?

Anyone use this software, or just format to FAT32 on your computer? A tutorial would be nice. Thanks much. I also got a 256GB flash drive from Costco to use for storing any dash cam video I wish to keep from our trip. This is my first time with a dash cam, or even playing around with video (other than watching DVD's on the laptop), so any helpful tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again.
Yes. He told me the same thing. Formatting to Fat32 works fine, however, I have not tried the cam with 256g, only 128g.
Please post how it works.
Comes from China. I believe mine came DHL. Get tracking # from seller.

Lexar 633x UHS-I

Thanks again.
Sorry, misread that 256g was just for storage.