Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is $10K too much?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, god help me, I caved. The analysis paralysis was killing me...

It’s a safety feature, an accident prevention feature. It is the combination of human driver looking 400-800 yards ahead with occasional apriori knowledge of a trouble spot being expertly assisted by cameras and radar. How much would you pay to avoid a hospital visit? At $230 billion in costs in USA with 2,350,000 injured is about $97,000 an injury. Average Cost of a Car Accident: How to Pay for It All | SuperMoney!

it will reduce stress of driving and help you get there safely. The quarterly stats show it works, and they show it gets better every year.

People have a hard time balancing risk and cost. FSD is worth it. Especially as it improves.

Last edited:
I pulled the trigger also, can't for life of me figure out why I didn't buy it with the car
Or why anyone wouldn't buy it
On the other side of the fence the cool aid tastes so good
Now just waiting for the good stuff update

Personally, I was waiting to just use the car for a bit and see how much all the features meant to me. Then it felt like I was being forced into an ultimatum. Considering I'm only really interested in FSD for roadtrips since I'm home so much, I decided subscription would be the best for me (assuming it actually happens). The only benefit I saw to upfront cost is that maybe it appreciates and you can resell it down the road and get some equity back, but so far I've seen no evidence of anybody even close to breaking even on their FSD purchases.

Glad it is finally over, and they priced me out. Doubt I'll ever think about spending 10k+ on anything less than level 4, unless it attaches to account. I'm sure it'll be a blast beta testing over the next few months, but hopefully the subscription comes out and it is even somewhat reasonable. I'm curious what the inevitable EAP deal in Q4 will cost or if there is some random discount on FSD before subscription starts.

Reactions: flyingowl
I purchased mine for 6K in 2019, even that was a stretch for me. Moving to 10K when its not widely released is just to aggressive. IT may very well be worth it to some and only if the the product passes all its legal challenges. Remember its not a sure thing for this concept to even be adapted by your state lawmakers. So just thing you could be in a position to drive into another state just to enjoy your FSD option Just Something to consider when purchasing an option not yet authorized by the Government.

I pulled the trigger also, can't for life of me figure out why I didn't buy it with the car

For me (in NJ) adding FSD to the order would have put my total price over the $55K limit for our $5,000 state rebate, so I didn't even consider rolling it into the purchase. Also, we don't pay sales tax on EVs, so that saved me about $3,000. So the two state incentives actually offset the cost of the FSD (more or less).

• Helpful
Reactions: mikes_fsd
Another perspective. I paid 6K for FSD when I bought my Raven X 15 mos ago. In that time the price of the car has dropped significantly, so if I price out my exact configuration today, the overall price is about the same. If I think about it from a total package perspective (buying an FSD capable EV) it’s not such a big deal.

If and when true competition arrives, market forces will drive pricing. It looks like GM’s model is going to be Supercruise free for three years with a subscription thereafter. For those of us that like to trade cars often, that seems like the right model.

I pulled the trigger and added FSD on Tuesday. Drove it around for a couple days and had to intervene more than 50% of the time with NOA and interchanges. Even with the rewrite I just couldn't justify the spend, it just doesn't feel like an 8k let alone 10k incremental increase of value over regular autopilot. I had no intention of putting the car out in the robotaxi fleet if and when that was ready (still feels like quite a few years off at best). So it was always a pure luxury or ease of use upgrade for me. I put in for a refund yesterday morning before the 48 hour time frame expired. App and car reverted back almost immediately. I did notice this morning that the chime on green light was still working. I feel like the 2k price increase shouldn't have happened until the fsd beta was ready and available for everyone. I wonder how many people added in the last week or so and canceled.

I just realized, if you are confident FSD will get there eventually, then it's kind of like a reverse marshmallow test. Are you willing to delay gratification? Essentially, you're weighing no cost now (a form of instant gratification) with increased cost later for gratification, against lower cost now with the benefit/gratification later.

Yes, couple of things come to mind here:
  • I'm confident that FSD will get better. So far I personally can't say Tesla will be the one to win, and if so I don't see them getting FSD to the point where I'd use it all the time in the next 2 years.
  • To me it's an oppurtunity cost. What else could I be doing with that $10k, and will I be happier that route? Will I replace my Tesla in 4 years and buy something else (what if another car company has a car that offers FSD features that works on 90% of my driving routes by then). If I pay $10k now, will I get enough out of it in 4 years before I sell my car? Folks who have HW2.5 and paid FSD are still waiting for upgrades (factors like that make me think that there is no marshmallow, what is on the plate is actually just a picture of a marshmallow)

So I requested a trade in quote and my 2020 performance 3 with 7,000 miles is worth $44k. I spoke to the adviser on the phone and asked if I add FSD does the trade in value go up? His response is it does not change. That is concerning.

I also called geico and they are still trying to figure out if they can even cover the software update. The advisor said he estimates my insurance going up $200 a year but they are going to email me when they are sure if it can be covered. It's been a few days now so I am thinking it's not going to be coverable.

These issues make a monthly subscription more appropriate.

• Informative
Reactions: VT_EE
So I requested a trade in quote and my 2020 performance 3 with 7,000 miles is worth $44k. I spoke to the adviser on the phone and asked if I add FSD does the trade in value go up? His response is it does not change. That is concerning.

I also called geico and they are still trying to figure out if they can even cover the software update. The advisor said he estimates my insurance going up $200 a year but they are going to email me when they are sure if it can be covered. It's been a few days now so I am thinking it's not going to be coverable.

Could someone with Tesla Insurance get the same information from their Tesla Insurance Rep? If Tesla treats it as a "non-covered" portion of the value of the car then the whole software fee of any car going forward it ultra concerning.

These issues make a monthly subscription more appropriate.

Elon's claim of FSD being an appreciating asset is absolute bullshit. I love Tesla, but this current FSD pricing is an absolute scam. Maybe things will change when robotaxis are a thing and true FSD exists, but that's not anytime soon.