Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

IRS definitions of what's a car vs SUV by manufacturer for $55k vs $80k price limit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Honestly not sure why they still do these incentives - if you can afford a $50,000 - $80,000 car you don't appear to need a hand in 'converting' to electric. You just need to arrange your finances appropriately. The sooner these are gone the better.
The incentives are NOT to help people financially. They are to promote certain choices and help certain economy sectors.

The incentives are NOT to help people financially. They are to promote certain choices and help certain economy sectors.

EXACTLY, although it would not be too much of a stretch to replace 'economy sector' with 'GM.' Tesla support is an unintended side effect lol. Politics is an exercise in irony. The original rules excluding Tesla by requiring Union participation was torpedoed by none other than AGW denialist Manchin because of his anti-union proclivities.

It is interesting that while some try to rationalize the IRS decision to not list the Model Y as an SUV per some EPA classification, the EPA itself has no problem to classify all model Ys and all VW ID.4s as SUVs.

Reactions: DrGriz and Pricedm
It is interesting that while some try to rationalize the IRS decision to not list the Model Y as an SUV per some EPA classification, the EPA itself has no problem to classify all model Ys and all VW ID.4s as SUVs.
The base classification rules are the same for NHTSA and the EPA:
A three row vehicle with two that fold is a light truck / SUV
A two row vehicle needs more cargo than passenger space, or to meet a mulitpart off-highway set of criteria to be a light truck
49 CFR § 523.5 - Non-passenger automobile.

However, the EPA Administrator can reclassify vehicles for their purposes
40 CFR § 600.315-08 - Classes of comparable automobiles.

Treasury could use a less legislative based classification system, but are not required to.

Reactions: alexgr
The base classification rules are the same for NHTSA and the EPA:
A three row vehicle with two that fold is a light truck / SUV
A two row vehicle needs more cargo than passenger space, or to meet a mulitpart off-highway set of criteria to be a light truck
49 CFR § 523.5 - Non-passenger automobile.

However, the EPA Administrator can reclassify vehicles for their purposes
40 CFR § 600.315-08 - Classes of comparable automobiles.

Treasury could use a less legislative based classification system, but are not required to.
Right. And it appear as the IRS classification has been done by some under under-developed machine rather than by a human being.

Right. And it appear as the IRS classification has been done by some under under-developed machine rather than by a human being.
Not sure what you mean.
The classifications, which were provided by the manufacturers, seem to align with definition as currently written by the legislative branch. (other than the Escape PHEV, not sure whatis going on there)

ID.4 4WD Pro has the same ground clearance as the Model Y, 6.8in. Also, Escape PHEV's ground clearance is 6.9 in.

Anyway, I am pretty sure that if the IRS is forced to apply specific EPA definitions to SUVs and cars, we and the manufacturers would know that long time before this 'reveal'.

When talking about legal definitions, we must not forget that (1) these legal definitions are written by human and (2) it is the choice of the people to apply certain definitions and standards in the best interest of the people and the spirit of the law. What I see here is the application of the definitions (if we would even trust that the IRS sources the information from that specific EPA list of definitions) favors the UAW, not the people, not the environment. It is a sad situation, to say the least.

Edit: Source on Escape: 2023 Ford Escape Plug-In Hybrid Dimensions - iSeeCars.com

In the EU, the ID.4 AWD has an active suspension option that gives more than 8" clearance, but that's not available in the USA, at least not yet.

Rather than complain that the Model Y should be treated as an SUV (which is clearly isn't), instead complain loudly that the Escape PHEV and ID.4 shouldn't qualify either if plug-in or US variants don't meet the requirement. It's based on the manufacturer submissions.

• Disagree
Reactions: alexgr and acpd
In the EU, the ID.4 AWD has an active suspension option that gives more than 8" clearance, but that's not available in the USA, at least not yet.

Rather than complain that the Model Y should be treated as an SUV (which is clearly isn't), instead complain loudly that the Escape PHEV and ID.4 shouldn't qualify either if plug-in or US variants don't meet the requirement. It's based on the manufacturer submissions.
That is what I put in my input to IRS. All of them should be removed as SUV, including 3 row Model Y.

• Disagree
Reactions: Yelobird and alexgr

I would argue that $7.5k should be given to all EVs regardless their type. But PHEV should receive much smaller, if any, credit. Also, please note that we neither discuss European models nor the European incentives here.

Thanks for posting this link. When I submit written comments (see post #175 IRS definitions of what's a car vs SUV by manufacturer for $55k vs $80k price limit ) this info will be utilized in my comments.

Thanks for posting this link. When I submit written comments (see post #175 IRS definitions of what's a car vs SUV by manufacturer for $55k vs $80k price limit ) this info will be utilized in my comments.
Here is the part of the clean energy act that shows that there is NO reference to one specific classification the IRS must follow.
from here: 26 U.S. Code § 30D - Clean vehicle credit

1672882111104.png

• Informative
Reactions: DrGriz
Ah, interesting. I’m not seeing that anywhere on the Tesla site. Are you?

Ha, they have removed it! It was there a couple of days ago in the ordering page, a small banner in the same location as the previous $7.5k off and 10k SC miles promotion. Now it's completely gone, Tesla isn't even promoting it after you've selected the 7 seater!

• Informative
Reactions: DrGriz