Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

IRO DashCam - Model S AP2 unboxing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've read under the video comment that Tesla told a user that this could void the car's warranty. That'd be insane.

There's no such thing as "void the warranty".

See: Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act - Wikipedia

Tesla would have to prove that the device created a fault with some other warranty covered part. And if they can do that, only the warranty for that particular part would not be covered. Everything else is still fully covered under the factory warranty.

They can't say "hey, you have a dashcam wired into the car. Bad news, the broken drive unit you have is no longer covered since you voided the warranty with the dashcam"

Off topic, but also stickers that say "warranty void if sticker is broken" are just for show. They don't carry any weight in the law.

Has anyone tried to modify this to use the always-on power within the microphone grill?

Yes, both directly for continuous or manual on/off switching using buttons on the IRO, or with a remote control switch between the always-on power source and the IRO. Mine is set-up using the latter approach combined with Homelink. I turn it on by pressing the Homelink item, “Front Dash Cam” in the morning inside my garage. It is set for Homelink auto-off when 10ft of garage space when coming home. I had to try a few different things before I found an approach that works consistently using Homelink. You might check some prior replies for this thread for more details.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
A few days ago I sent an email (through Ebay) to taxusdvr asking about the Model 3 Dashcam. They are waiting on a Model 3 to be delivered to China so they can make sure they build it properly.

Today I sent an email suggesting two things:
1. A second camera lens on the bottom pointing back. I suggested a wide angle so it will show both sides and back.
2. Since there is an unused connector with "always on" power, why not produce the wire with a connector that will plug into this for those that want 24/7 video protection.

I will let you know what they say.

I love the IRO but really would like to have 360 protection on 24/7. I almost got the other major brand but did not want it to show like those do. I like the stealth look of the IRO, as well as the simple and easy DYI aspect.

Don't have high hopes functionality would be anything like you get out of a standalone unit. It seems things are shaping as a "capture small retroactive segment on command" sort of functionality.
Too bad. It would really be great if it utilized cloud storage and or had the ability to allow us to plug a flash drive into the USB port to store & transfer video files.

Last edited:
Don't have high hopes functionality would be anything like you get out of a standalone unit. It seems things are shaping as a "capture small retroactive segment on command" sort of functionality.

Totally agreed. The speculation on this is setting new highs everyday! When Elon says it's going to be "beta" in V9 (and even that's yet to be seen).. we all know what that means. I just shake my head when people start talking about things like merging multiple camera images to increase resolution. Sure, in theory it's possible, but how many people do you think Tesla has working on this admittedly very low priority feature just to say they've done it?

I've said this so many times before -- instead of writing the software for this (and other low-priority features), write one robust SDK/API with endpoints to the data, and let everyone else write the apps.

Oh yeah, we're still waiting on that SDK, Elon.

Totally agreed. The speculation on this is setting new highs everyday! When Elon says it's going to be "beta" in V9 (and even that's yet to be seen).. we all know what that means. I just shake my head when people start talking about things like merging multiple camera images to increase resolution. Sure, in theory it's possible, but how many people do you think Tesla has working on this admittedly very low priority feature just to say they've done it?

I've said this so many times before -- instead of writing the software for this (and other low-priority features), write one robust SDK/API with endpoints to the data, and let everyone else write the apps.

Oh yeah, we're still waiting on that SDK, Elon.
Although you never know...
I wonder how high the priority was for the “Xmas” Easter Egg and Atari games had.

Tesla Model X dashcam unboxing

IMG_0388.jpg

well according to Sir'Elon
Elon Musk on Twitter :Do_O:confused:

• Funny
Reactions: HankLloydRight
Anyone else having issue with the Iro dash cam showing a black screen for live video? Playbacks are fine but connecting to the camera and trying to watch live video, all I get is a black screen on the iPhone. I’m on iOS 12.0 using iPhone XS Max.