Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is 1'000 USD too much for a 2 year service ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I live in Switzerland, bought my M3 dual motor LR 2 years ago, 34'000 km
I asked Tesla if I needed to bring it in for the 2 year service,
they said it was not mandatory but they sent me a quote for ~1'000 swiss francs, which is about 1'000 usd !
Breakdown, parts and time:
-wiper blades: 55 usd
-Cabin filter: 65 usd
-Break fluid check: 21 usd
-General inspection: 252 usd
-windshield washer fluid: 11 usd
-clean and lubricate brake calipers; 74 usd
-Receiver dryer and desiccant 332 usd
-Brake fluid bleed/flush: 202 usd

Never paid for a service in the 4 first years in the cars i had in the past, a bit surprised and disappointed to have to pay 1'000 usd after 2 years.

Do I need to do all this ?

Unless you've got a disability, wipers, washer fluid and cabin air filter are all easily DIY. I'd get them to lube the brake pins if you're unable to do so at home (also easily DIY if you've got the tools). Brake fluid for a system that barely gets any use or high temperature is really overkill, but you could go ahead and get that changed out (don't pay for the "test" though).

So in summary, get them to lube brake guide pins for sure and maybe change out brake fluid, DIY or ignore the rest would be my suggestion.

-wiper blades: 55 usd - reasonable, Tesla charges $25 per wiper on their website, not sure if you need them (up to you)
-Cabin filter: 65 usd- can DIY but isn't unreasonable for the parts + labor (tesla says replace every 2 years)
-Break fluid check: 21 usd- not a bad idea for $21
-General inspection: 252 usd- lol no thanks
-windshield washer fluid: 11 usd- $11 isn't a lot but can easily do yourself
-clean and lubricate brake calipers; 74 usd- probably a good idea as it is recommended by Tesla in cold climates every year (salt on roads)
-Receiver dryer and desiccant 332 usd- i don't even know what this is
-Brake fluid bleed/flush: 202 usd - no need to do unless test above says it's warranted

When I had our Model 3 in for service after 2 years (first service, no issues), I was charged $138, in the US. $1,000 seems really high, but maybe that's a regional difference. The same 2-year service for our Model S was more, but still only $324. Both cars have low mileage, so that might account for some of the difference.

Sounds about right for a service. if I remember correctly Tesla U.K. charged about GBP750. Had one. Then Tesla stopped mandating them.

Should probably have the brake fluid changed out at 2 years?

Unsure what brands you’ve bought before but I thought MB required an annual service/check to support warranty coverage. That could go above £750 if it was the service that needed a complete gearbox oil change.

I'm at two years, I'm not planning on doing any service. I'm think about having a Tesla Ranger do my tire rotation in the fall, if I do I'll have him check the brake fluid and inspect the brakes at the same time. Wipers and filters I'll just do myself. I can't remember ever changing a cabin air filter so I won't do that on this car unless I smell something, I suspect cabin filters are a problem for people who live in hot humid climates but not for people who live in temperate climates.

Reactions: calidreamz808
Thanks guys for all the valuable feed-back, much appreciated, i have now arguments to discuss with Tesla,

From their proposal, it seems these are questionable, especially when reading the Tesla linked above by @gaswalla :
-General inspection: 252 usd -> I'm going to ask them what is included here
-Receiver dryer and desiccant 332 usd -> Tesla link says every 6 years !
-Brake fluid bleed/flush: 202 usd -> to be checked first, not replace by default without checking

that's potentially 786 usd saved out of 1'000 usd !!
I'l keep you posted after the service,

@gaswalla thanks for the Tesla link
@Skione65 thanks, the bike is electric, I built it, more info here: www.facebook.com/zvexx.motorbike/ with https:// in front if link does not work
@KenC LOL, you do remember the moustache, well, i had to remove it, interfered with the radar unfortunately

Reactions: pilotSteve
-wiper blades: 55 usd - reasonable, Tesla charges $25 per wiper on their website, not sure if you need them (up to you)
-Cabin filter: 65 usd- can DIY but isn't unreasonable for the parts + labor (tesla says replace every 2 years)
-Break fluid check: 21 usd- not a bad idea for $21
-General inspection: 252 usd- lol no thanks
-windshield washer fluid: 11 usd- $11 isn't a lot but can easily do yourself
-clean and lubricate brake calipers; 74 usd- probably a good idea as it is recommended by Tesla in cold climates every year (salt on roads)
-Receiver dryer and desiccant 332 usd- i don't even know what this is
-Brake fluid bleed/flush: 202 usd - no need to do unless test above says it's warranted

probably too early but after 4 years or so a general inspection is mandatory unless you want to be a safety hazard on the road. however, the op doesnt have to be that concerned about it as he will have a seperate 2-3 year mandatory safety inspection anyway.

changing the descicant is recommended i think every 6 years or so on the model 3. so no need to have this done now. afaik people can get away leaving this for much longer but may have to be done at some point. If you dont live somewhere where its humid you may not even notice that something is wrong.

Reactions: Jeremy3292
I live in Switzerland, bought my M3 dual motor LR 2 years ago, 34'000 km
I asked Tesla if I needed to bring it in for the 2 year service,
they said it was not mandatory but they sent me a quote for ~1'000 swiss francs, which is about 1'000 usd !
-wiper blades: 55 usd
-Cabin filter: 65 usd
-Break fluid check: 21 usd
-General inspection: 252 usd
-windshield washer fluid: 11 usd
-clean and lubricate brake calipers; 74 usd
-Receiver dryer and desiccant 332 usd
-Brake fluid bleed/flush: 202 usd

Never paid for a service in the 4 first years in the cars i had in the past, a bit surprised and disappointed to have to pay 1'000 usd after 2 years.

Do I need to do all this ?
They said you didn't need to bring it in but you wanted to anyway. If you don't like the price, you should bring it to another place to do minor maintenance.

Short update, i did ask my tesla service about these on their quote:
-General inspection: 252 usd -> I asked them what is included here
-Receiver dryer and desiccant 332 usd -> Tesla link says every 6 years !
-Brake fluid bleed/flush: 202 usd -> to be checked first, not replace by default without checking

Their reply:
Indeed we made a mistake, the receive dryer and desiccant is every 6 years,
The brake fluid will be checked but it is unlikely it needs to be flushed,
The general inspection is optional

The did not give me more details about this general inspection, so it's still in the new quote
now i'm down to 480 usd vs initial quote of 1'000 usd.

It was worth asking you guys, thanks.

I would really like to understand the science behind Tesla's recommendation to change the AC dryer every 6 years.

The entire AC system is always under pressure and never open to the atmosphere. The desiccant in the dryer removes any tiny bit of moisture that was left over after putting the system in a vacuum and then filling with refrigerant. After that, there's no way for additional moisture to get in the system unless you open it.

When you open the system, there's a chance that the mechanic won't follow procedures and cause problems. So I just don't get it. I have never see any AC systems (home or auto) recommend to replace the desiccant on an interval. You definitely must do it if you open the system up for other repairs, though. And some mechanics will get lazy and won't even do it then.

Reactions: TomT and Timbo2
Brake caliper lube for $74 is reasonable for all four corners, if you don't also have to pay for the "general inspection" charge. I DIY'ed it myself couple of times. If where you live is snowy and uses salt or other chemicals on the road, I'd definitely have it done at least every other year.

Reactions: Hugues1965