Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Irregular digital ticking noise near steering column

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone here had an irregular clicking noise (similar to a click wheel of an older iPod) noticed near the steering wheel? It seems to come out of the steering wheel column on the left side, right behind the wheel.

Here is a video of the noise:

It is faint but noticeable and drives me crazy! It only happens sometimes, but only when the car is in motion.
It does not go away when A/C or music is turned off nor does it go away after a reset of the car. I've tried to find any loose interior parts that might rattle but without luck (and as I said it sounds almost too digital for a loose cover etc). Charging the steering wheel position did not help.

I've had the car at a Tesla service and they said they could not find anything abnormal so it would be good if anyone has an idea what this could be! Noise does not change when self driving is engaged or not. Uneven road seems to amplify it but not always. Some days it is completely gone.

Please let me know if you have successfully dealt with this noise or have an idea what I could try to pin point Tesla to the right source!

Thank you,
Stefan

I heard a couple of noises. I heard a faint ticking and a louder clunk sound near the end of the video after the turn signal was enabled. We are having more of that latter sound where it makes a noticeable clunk sound but only when we turn the steering wheel, and that happens randomly so it would be difficult for Tesla to diagnose unless it can be replicated on demand.

YES, that's what we hear, it's random, sometimes it makes that "clunk" sound but most times not. I hope someone out there had better luck and was able to get Tesla to fix that problem. This started about couple months ago. We acquired our Model 3 back in August of 2018.

I'm experiencing a similar noise on my 2020. When turning the steering wheel for parking lot maneuvers and other slow speed situations, I'm getting a popping/clunking noise - not the axle clicking issue.

It's not very loud and I believe it's coming from the steering rack and/or suspension arms as it only occurs when load is shifting. Service won't do anything about it (now) and with COVID restrictions they will not allow road tests with techs. Only time will tell if gets worse and once something fails I'll be sure to report.

tes-serv.png

• Informative
Reactions: XLR82XS
I'm experiencing a similar noise on my 2020. When turning the steering wheel for parking lot maneuvers and other slow speed situations, I'm getting a popping/clunking noise - not the axle clicking issue.

It's not very loud and I believe it's coming from the steering rack and/or suspension arms as it only occurs when load is shifting. Service won't do anything about it (now) and with COVID restrictions they will not allow road tests with techs. Only time will tell if gets worse and once something fails I'll be sure to report.

My 2018 M3 started making the same noise right after the software update that added Polish language (I'm Polish, but don't speak it!).
The noise is most noticeable in a parking garage at slow speeds with minimal steering wheel motion. It sounds like a battery electric ticking noise to me. Any updates? I'll keep you updated too. It is not the same noise that the poster above dfescribes in their work requistion - my noise does not get louder with increased speed nor at the greater turning of the steering wheel. It is loudest at low speeds with minimal steering wheel turning.

My 2018 M3 started making the same noise right after the software update that added Polish language (I'm Polish, but don't speak it!).
The noise is most noticeable in a parking garage at slow speeds with minimal steering wheel motion. It sounds like a battery electric ticking noise to me. Any updates? I'll keep you updated too. It is not the same noise that the poster above dfescribes in their work requistion - my noise does not get louder with increased speed nor at the greater turning of the steering wheel. It is loudest at low speeds with minimal steering wheel turning.
Mine is definitely not electrical in nature. Popping noise only when turning the steering wheel for parking and driveway maneuvers.

Hey there! Although I was extremely certain it was a digital noise it turned out to be the mechanical door opening latch on the driver door that is a bit loose and starts to tick/vibrate sometimes which can be fixed by just pushing it a bit forward. Not a fix or ideal but at least I know now how to fix it.

I have some strange click from the steering column area with mine too; soon taking it to service to investigate. Seems to come from somewhere in the footwell area (or slightly to the left and below the steering column). Haven't narrowed down the exact condition since it happens at most speeds including at a standstill turning the steering wheel full lock in one direction and then the other, but it most frequently correlates with changing direction. Sometimes when hitting certain bumps even with a small steering angle.

Doesn't seem to be external plastic anywhere. I tapped on every single thing that is exposed below the steering wheel and nothing seems to make a similar sound. I keep trying to capture the noise on camera but I have so many other noises from the rough pavement near me that it's hard to point to the exact sound I'm referring to heh

EDIT: kind of sounds like XLR82XS's symptoms. It started out with me noticing it while pulling into my garage, but now seems to happen all the time

• Helpful
Reactions: XLR82XS
Mine recently started making a clicking noise as well, 2020 LRAWD Model 3 (in the last week). Mine currently only makes the noise when making a right turn and only while in the turn, it’s like an electrical sounding click, click, click and once thru the turn no noise. When making a left turn no noise at all. Seems to be coming from somewhere down in the steering column. thewishmaster did anything come of your service call?

2021 Performance , start hearing clicking sound in low speed going over uneven surfaces. It sound like metal clicking ,
its hard to capture the sound but once heard it , you can't stop trying to find out where it came from ! Anybody find out the issue was ?

Not yet! I'm thinking of scheduling another service visit. Annoying since I have had 4 service trips for this type of noise and it has yet to be solved. Both front upper control arms replaced a couple weeks ago and the clicking-while-turning-wheel is still apparent - ruling the arms out.

Reactions: T518W
Not yet! I'm thinking of scheduling another service visit. Annoying since I have had 4 service trips for this type of noise and it has yet to be solved. Both front upper control arms replaced a couple weeks ago and the clicking-while-turning-wheel is still apparent - ruling the arms out.

Sounds like we got same issue ? I posed a video showing the clicking noise :
Metal Clicking Sound From Interior

Service Appointment schedule for next Wednesday, hope SC can find out what it is . . .