Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

IRS weighs in on tax rebate, mostly bad news for Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
today's 66k model Y is not 39k(it is 40k, not 39k) 2 years ago. You are not even comparing the same car config
Entry level price point is important and relevant, even if it doesn’t fit your narrative.

The apples to apples config is still $49,990 to $65,990… >30% increase. I’m not the one trying to explain this away as regular inflation. 😂

To be clear I don’t blame Tesla one bit for making hay while they could. But the idea that there’s no clear path back to sub-$55k pricing in the current economic environment is laughably stupid. Tesla drastically raised prices in the past 2 years for one reason - because they could - and they will undoubtedly need to come back down, quickly, if they intend to sustain the current level of production and demand.

Reactions: Hexo09
Way to compare apples and oranges!
Right, because entry level pricing for Tesla Model Ys and Tesla Model Ys have absolutely nothing to do with each other. 😂

Keep huffing that pipe brother. Tesla is magic and has no particular connection to simple economic supply and demand. Model Ys are worth nearly $70k and they’ll sell every one they can produce at that price in 2023. This is totally normal, nothing to see here. 😉

Reactions: cdub
Right, because entry level pricing for Tesla Model Ys and Tesla Model Ys have absolutely nothing to do with each other. 😂

Keep huffing that pipe brother. Tesla is magic and has no particular connection to simple economic supply and demand. Model Ys are worth nearly $70k and they’ll sell every one they can produce at that price in 2023. This is totally normal, nothing to see here. 😉

Just laughing at the guy who's position is so weak he has to compare two completely different models to fluff up his numbers.

Good luck in life with that tactic!

• Funny
Reactions: ucmndd
It's quite disappointing to see the new MYAWD is priced at $62k, we'll just have to see what the demand picture looks like at the end of Q1.
I still believe Tesla can bring price down quite bit, while inflation indeed happened Tesla has also achieved significant manufacturing cost saving through increased scale and efficiency, there is absolutely no way that a MYLR cost $17k more than early 2021.
As we can see prices in China has already dropped to before pandemic levels while they can still sell every car made, so I doubt they're doing it at a loss.

Right, because 70 years of typical inflation is exactly the same thing as the massive opportunistic ~60% run-up in Model Y prices in the last 2 years. 😂

Brilliant.

It wasn't even 2 years. Tesla raised the price of the Model Y Long Range by $17,000 ($48,990 to $65,990) in just 15 months.

I cant even discuss this with anyone defending it as inflation. They are not trying to have a real conversation. 🤡

It wasn't even 2 years. Tesla raised the price of the Model Y Long Range by $17,000 ($48,990 to $65,990) in just 15 months.

I cant even discuss this with anyone defending it as inflation. They are not trying to have a real conversation. 🤡
I bought my Y LR in May 2022 for $54k. The same car is now $66k. Crazy increase in a short time but makes sense based on the supply/demand dynamics at the time. I am of the opinion that with increased supply, and auto demand shifting back down to more reasonable levels, that they will be forced to drop the price. When and for how much, who knows.

Reactions: cdub
Tesla USA would find it hard to take a $67k MY and reduce it back to 2020 prices. That would crater used car prices and their existing lease accounting.

I agree my $54k 2020 was a gem. Had to go used for her replacement as I’m not spending $67k on the same car (a few updates).
yup. but if demand softens more... what options do they have ? while also ramping up output significantly...

yup. but if demand softens more... what options do they have ? while also ramping up output significantly...
Of course, if demand craters everything gets cheaper. It’s just, not, in the US. So, for now people will buy without the credit.

Tesla could sell a MY SR AWD for $50k. Say 280 miles. I would buy that in the future. 300+ isn’t a must have.

If Tesla can charge more, they will.
But their overarching plan is to reduce prices by scaling production.

People are obsessing over "demand," but I pay much more attention to production growth

So this is my hope. That Tesla didn't just raise prices last year to maximize profit or buy back stock. That they will take those record-high margins from 2022 and invest them in opening/expanding more factories and running more shifts. To make EVs more popular.. we need EVs to become more affordable and accessible to everyone. While I do invest in the stock market (both retail & retirement).. I don't cheerlead for any company to be greedy. I respect their right to sell a product for a profit and make good money doing it.

That said the overall benefit of cheaper, more abundant EVs.. is that the average person will hopefully be able to afford one in the next 3-5 years. In 10 years maybe we really will reach that point where EV sales, overtake ICE. Not only would this be a better outcome for all of us due to lower emissions and reducing our overall carbon footprint. But more EVs in actual customers' hands, would naturally create a larger, more robust charging infrastructure.. and decrease the price of replacement battery options in the future.. things that will be of great benefit for those early adopters who have already hopped on the EV bandwagon years ago.

The longer the price for a Model Y hovers around $70K.. and gas prices hover around $3.. the significantly longer it will take all of this to happen. If it even happens at all. There are still many hurdles to EV ownership in America.

They will most likely not lower prices in the face of demand.

Good luck on an earnings call discussing lower prices, to keep margins unchanged.
so how are they intending on moving more and more cars with ramped up production? if prices arent touched?

there's already little to no wait for most Tesla's per their site

so how are they intending on moving more and more cars with ramped up production? if prices arent touched?

there's already little to no wait for most Tesla's per their site
They sell out each quarter. Major demand bought two weeks ago at a $3,750 to $7500 lower price. All companies offer end of the year savings. That doesn’t lower the MSRP.

The cars in inventory might still be in Cali. People might also be waiting on the credit ruling for the 5 seater.

Custom orders are Jan/Feb-Apr.