Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

IRS definitions of what's a car vs SUV by manufacturer for $55k vs $80k price limit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
but did not Tesla say price decreases were due to "noramalization of supply chain" and has nothing to do with IRS tax credits?? :)
Of course they did, 100% that was to capture tax credit. Tesla will jack up prices. They are no longer tied to $55k. Bad news fir future buyers.

With that said, they will jack up as long as we the people willing to pay.

Of course they did, 100% that was to capture tax credit. Tesla will jack up prices. They are no longer tied to $55k. Bad news fir future buyers.

With that said, they will jack up as long as we the people willing to pay.
For sure the US tax credit had a lot to do with it. But they also dropped prices in all other markets.

Here in Canada we had the same ~20% drop and that did not qualify the MY for our Federal EV rebate ($5000). It did qualify MYLR for a very income restricted (under $80K/yr) $4000 rebate in BC. So I think there is some truth to Tesla's reason but of course the price in the US was tied directly to the credit limits.

Reactions: WyoDude
but did not Tesla say price decreases were due to "noramalization of supply chain" and has nothing to do with IRS tax credits?? :)
"Unfortunately, a new wave of COVID led to increased risks of supply chain interruptions, and the commodity prices are expected to be on the rise. In order to provide the best service for our customers and to keep the pace of innovations, we had to negatively decrease the prices of our vehicles accordingly. ... oh, and by the way this has nothing to do with the recent IRS decision to change vehicle classification"

• Funny
Reactions: GSP
Of course they did. Tesla will jack up prices. They are no longer tied to $55k.

Seems likely to me too, until production catches up with demand. However, I imagine that Tesla will already see an average ASP jump even without raising prices since it will allow customers to buy more 'dealer add-ons' without losing the EV credit.

The next couple years of 50% CAGR are going to be ***so** interesting. I think the EV credit is going turn Tesla's dreams/plans of Max production growth into a reality, and I will not be at all surprised if sub $40k Model Y's after the EV credit appear by 2025.

Reactions: Mike7564
I wish they would clarify the previous "rules will be finalized in March" commentary. My EDD is 2/11 to 3/18
March may just be to determine battery manufacturing eligibility for the first $3,750 piece of the credit. They might just leave the credit for battery eligible credits at $7,500 because the determination of raw material sourcing is complex, and the law allows them a deadline of 2024 for any decision.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
Reactions: alexgr and WyoDude