Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ironically I could use a CCS Adapter for my Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Superchargers are almost everywhere but I frequent an area that only has Electrify America chargers. I understand I can buy the CHAdeMO but that only gives me a charge rate of 50kW. If we had a CCS adapter I could get the full 350kW which is more than a Tesla V3 Supercharger! Anyone have any information if this is coming?

Many Tesla owners could put a CCS adapter to good use. There's no public information about if or when it could be coming to North America. Many threads already exist on the topic. Here's a good one: CCS Adapter for North America

If they release an adapter for the CCS Type 1 plugs in NA, it's likely to be similar to the CCS Type 2 adapter available in Europe for Model S/X. This adapter is capable of about 400A, likely constrained by the fact that it's not liquid cooled. It has been shown to provide 130 kW charging power. Optimistically, it might be capable of a little more (150 kW?) but it will be thermally limited, again due to lack of active cooling.

The "350kW" EA stations are limited to 500A and can only charge a 400V battery at less than 200 kW. If Tesla somehow designed an CCS1 adapter that allowed a 500A charge current, to max out the capability of the EA stations, the charging would be similar to EU Model 3's that have CCS2 built-in and charge as shown below.

20190626-3lr-ccs-chrg-png.423726

Reference: V3 Supercharging Profiles for Model 3

And recognize that the cables that provide that 500A from the EA stations are liquid cooled.

So to reiterate, a notional, uncooled CCS1 adapter is likely going to be capable of less than 150 kW and may be particularly sensitive to overheating at those power levels. It will certainly be useful, but slower than an unshared V2 Supercharger stall.

20190706-3lr-chrg-png.427140

Many Tesla owners could put a CCS adapter to good use. There's no public information about if or when it could be coming to North America. Many threads already exist on the topic. Here's a good one: CCS Adapter for North America

If they release an adapter for the CCS Type 1 plugs in NA, it's likely to be similar to the CCS Type 2 adapter available in Europe for Model S/X. This adapter is capable of about 400A, likely constrained by the fact that it's not liquid cooled. It has been shown to provide 130 kW charging power. Optimistically, it might be capable of a little more (150 kW?) but it will be thermally limited, again due to lack of active cooling.

The "350kW" EA stations are limited to 500A and can only charge a 400V battery at less than 200 kW. If Tesla somehow designed an CCS1 adapter that allowed a 500A charge current, to max out the capability of the EA stations, the charging would be similar to EU Model 3's that have CCS2 built-in and charge as shown below.

20190626-3lr-ccs-chrg-png.423726

Reference: V3 Supercharging Profiles for Model 3

And recognize that the cables that provide that 500A from the EA stations are liquid cooled.

So to reiterate, a notional, uncooled CCS1 adapter is likely going to be capable of less than 150 kW and may be particularly sensitive to overheating at those power levels. It will certainly be useful, but slower than an unshared V2 Supercharger stall.

20190706-3lr-chrg-png.427140

It's certainly possible. The adaptor available in Europe/Australia/NZ looks like this. Obviously both sides need to be different for the US (replace the Tesla-EU plug with a Tesla-US plug, and replace the CCS2 socket with a CCS1 socket). Is there anything internally different with a USA vs European Tesla wiring?

Noting of course that the Model 3/Y in Europe/Australia/NZ is/will be native CCS2, so the adaptor is only required by Model S/X in these regions - whereas the US version would be of use to both S/X and 3/Y owners.

tesla-ccs-adapter-02.png

Reactions: LasVegas2019
How many miles per hour charge would I get with CHAdeMO ?

We stopped at a Chadamo recently. When we left to get our Starbucks it was reading 37 amps. Don't remember the start charge. When we got back it looked like this.

49852206303_82f4ef3edf_c.jpg

The Chademo adapter is big and clunky but its a life saver for us. Chademo/CCS locations outnumber Supercharger locations 10 to 1 in BC and the Chademo CCS build out is like 5 times faster....or more. Many of the Chademo/CCS stations in the province are 50 KW but I see many new ones are 100 KW so the right priced CCS adapter might interest us some day...or a faster Chademo adapter. As long as you are on or around the Trans Canada highway the Superchargers are sufficient. Getting off on the secondary highways kinda require a Chademo adapter.

49853043187_835a0c0a44_c.jpg

Has there been any news about CCS in US? I couldn’t find any except this thread. I have to drive to Beaumont, TX and back from Houston and there is no super charger yet, but there is a CCS, and I’m not buying the chademo adapter since it’s dead tech.

Check the evGO network. evGO offers both CCS and CHAdeMO charging and evGO has started to install Tesla-CHAdeMO adapters at some of their locations starting with San Fancisco. These look like the Tesla CHAdeMO adapter but it is tethered with a security cable (hah!) There was a report of a CHAdeMO adapter already being stolen from an evGO charging location in the Bay area. evGO charging stations started at 25kW, then evGO started to upgrade their charging stations to 50kW. Check their website for the latest evGo locations, charging rates and charging fees.

• Informative
Reactions: jsight
Apparently stolen at my local EVGO as well... Tech Center Sorrento Mesa
View attachment 606525
It seems that evGO has two different types of charging stations that offer Tesla charging. These appear to be limited to SF and LA at this time. The SF charging stations have the Tesla-CHAdeMO adapter securely mounted to the cabinet. The LA charging locations look like the Tesla charging option was cobbled together in a hurry. The result, while functional, is an open invitation to CHAdeMO adapter rustlers (thieves.)

Here is a link to the evGO SF charging station locations, shows photo of the integrated Tesla adapter:
Tesla - San Francisco

if you have your own Tesla CHAdeMO adapter you can theoretically use it with any CHAdeMO charging station up to 125kW. (Until recently most evGo charging stations were 50kW.)

Reactions: frankvb
That SF charging station looks indeed way more secure than what was here in San Diego at this one charging station.

Just checked the EVGO map and the one near me was the only in a 100 mile radius or so. And it was rather pointless due to the supercharger being half a mile away... I only used it as I had free EVGO charging for a while.