TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Irritated by inconsiderate charging etiquette

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by BeardedBro, Jul 25, 2018.

1. BeardedBro

BeardedBro Member

Hi Tesla fam.

While weighing a couple of Atlanta area hotel destination charger options, I came across the following check-in comment on the PlugShare site regarding one of the hotels:

"I confess I stayed at a different hotel and asked the valet if I could charge if I went in to the bar. He was very nice and said absolutely. I went in to the bar, called Uber and went back to my hotel. There's only this one charger so good luck. Can't back the next morning. It took 6 1/2 hours to charge. Giving the positive review in exchange!"

Don't know if I'm just super tired and thereby cranky, perhaps overreacting, but MAN does this person's action piss me off. I can't help but think how unfair this would be if my family were to arrive after a long drive, only to not be able to charge because of people like this. I really hope this isn't a common practice.

What do you guys think?

Screen Shot 2018-07-25 at 5.05.25 PMJPG.jpg

• Like x 1
  2. mongo

mongo Well-Known Member

Dislike

• Like x 2
  3. ReddyLeaf

ReddyLeaf Member

Agreed! That person is a smuck. At least he should have left a phone number. On the positive side, if he needed 6.5 hr to charge, at least he really needed it.

4. MacGreiner

Show the dudes name. That kind of charging behavior is not cool and give us all a bad name.

• Disagree x 1
  5. mongo

mongo Well-Known Member

Which would be a great reason to stay at the hotel that provides charging...
    Depending on if they bought anything at the bar, they cost the hotel money...

• Like x 1
  6. S4WRXTTCS

S4WRXTTCS Active Member

The bar aspect of this behavior is likely not common.

But, I think it's fairly likely that someone will charge at a hotel they're not staying out. Where they simply pay the valet fee to park. There is a hotel in east Portland that does that, but they have somewhere around 4-6 charging stations.

In any case going forwards I think you'll find that charging is going to be something you have to reserve at your destination hotel. There is simply going to be too many EV's on the road.

Hotels will likely struggle to keep up.

7. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

It just shows that someone can be both a Tesla owner and a jerk. Stay at the hotel you want to charge at, or make other charging arrangements. It’s called “destination” charging for a reason.

Charging while patronizing the bar or restaurant is fine. Calling an Uber to take him elsewhere is not.

• Like x 3
  8. SMSMD

SMSMD Active Member

#8 SMSMD, Jul 25, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2018
    Not fair..I just came back from a 5600 mile USA trip, used three destination chargers , always left my cell number on the dash. Had anxiety if the destination charger would be ICED or occupied by a Tesla without any contact information. Had plan B just in case. 20180725_161816.jpg

• Like x 1
  9. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Supporting Member

Well, the car was in the valet lot. If a paying hotel guest arrived, I assume the valet could move the "bar" dude's car and plug in the hotel guest's.

I thought that was why a lot of hotels put them in valet lots - so the valets could manage the limited charging resource. I know Burbank airport does it that way - you park in the valet and they will charge you up then move your car when done. I think it is a small extra fee, but a great way to manage long term parking for EVs. (Short of just installing banks of 120v plugs)

• Like x 1
  10. mongo

mongo Well-Known Member

That is ambiguous, the post says they asked the valet (who would oversee the parking area), not that the valet parked it there. Given the use if "if I could charge" and that they returned the next morning, it seems like it wasn't valet parked.

11. ShockOnT

ShockOnT ⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

If he really needed to charge I suppose it’s ok so long as he leaves his phone number and is prepared to move the car.
    Should have just stayed at that hotel though.

12. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

I count about 20 hotels with destination charging in the Atlanta area, and two superchargers. I can’t picture a situation where he “really needed to charge” at a hotel he wasn’t staying at.

13. ShockOnT

ShockOnT ⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

Yeah that changes things a bit :)
    I'm used to Australia where the chargers are few and far between.

14. Evoforce

Evoforce Member

Maybe there weren't any rooms at the Hotel. I would bet that if he went to the bar there, he would have wanted to stay there. He could have been contacted through Plugshare. We don't know if he left a contact number on his car or with the hotel staff. On the surface, not having any other answers, it appears to be a "no no".

15. BeardedBro

BeardedBro Member

Great idea leaving your cell number on the dash. We do the same thing- leave our Google number (associated with a non-critical email account). We weren’t comfortable leaving our personal cell number on the dash. Either way, I think this is a fantastic and thoughtful idea. We also let the concierge know to contact us if another Tesla owner needs to charge up. As long as it’s not way past midnight, and I have satisfactory charge, I personally would not mind moving my car for a fellow owner.

16. ai4px

ai4px Member

Read the attachment.... it says "they will tow if you don't stay there"... how? The plug is locked into the charge port, right? I haven't tried this, but if you cycle the power on the HPWC, does the car turn loose of the plug?

As far as the rest of this goes... bad enough being ICE'd but blocked by another EV? wow. I took my little Bolt to the Chevy dealer yesterday and while I was there intended to use their public L2 charger... ICEed by three cars.

17. Plan B

Plan B Active Member

Happy to be your back up :cool::p:D

• Funny x 1
  18. scaesare

scaesare Well-Known Member

Yes, inconsiderate.
    Even when patronizing a hotel that's opted to install destination chargers, you often need to coordinate with other guests, meaning you are not guaranteed access as it is. Adding additional congestion by someone not even staying there is rude behavior, IMO.

19. SMSMD

SMSMD Active Member

I always leave this on my dash 20170620_015305.jpg

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  20. ai4px

ai4px Member

The QR code on that placard makes me think of using a QR code to send a SMS message. You could generate a QR code on a piece of paper that would make it super easy for someone to text you if they needed your charge spot. QR Code Generator - Create QR codes here