Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Irresponsible reporting "Tesla Recalling Model S..."

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
NHTSA erred by using the phrasing "Tesla Motors is recalling certain model year 2013 Model S vehicles equipped for, and delivered with, certain NEMA 14-50 UMC adapters". The clueless press just ran with this narrative.

Having said that, my fuse finally blew after Elon's tweets arguing about whether this is a recall. Sure, they are not recalling the cars, but they ARE recalling the adapters (they use this term in their letter to NHTSA). And then to have the odasity to say that the broken software update "fully addresses the issue" (Jan 10 press release), and that a redesigned adapter "is not required". :cursing:

What utter, utter rubbish. It would do Elon's credibility much more good to admit that they made a mistake by not designing thermal monitoring / fusing into the 14-50 adapter in the first place, rather than arguing over whether this is a recall or not. The software update DOES NOT fully fix the problem, and introduces other problems. [/venting]

I can't quote it exactly, but in the live stream from Detroit Jerome said something to the effect of NHTSA calls it a recall, we call it an update with modern technology. He went on to describe how updates are delivered over the air so cars can be made safer or improved without having to take the car anywhere.

The original article looks to be fairly accurate down to specific adapter being recalled. I'd say it was more balanced than most. Tesla screwed this one up all on their own - you can find old postings with pictures of charred and melted 14-50 adapters from MONTHS ago. And, Tesla even replaced them so they had all the info they needed a long time ago.

Tesla screwed this one up all on their own - you can find old postings with pictures of charred and melted 14-50 adapters from MONTHS ago.

Agreed. In the letter to NHTSA they state that there has been a 2.7% failure rate at the interface between the UMC and 14-50 adapter, but far fewer failures at the interface between the adaptor and the wall outlet.

Now, where I come from a 2.7% failure rate is not acceptable.

since this thread will come up in google searches without context, it bears repeating that this is not a recall of the vehicle. It is coming in the form of a software update and a new adapter in the mail. It's great that Tesla got ahead of this issue and is taking proactive steps to reduce the risk of poor wiring or anything else that could lead to overheating of the plug. The new adapter will give owners and prospective owners confidence that, no matter where they plug in, there are ample safeguards against risk of overheating.

afternote: looks like the thread this was apart of got merged, thankfully, so it's clearer now!

Last edited:
Agreed that 2.7% failure rate is unacceptable. I remember about a year ago when Tesla called me to have me check my 14-50 adapter to see if was the earliest design; since it wasn't, and since it didn't get warm to the touch or show any signs of overheating internally, they didn't replace it right then. Seems to me the Service Center did replace it at some point, on general principles, at a later date...but I don't recall (oops: terrible choice of words) when that was, exactly.

On a related topic, has anyone read anything about this in the NY Times yet? I heard from an old college friend who runs a consulting firm that teaches businesses how to do a better job of crisis management (her basic advice amounts to, "Don't cover anything up and get out front of the issue"); she said that the Times interviewed her today for an article about "Tesla's recall" (her words).

On a related topic, has anyone read anything about this in the NY Times yet? I heard from an old college friend who runs a consulting firm that teaches businesses how to do a better job of crisis management (her basic advice amounts to, "Don't cover anything up and get out front of the issue"); she said that the Times interviewed her today for an article about "Tesla's recall" (her words).
Maybe this one?
Citing Charging Concerns, Tesla Issues a Recall

Kudos to NYT for including a production vehicle rather than the ancient prototype. That said, weird that the passenger rear window is down.

Last edited:
NYTimesArticle said:
Tesla is issuing a recall action concerning about 29,000 charging adapters for its 2013 Model S electric cars
Does anyone know the number of HPCs have been sold? The 29,000 number seems high too.
While the NYTimes is incorrect, they're not incorrect in the way you're suggesting.

The NYTimes is suggesting that all vehicles come with a 14-50 adapter. This is incorrect. Some came with a 6-50. But they're not off by all the much, as the 14-50 is far more common (and popular) than the 6-50 AFAIK adapters for the Model S go.

Where you went wrong is that neither the NYTimes, nor the "remedy" (/chuckle), involve the (Model S) HPWC [nor the (Roadster) HPC for that matter].

On a related note, has anyone seen Tesla directly (or indirectly via the press) commented on the 6-50 adapter yet?