Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

IRS definitions of what's a car vs SUV by manufacturer for $55k vs $80k price limit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
He lives in CNY, no where near NYC. Might as well be 2 different states (cost of living wise, etc). I live in the same area and his expenses are multiples of ours. For example, my electric bill probably average $108 per month (over the last 12 months) and I drive about 800-1000 per month with my Model Y.

Do you live in apt or condo or something ? No idea how you're bill is only $107. Skaneateles is not syracuse.

Screenshot_20230101_083208_Drive.jpg

Do you live in apt or condo or something ? No idea how you're bill is only $107. Skaneateles is not syracuse.

View attachment 891030
I live in in a 2800 sq ft house (finished portion) in Liverpool. Here are my last 2 bills.

D86C31CA-450B-48D3-AF93-4CCBED18889A.jpeg

Electricity rates have gone up a lot over the last 6 months. But Didn’t realize electricity rates would be that much different when we are only like 30 minutes apart. We love that area that you live and have thought about moving there in the past.

Attachments

• 901D5B96-7D52-4A28-AE42-22F74D9B6876.jpeg
    901D5B96-7D52-4A28-AE42-22F74D9B6876.jpeg
    272.3 KB · Views: 53
880 kWH for November and 1020 kWh for December. December electric rates went up a lot compared to November.

Most of it is during off peak hours as I switched to a TOU plan when I got my Model Y.

Pretty darned reasonable per kWh charge, since I presume a monthly connection fee and faxes are included.

My guess for the other fellow is that either he lives in a factory, or is a prime candidate for a Darwin award

Last edited:
My tesla app says I charged 309kwh in the last 31 days. But that only seems to account for half my off peak usage. Not sure what the other half is from considering off peak is when I am sleeping.

If you had the same meter before your TOU choice, you can ask your utility for your records. Mine came as a .csv showing average power every 15 minutes.

The Tesla will not count charging losses; I'm not sure about conditioning of the pack/cabin while plugged in. Using 5 - 10 kWh a day for conditioning the car while at home would not surprise me at all.

Last edited:
The IRS didn’t assume anything. Tesla submitted info stating which of their cars qualify. See my post above - the 3-row 7 seat variants don’t qualify as utility vehicles - they qualify under the rules that define vans. MYP only qualifies at the $80k MSRP limit, as with the MYLR, if it has the third row option.

5 seat MYP and MYLR are both “cars” at the $55k limit.
Thanks for pointing it out. I get it now. 7 seat MY gets a van rating. And both MYP and MYLR with 5 seats are "cars". I always wondered why a Model Y was considered an SUV because the ground clearance was so low compared to any other ICE SUV. I hope it goads Tesla to using tires with much more wall height and also help raise the ground clearance. I generally avoid using my Tesla with more than 3" of fresh snow and instead use our Lexus 450 Rxh SUV which has much higher tire wall height and a tad more weight too.

Reactions: EVChris
If you had the same meter before your TOU choice, you can ask your utility for your records. Mine came as a .csv showing average power every 15 minutes.

The Tesla will not count charging losses; I'm not sure about conditioning of the pack/cabin while plugged in. Using 5 - 10 kWh a day for conditioning the car while at home would not surprise me at all.
Good point. It’s been cold and I pre condition it usually. I also notice that some days the car says I used 3% of battery in standby and some days its 0% overnight. Not sure what causes that.