Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

IRS Tax Credit certification letter from Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

jebinc

Jun 19, 2019
Seattle area
Quick Question - I'm doing my taxes and can't seem to find the Tesla IRS credit certification letter anywhere in my online account, nor did I receive anything in the mail. I purchased my 3 mid June and was expecting my Tax Software (H&R Block) to generate a $3750 credit, but it only generated half of that ($1875). Either the software is buggy, or I'm entering the wrong amount in the "Tentative credit per the Tesla letter" into the software. I entered $3750 and when checking the Tesla box, the software cuts it in half, so I need to see if the Tesla IRS letter says $7500 or $3750 as something is amiss. Thanks for sharing any thoughts you may have.

Does it ask for the date you bought it? Sounds like a bug in the software. If you took delivery in June, it should be $3750.

And yes, you don't get a letter.
Strange: The software states you do get a letter and to enter the "tentative credit amount" from that letter. If I check the "Manufactured by Tesla" box, whatever amount I put into the "tentative credit amount" box gets halved. If I uncheck the "Manufactured by Tesla" box, whatever amount i enter into the "tentative credit amount" box remains 100%. Any yes, I played with the income numbers and reduced them to even poverty levels to see if that was the reason, and no, it gets halved no matter what the AGI amount is. Pisses me off! :p

We've bought 10 Teslas over the past 4 years and never received a letter from the IRS. In another thread, someone else pointed out that if you enter the full $7500 tax credit, the software will correctly calculate that you would be eligible for up to $3750 since you took delivery in the first half of 2019.

Strange: The software states you do get a letter and to enter the "tentative credit amount" from that letter. If I check the "Manufactured by Tesla" box, whatever amount I put into the "tentative credit amount" box gets halved. If I uncheck the "Manufactured by Tesla" box, whatever amount i enter into the "tentative credit amount" box remains 100%. Any yes, I played with the income numbers and reduced them to even poverty levels to see if that was the reason, and no, it gets halved no matter what the AGI amount is. Pisses me off! :p

At least in the H&R Block software, that I used as well, you enter the full amount of the credit (i.e. $7,500) and then it calculates what portion of that you get, based up on the vehicle and date you enter. The doesn't do a good job of explaining that, but punch in $7,500 and you will see the correct amount of $3,750 for you. Also, I've claimed 2 Plug-In vehicles now and I've never heard of or received a letter for them.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
At least in the H&R Block software, that I used as well, you enter the full amount of the credit (i.e. $7,500) and then it calculates what portion of that you get, based up on the vehicle and date you enter. The doesn't do a good job of explaining that, but punch in $7,500 and you will see the correct amount of $3,750 for you. Also, I've claimed 2 Plug-In vehicles now and I've never heard of or received a letter for them.
I know how to "force" the software to show the full $3750 credit, by either entering the wrong $7500 amount for a June 2019 delivery, or NOT CHECKING the Tesla box. Both are work-arounds, unless the IRS letter that H&R Block thinks Tesla is supposed to produce says the "tentative credit" amount for a June 2019 delivery is $7500 - which also makes no sense.

There is/was an paper copy form from IRS to document/claim the tax credit. It included the date of purchase and VIN. This was back in the beginning of the $7500 tax credit and when fewer people were doing online filing. Maybe it old hat, maybe its not necessary, but If there's a way to upload a scanned/ecopy of that completed form with your return, I would. Sorry, I don't don't know the number of the form, but I bet it can be found via google.

First plug-in electric vehicle manufacturer crosses 200,000 sold threshold;Tax credit for eligible consumers begins phase down on Jan. 1 | Internal Revenue Service

QUOTE="jebinc, post: 4469043, member: 107389"]Quick Question - I'm doing my taxes and can't seem to find the Tesla IRS credit certification letter anywhere in my online account, nor did I receive anything in the mail. I purchased my 3 mid June and was expecting my Tax Software (H&R Block) to generate a $3750 credit, but it only generated half of that ($1875). Either the software is buggy, or I'm entering the wrong amount in the "Tentative credit per the Tesla letter" into the software. I entered $3750 and when checking the Tesla box, the software cuts it in half, so I need to see if the Tesla IRS letter says $7500 or $3750 as something is amiss. Thanks for sharing any thoughts you may have.[/QUOTE]

I can attest to this as well. I use the H&R Block Tax software and you do put in the full $7,500 amount and it will prorate it for you to the correct amount.

I just got audited on my tax credit and they are asking for the "Manufacturers Certification" along with the sales receipt. I believe this is the letter referenced above. Googling it hasn't helped. Any other ideas?
What ended up happening? Yes. I’m also looking for the, “manufactures certification” Thanks in advance!