Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

IRO DashCam - Model S AP2 unboxing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
WOW, GREAT NEWS

Got an email this morning from DHL that it will be delivered tomorrow, Tuesday, 5/29/18.

Ordered Thursday, 5/24/18
Shipped Friday, 5/25/18
Scheduled Delivery Tuesday, 5/29/18

Maybe it could have been delivered today if it was not a Holiday.

Happy Memorial Day everyone! Thank you to all veterans, and families of those who paid the ultimate price.

This IRO Dash Cam provider ROCKS! DHL delivered the package about 10 minutes ago.

This morning I pulled off the Mirror cap, as well as the headliner cover in front of the mirror. Both came off with just my fingers. I found both switched (in the plug we are supposed to use) and the constant +12v at on that cover (it was an unused plug that was taped down). I was trying to fish a wire to the mirror opening but finally gave up. I will start with just the Switched power for now, and get constant prior to our trip in 4 weeks.

It was not 5 minutes for me, I spent the next hour working on it. I opened the box while sitting in the car just after posting the above. I read the Instruction manual first, then followed the steps to plug in the IRO Dash Cam. Then using my I-phone I tried to figure out how to use it. Eventually I re-connected the Dash Cam to the mirror.

In all fairness, It could have been installed in 5 minutes or less. So simple to remove the mirror cover, unplug the connector, connect Dash Cam male plug to mirror, connect Dash Cam female plug to car plug, then tuck all wires inside Dash Cam and slide Cam housing onto mirror. Very simple, very easy.

After an hour I finally gave up trying to view live footage from the Dash Cam and put away the box and material and cleaning the car. I had to leave to go pick up my Daughter.

Question: Is it possible to watch live video from the camera? It is set on 3-minute loop so I think that means a new file every 3 minutes. I can view these files on my phone, but have not been able to just view on the phone in Real-Time. I wanted to do this so I could play with the Polarized Lens.

Has anyone published a video on Youtube, or anywhere else, giving a tutorial on how to use the camera and phone app? I could not find one myself, but then my wife very often tells me that I am not looking hard enough when I can not find things. ;) Also the Instruction manual is great for installing the camera but nothing on how to use the app or view/save/store videos.

So far, the videos I have watch look very good. I have not tried the Polarized Lens, but today was heavy overcast and no sun to contend with. Bad for my Solar system, but then I did not need to wear sun glasses while driving and could look at videos whenever I stopped at a red light.

If someone in the San Diego, CA area is open to give me some coaching I would love to get together. Please PM me.

It was not 5 minutes for me, I spent the next hour working on it. I opened the box while sitting in the car just after posting the above. I read the Instruction manual first, then followed the steps to plug in the IRO Dash Cam. Then using my I-phone I tried to figure out how to use it. Eventually I re-connected the Dash Cam to the mirror.

In all fairness, It could have been installed in 5 minutes or less. So simple to remove the mirror cover, unplug the connector, connect Dash Cam male plug to mirror, connect Dash Cam female plug to car plug, then tuck all wires inside Dash Cam and slide Cam housing onto mirror. Very simple, very easy.

After an hour I finally gave up trying to view live footage from the Dash Cam and put away the box and material and cleaning the car. I had to leave to go pick up my Daughter.

Question: Is it possible to watch live video from the camera? It is set on 3-minute loop so I think that means a new file every 3 minutes. I can view these files on my phone, but have not been able to just view on the phone in Real-Time. I wanted to do this so I could play with the Polarized Lens.

Has anyone published a video on Youtube, or anywhere else, giving a tutorial on how to use the camera and phone app? I could not find one myself, but then my wife very often tells me that I am not looking hard enough when I can not find things. ;) Also the Instruction manual is great for installing the camera but nothing on how to use the app or view/save/store videos.

So far, the videos I have watch look very good. I have not tried the Polarized Lens, but today was heavy overcast and no sun to contend with. Bad for my Solar system, but then I did not need to wear sun glasses while driving and could look at videos whenever I stopped at a red light.

If someone in the San Diego, CA area is open to give me some coaching I would love to get together. Please PM me.
Once you connect your phone to the camera via WiFi (IRO_########.... in WiFi in your phone’s settings).
Live view will show up in app.
Rotate phone 90° for full screen landscape.
Screenshot...
DB9C8603-C1B0-4337-B87D-8BC564D84945.png

You can easily view & transfer files to your phone (transfer is pretty slow over Wi-Fi )
Manual provides instructions...
D7CC484D-FCD0-4427-BCA0-46DAA6F23097.jpeg

8217B049-5883-4454-AE05-B38D5867C5BF.jpeg

7C2677A8-B3B4-4061-8FA9-EABA8BCD4EB3.jpeg

I am not a phone/dash cam app expert, so do not know how to do what you have suggested. I did check my iphone settings for camera which has Grid off (do not know what this does), Scan QR Codes on, and HDR Keep Normal Photo on.

