Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Iron particles - do this when you get your car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took delivery of my M3LR two days ago. Today I put on Adam’s graphene ceramic coating.

Part of the process was the iron particle decontamination. My car is from Giga Shanghai and was delivered in Japan. Even after 2 washes, probably 3 as Tesla did one, I had so much iron everywhere it was shocking tbh.

Do this when you get your car from Giga Shanghai!
D89EEFAF-20C2-461B-A7D9-9B6A284F814A.png
1D7699FF-3D1F-4590-BF45-09EE103089FC.jpeg

I took delivery of my M3LR two days ago. Today I put on Adam’s graphene ceramic coating.

Part of the process was the iron particle decontamination. My car is from Giga Shanghai and was delivered in Japan. Even after 2 washes, probably 3 as Tesla did one, I had so much iron everywhere it was shocking tbh.

Do this when you get your car from Giga Shanghai!View attachment 779806View attachment 779807
Wow, this seems bizarre! Did you complain to Tesla?

Reactions: sagamidaiM3
Iron particles could come from anywhere, both during manufacture, shipping or storage, plus iron filings are thrown off during braking, which fall to the pavement and are thrown up by the next passing car onto your paintwork.
if you spray iron remover on the paintwork of an average car that lives in an urban area you will get a similar picture, you just don’t normally see it as the iron remover dissolves the iron particles and turn them purple as it does so.
These iron cleaners are more designed for cleaning wheels so I would use them sparingly on paintwork if you want to maintain any wax or ceramic coating you may have applied to your paintwork, but they are a good idea as part of the decontamination process prior to applying a protective coating.
I use the Gyeon Iron remover, but not sure if it’s available in Japan.

Reactions: sagamidaiM3
Iron particles could come from anywhere, both during manufacture, shipping or storage, plus iron filings are thrown off during braking, which fall to the pavement and are thrown up by the next passing car onto your paintwork.
if you spray iron remover on the paintwork of an average car that lives in an urban area you will get a similar picture, you just don’t normally see it as the iron remover dissolves the iron particles and turn them purple as it does so.
These iron cleaners are more designed for cleaning wheels so I would use them sparingly on paintwork if you want to maintain any wax or ceramic coating you may have applied to your paintwork, but they are a good idea as part of the decontamination process prior to applying a protective coating.
I use the Gyeon Iron remover, but not sure if it’s available in Japan.
Thanks for your comments. Gyeon is an import here but pricey. This brand is quite famous in Japan and is for all surfaces, not just wheels. Doubt I will do this again unless putting on a new coating. Just wanted to raise awareness how it is needed before protecting your new investment/child,