Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is $10K too much?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elon's claim of FSD being an appreciating asset is absolute bullshit. I love Tesla, but this current FSD pricing is an absolute scam. Maybe things will change when robotaxis are a thing and true FSD exists, but that's not anytime soon.

Also not everyone want to use their Tesla as taxi. Myself I would never do that or my car wouldn't last even 2 weeks in my area.

Reactions: CO_MY
For sure. No way in hell I would want to do that. I just want my own personal robotaxi.

I'm sure many think the same way and elon's plan to make FSD so expensive that you essentially would have to use it as a robotaxi to pay for it, will backfire on him.

If he increased by $2k now when technically for the regular buyer there is zero improvement just imagine the price bump when/if something actually useful is added.

Reactions: CO_MY
I think it's too much. I suspect purchases of FSD are going to drop a lot. 10K is a lot to add on top of your car price.

Maybe it has to do with model S and X price. I am thinking model S and X purchases often include FSD where model 3 purchases likely don't. Tesla recently announced drops in Model S prices then raised the price of FSD to cover some of the drop.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
Could someone with Tesla Insurance get the same information from their Tesla Insurance Rep? If Tesla treats it as a "non-covered" portion of the value of the car then the whole software fee of any car going forward it ultra concerning.

I just called Tesla Insurance to check if I needed to inform them of my FSD purchase and they said “nope, in the event that there is an accident and I need to replace the vehicle, that would be handled at the time of the claim”

kind of vague, but given that everything is through Tesla it would seem that they could turn on whatever switches they need and that the cost would be effectively zero in their books.

I just called Tesla Insurance to check if I needed to inform them of my FSD purchase and they said “nope, in the event that there is an accident and I need to replace the vehicle, that would be handled at the time of the claim”

kind of vague, but given that everything is through Tesla it would seem that they could turn on whatever switches they need and that the cost would be effectively zero in their books.

The cost would absolutely effectively be zero to Tesla on a new replacement car. They would just have to enable FSD since the car already has HW3.

The current FSD pricing model is a profit scam. Hopefully the subscription pricing will be reasonable, but I'm not holding my breath.

Reactions: flyingowl

Tesla insurance isn't going to give you a new tesla and switch on FSD because your used one crashed. They are going to give you the value of your used tesla based on what they think that is. Normally this is based on trade in value or nada value. Example:. Your 2017 model X is not worth the same as a 2021 with 0 miles.

Tesla puts no value in FSD as a trade. They literally told me my car is worth 44k on the phone. With or without FSD. They prob won't be covering it.

Since Tesla Insurance is not giving a replacement value to a vehicle with FSD then They should reconsider Making FSD purchase a transferable option to the original buyer. If your paying 10K for an option that they will not consider at trade or insurance loss.

Tesla insurance isn't going to give you a new tesla and switch on FSD because your used one crashed. They are going to give you the value of your used tesla based on what they think that is. Normally this is based on trade in value or nada value. Example:. Your 2017 model X is not worth the same as a 2021 with 0 miles.

Tesla puts no value in FSD as a trade. They literally told me my car is worth 44k on the phone. With or without FSD. They prob won't be covering it.
They're supposed to give you replacement (retail) value not trade-in value. All used cars Tesla sells now have FSD. It would be messed up if they gave you less than what they charge for a used car.

Isn’t the whole point of Tesla insurance that they are in the unique position of owning both the car and the insurance policy? It would cost them nothing to turn on FSD on a replaced vehicle where as third party insurance couldn’t do it without covering the cost of the software feature again.

I’m going to give Tesla the benefit of the doubt until there’s evidence that they won’t be covering FSD replacement.

They're supposed to give you replacement (retail) value not trade-in value. All used cars Tesla sells now have FSD. It would be messed up if they gave you less than what they charge for a used car.

We need someone to wreck their car and tell us how much they got paid out. That or Tesla needs to say what they value fsd on insur
Isn’t the whole point of Tesla insurance that they are in the unique position of owning both the car and the insurance policy? It would cost them nothing to turn on FSD on a replaced vehicle where as third party insurance couldn’t do it without covering the cost of the software feature again.

I’m going to give Tesla the benefit of the doubt until there’s evidence that they won’t be covering FSD replacement.

They don't replace your vehicle with another tesla so they cant just turn on FSD for you. They provide you with a payment for your wrecked vehicle based on whatever they say it is worth. You have to find your own vehicle with that money.

Back to the original topic... I see that Rivian is including their FSD equivalent at no cost because they don’t believe that you should have to pay extra for safety. I doubt the 10k price tag will stick if competitors provide similar capabilities as standard.

Back to the original topic... I see that Rivian is including their FSD equivalent at no cost because they don’t believe that you should have to pay extra for safety. I doubt the 10k price tag will stick if competitors provide similar capabilities as standard.

This is a good point actually. I remember paying extra for side airbags and a antilock brakes. Eventually these things become standard. Especially if it makes a vehicle safer. I even paid for a backup camera on my last vehicle. Now it's a common thing.

• Informative
Reactions: masterxel
This question keeps coming up and I don't really understand it. You paid $50k+ for a car and you're wondering whether $10k is worth it for a car that drives itself? Think of all the stuff you could get done while the car takes you places! You could send the car to pick people up. You could send it to the store to get your groceries.
The only question is whether Tesla can achieve it with the existing hardware, their promise is "dependent on achieving reliability far in excess of human drivers."

I see a lot of rationalization here. In its current incarnation, FSD doesn't add much in the way of useful functionality over Autopilot. So you're paying for its potential. And unless you're a regular road warrior with a long commute or do a lot of traveling, you're probably not going to use it all that much, even if it gets to a reliable level 3. So, it's either an emotional buy, or a showy toy. For my $10k, the value proposition just isn't there. If it were half that, it'd be harder to resist.

I see a lot of rationalization here. In its current incarnation, FSD doesn't add much in the way of useful functionality over Autopilot. So you're paying for its potential. And unless you're a regular road warrior with a long commute or do a lot of traveling, you're probably not going to use it all that much, even if it gets to a reliable level 3. So, it's either an emotional buy, or a showy toy. For my $10k, the value proposition just isn't there. If it were half that, it'd be harder to resist.
Agreed. Until FSD can legally drive me home from the Christmas party, it’s just another plaything. At this point it is way too cautious to be of any practical use. Even enhanced autopilot gets boring. Except for long highway driving and bumper to bumper traffic, I prefer to drive this awesome machine myself.

This is a good point actually. I remember paying extra for side airbags and a antilock brakes. Eventually these things become standard. Especially if it makes a vehicle safer. I even paid for a backup camera on my last vehicle. Now it's a common thing.
the Rivian starts at $75,000. That’s $30k more than a Y or 3. Even the Cybertruck is only $49k @ 300 mile range.
Rivian can throw in the FSD and you are still paying more.
And the electric Hummer starts at $100k. I personally feel like Tesla’s are better at this point and value priced

So I think I'm deciding that even $8k isn't worth it right now. Did an extended test drive with FSD to see if it was worth it and was very underwhelmed by NoA + FSD

Probably logged about 100 miles trying to use it, and I got more used to using it by the end and was comfortable with letting it take control. When it worked, it was great - but when it didn't it was pretty annoying and stressful. Annoying enough where I think I may drop the $8k FSD I locked into my M3 order. I know "massive rewrites" and "quantum leaps" have been discussed - but other than FSD beta showing that it operates under heavy supervision, is there enough out there to justify purchase if your not happy with current features? Any other thoughts?