Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

IRO DashCam - Model S AP2 unboxing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Problem: Not starting to record automatically after powered down for several hours.

Just installed the IRO Dashcam Model S AP1 and seems to work well except for one thing . . . it doesn't seem to power up and start recording on its own after the car has been off for awhile. When I come back to the car after 30 min or an hour, the IRO starts recording automatically as expected. But in the morning, after 12+ hours of not using the car, the IRO does not turn on and start recording. Has anyone seen this? Easy fix? I've tried resetting several times, but no change. Wonder if it has a bad on-board battery or power capacitor?

Ideas?
I now have the opposite issue. It stays on now when Sentry Mode is active which tends to fill the drive...
If you turn it on manually with the switch, does it come on immediately?
Also, have you tried reseating the power plugs just to make sure you have full contact?
Otherwise, use eBay to contact the Seller/Manufacturer.

I just purchased the AP1 IRO dashcam for my late 2014 Model S. I am having problems with getting the camera to automatically power on. Every morning, without fail, I need to manually power the camera on. After the first manual power on in the morning, it sees to power itself on just fine for most of the day. My hunch is that it is caused by the car going to sleep (i.e. overnight, or long time of inactivity). The camera manually powers on just fine, so I know it is getting power. I is really frustrating because a dash cam, to me, is supposed to be set it and forget it.

Has anyone else experienced this? I have been going back and forth with the seller for 3 weeks and have gotten nowhere.

Problem: Not starting to record automatically after powered down for several hours.

Just installed the IRO Dashcam Model S AP1 and seems to work well except for one thing . . . it doesn't seem to power up and start recording on its own after the car has been off for awhile. When I come back to the car after 30 min or an hour, the IRO starts recording automatically as expected. But in the morning, after 12+ hours of not using the car, the IRO does not turn on and start recording. Has anyone seen this? Easy fix? I've tried resetting several times, but no change. Wonder if it has a bad on-board battery or power capacitor?

Ideas?
No solution for you but I have the exact same problem. Posted above before I saw that you had posted this. Only got through 6 of 13 pages of comments :p

No solution for you but I have the exact same problem. Posted above before I saw that you had posted this. Only got through 6 of 13 pages of comments :p

Strange that two of us would bring up the same issue in the same few days - haven't seen this problem reported in any of the other posts. I have contacted the seller, but no reply yet. Perhaps you could do the same and then let's compare notes. Thx!

Strange that two of us would bring up the same issue in the same few days - haven't seen this problem reported in any of the other posts. I have contacted the seller, but no reply yet. Perhaps you could do the same and then let's compare notes. Thx!
I've been messaging them back and forth for a couple weeks. They haven't been helpful, first just saying to try a reset and make sure wiring is correct, then trying to pass it off as a feature that you have to turn it on each morning. I most recently asked to try an exchange and now they said they have their team looking into it.

I'm confused about where it the dash cam gets its power from - I've seen someone saying it gets the power from the interior mirror. Why does the interior mirror have power to begin with?
It's an autodimming/electrochromatic mirror, which has sensors to detect the light being shone on it and applies a voltage to adjust how much light it reflects.

All, one more question: When I use a 64GB card formatted as fat32, the camera beeps 10 times before turning on, which is really annoying. Anyone else have this behavior? When using a <32GB card, the camera only beeps once when turning on.

Since the last time they messaged me saying their technicians are testing, I messaged yesterday asking for an update and they don't replied "Hello, we are dealing with the problem."
Not the most helpful response, but I am hoping they either fix with a software update or replace the unit.

Since the last time they messaged me saying their technicians are testing, I messaged yesterday asking for an update and they don't replied "Hello, we are dealing with the problem."
Not the most helpful response, but I am hoping they either fix with a software update or replace the unit.

Thank you for the update. On my end, they sent me a picture showing the electrical connections (which I already hooked up correctly) and said to hit the reset button (didn't fix it).

Thank you for the update. On my end, they sent me a picture showing the electrical connections (which I already hooked up correctly) and said to hit the reset button (didn't fix it).
Any update on your end? The seller hasn't been helpful at all. They've asked me to check the current, and in doing so I went down a 3 hour long rabbit hole because I inadvertently blew the fuse and the fuse box is in the absolute worst location....

Any update on your end? The seller hasn't been helpful at all. They've asked me to check the current, and in doing so I went down a 3 hour long rabbit hole because I inadvertently blew the fuse and the fuse box is in the absolute worst location....

He just asked me to do the same thing. That test doesn't make sense to me at all - the camera works just fine as long as you turn it on once after >6 hour off period. That sounds more like a circuit board component that isn't retaining charge properly (only guessing).

He just asked me to do the same thing. That test doesn't make sense to me at all - the camera works just fine as long as you turn it on once after >6 hour off period. That sounds more like a circuit board component that isn't retaining charge properly (only guessing).

Maybe there is a specific "wake up" current threshold? Something like that could be fixed with software, but I'm not sure. All I know is what a waste of time it was trying to get that reading... Unsuccessfuly..

Works fine on my AP2
OP here...
Sorry to here some are having issues with AP1 Version.
My AP2 Version has performed well. Originally installed in a 2017 MS 90D.
Now in my MS 100D. Going Strong. I frequently swap out storage and archive videos to a hard drive after deleting extraneous material. (Parked in my garage...)
Much more of that now with Sentry Mode when parked away from home. Always stays on in Sentry Mode. On the bright side, I always have audio during Sentry Events.

• Helpful
Reactions: Cheburashka