Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

IRS Issues Ruling Approving Energy Storage Retrofit for Solar Investment Tax Credit (ITC)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ya gotta remember that I wear both a belt and suspenders, and my sleeve garters keep my shirt sleeves from smearing the ink in the books of account.

Levity aside, the last thing that I want to have happen to my client is to become pen pals with the Service. I want to make the Service's job easy. So, I attach as much salient information as I possibly can in order for the clerk who processes these amended returns to keep them moving along smoothly in the pipeline. It is also easier on the memory and the filing system if a complete set of documentation accompanies the amended return. I loathe getting a call from a client and having him search for more documentation 16 weeks after I prepared the amended return.

Amended returns are sometimes returned to the taxpayers requesting more information. Sometimes they are referred to audit for additional investigation. I would prefer that this not happen so I give them as much information as I feel is necessary to avoid further correspondence until the refund paperwork arrives in the mail.

I really do not know how amended returns are processed. I guess that there is a de minimus threshold for a refund claimed. Beyond this alleged threshold, who knows?
Oh. I do hear ya.... and on the refund amount, I wouldn't send anything in personally for under $100, maybe $250. I'm sure they've seen $50 or even $5, lol... I was just curious if cars didn't need anything (and the form seems to state thus) because they do have a unique ID and require only the same. (Wouldn't want to poke the bear for anything not worth it!)

The 'other' systems are more, um, cobbled together, so definitely could be useful to supply more backup. :D Payment is normally a loan, of course, but could be one-time for the PWs. (The way the PW lead time is now, I may have it all in the bucket for them by the time they show up!)

Thanks for the insight!

Thanks again! I actually sent my amended return in a few weeks ago and just saw the additional advise today. I sent in most, but not all, that you recommended. I will let you all know how it goes. Came out to a little over 4K, so worth it for sure.