Were you speaking of the IRO app settings? If so, please let me know what each setting should be.

Thanks.

Reactions: Mars1
I am on the golf course now. I will post screenshots of my settings once I get off and i can connect to my desk in my car
Just came back from the car where I kept playing with the various settings. Still no Live View. The Dash Cam is recording, and I am able to view these video clips but nothing on Live View.

Any other suggestions, I am open.
Here are my app settings:
F4970131-AED7-4AC5-B96B-B7D44F82643F.jpeg

033E9990-CDC5-4FCD-8A67-2594E2748CDA.jpeg

Other than Language to English, my settings are the same.

Any other suggestions? Maybe settings in my phone?
FYI,
Language should have been English & video format should be ntsc. Somehow reverted to default.

What is the iOS version on your phone?

Suggestions:
Try deleting & reinstalling IRO app.
Try restarting phone.
Try a different device (iPad...) to test if it is isolated to your phone.

If all else fails...
Send a message to the seller in EBay.

My iOS app settings.
9C6B5C25-7B95-4AAE-8364-1CF6CD4D569D.jpeg

I am using IRO and am very pleased with it. I hooked it to continuous power, but put a small remote controlled latched switch between the dash cam and 12v continuous. The switch uses a wireless remote for on and off (latched = A button on and B button off) which I set up on homelink. Homelink shows Front Dash Cam On and Front Dash Cam Off. Makes it easy to select or operate automatically based on location. I got the switch on eBay from a Seller in China - there are a lot of choices at reasonable prices. I bought 2 so I have a backup - was about $25 including shipping. A simple and similar approach is to manually use the on/off button on the dash cam. I did that before getting the switch and works fine if you remember to turn it on and off. I am using a 128gb card and works great - had to format it FAT externally from the dash cam since the dash cam will only format max of 32gb, but it works fine. I just keep it on a continuous loop - on when I leave for work, stays on in the parking garage, and then off when I get home.

I have a change to my homelink controlled operation of my IRO. The original approach was to have a homelink setup for “dash cam on” and a separate setup for “dash cam off.” I used a mini remote switch in latched mode to do this with button A to turn the dash cam on and button B to turn it off. This worked fine, but I could not do the same thing with the rear dash cam without replacing the homelink setup for the front dash cam because homelink is limited to 3 wireless remotes (I could have one or the other, but not both on homelink). The solution was to change from latched mode on the switch circuit board to toggle mode which uses button A to both turn on and turn off the switch. It took me a while to figure it out, but had to remove a soldered jumper to change the mode. I now have only one homelink entry for “front dash cam” and that allowed for one “rear dash cam” entry, as well. I have the front set up to automatically activate near my mailbox so when I leave the house it turns on and when I come home it turns off without me having to press any buttons. This is a much better setup than what I had before - I wanted to post this update in case someone else ran into the same limitation.

tcoombes,
Sounds like a very nice and elegant solution to me! You must be the first to implement this approach here on the forum. How much was the switch and can you provide a link?

I think others on the forum have done something similar, but maybe a first with the IRO dash cam. Thank you! Here is the link to the switch I bought on ebay:

DC3V 3.7V 5V 6V 7V 9V 12V Mini Relay Wireless Switch Remote Control Power LED La | eBay

It was $11.20 for one, but I bought a couple. Not bad for under $25. There are similar items for a little less, but the seller had 100% positive feedback so I paid a little more. Since the switch does not come with a case or cover, I made sure to insulate it from touching anything metal when I installed it.

The switch defaults to latch mode so I had to change it to toggle mode. One of the pictures on the ebay listing shows the back of the switch where there is an “L” with a jumper next to it and an “M” with no jumper. I took a magnifying glass and small soldering iron and heated the two ends of the jumper next to the “L” and removed the jumper. That put the switch into toggle mode (no jumpers) where the remote A button turns it both on and off.

tcoombes,

Thank you for the link.
What are you using for the rear camera?

I am using Mobius 2 with their super capacitor instead of internal battery. It fits nicely at the top of the back glass out of sight when looking through the rear view mirror. Nice dash cam in this mode for continuous use. I used their extended wiring since it accounts for it not being native 12v.

Finally got around to installing my unit and so far so good. Took just a few minutes to install and didn't even need to trim tool to remove the mirror cover ... mine came off easily. Put in the 16GB card they provided and need to format the Samsung 128GB card on a PC and swap out. I managed to capture a possum getting hit by the car in front of me and swerved around it. The app is definitely clunky and slow to download the clips (I have them set to 3 min).