Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is $10K too much?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm in the market for my first X and have been mulling over the FSD. I would get it if there is value to me. I love the idea of being able to taxi myself to work everyday, that might be worth (20min commute each way).

So I see it this way. I have no intentions of using this as a a robotaxi and I only keep cars for about 5 years. (Not taking into account investing that 10k) I see it breaking down as costing me $8 a day (5 day work week). It doesn't seem worthwhile given the basic AP does almost the same thing and I can't transfer this to a new vehicle. By the time I get a new car in 5yrs, the value add might change.

I've seen a blurb somewhere that the monthly FSD subscription will be $210 per month. Seems to make sense for someone doing a robotaxi but I can't see anyone going this route.

Last edited:
I'm in the market for my first X and have been mulling over the FSD. I would get it if there is value to me. I love the idea of being able to taxi myself to work everyday, that might be worth (20min commute each way).

So I see it this way. I have no intentions of using this as a a robotaxi and I only keep cars for about 5 years. (Not taking into account investing that 10k) I see it breaking down as costing me $8 a day (5 day work week). It doesn't seem worthwhile given the basic AP does almost the same thing and I can't transfer this to a new vehicle. By the time I get a new car in 5yrs, the value add might change.

I've seen a blurb somewhere that the monthly FSD subscription will be $210 per month. Seems to make sense for someone doing a robotaxi but I can't see anyone going this route.

So, as far as FSD taxiing you to work everyday, you still have to either keep your hands firmly on the wheel or tug on the wheel every few seconds for FSD to know you're paying attention. It's not like set it on cruise missile mode and then go read a book or something. If it were that autonomous, no problem. I'd pay the money. But no, that ain't it. :)

Reactions: CO_MY
If robotaxi ever gets to reality, the price will be a lot more than $200 a month. If you see my old posts you can see some calculations.

I personally wouldn’t pay that much now since i’m not commuting - but then we have put of getting the Y as well. If city FSD runs well for your commute, it may be worth it. More importantly would you feel you are missing out on something interesting if you don’t get it ?

Probably not.
Then I'd say don't get it. Currently it is of minor use - when FSD beta is released, obviously the usefulness increases but you still need to monitor etc.

If I wasn't a nerd interested in these things, I'd not get it (just as I don't buy PS5/Xbox X because I'm not a gamer and are too expensive as just media streaming devices). My wife doesn't use AP now and probably won't used FSD beta when it goes GA.

ps : I should say once you get used to it - it is very useful on long freeway commutes / drives.

It is a godsend on road trips. Love road trips but my endurance at the wheel is probably limited to 6 hours a day, and after that I’m usually too exhausted to be much fun without significant downtime. Recently I drove a 12 hour stint using FSD and felt fine when I arrived at my destination. It lifts a giant mental and physical burden from long drives, and that alone makes it worth it, even without beta in the pipeline. The FSD is better than regular AP because of lane changes, speed limit awareness, and it also seems to drive better around curves (eases slightly into a sharp turn instead of staying same speed). Having said this I purchased at $7k price point. At $10K, knowing the new FSD features to come, I think it’s still worth it.

Reactions: mikes_fsd
I ordered FSD with my Model Y. I'm not going to use my Tesla as a robotaxi to make money and I doubt I'll use much of FSD itself. I've been watching some of the early beta videos so it's good to see how things are progressing. It's old hat by now, but I like how our SW gets updated regularly.

I use autopilot every single time I drive (freeways, urban traffic) and it's going to be hard for me to go without it. I love driving (even in SF) and I think FSD is going to make things easier when I travel to unknown areas.

Two questions for you guys:

1. What do you guys think the chances are of Tesla doing another sale of FSD? Tesla has done this a few times for a very limited period - so I'm hoping they may do it again sometime in the future. I know it pisses off people who paid full price (sorry) but I just don't feel like it's worth $7k more for FSD on top of the $5k I already paid for EAP
2. For those of us with HW2.5 (and no interior camera) how would that impact our ability to add our cars to the Robotaxi fleet if we did upgrade to FSD? I feel like the interior camera will be pretty crucial for not only Gov approval of FSD but also the Robotaxi aspect.

2. For those of us with HW2.5 (and no interior camera) how would that impact our ability to add our cars to the Robotaxi fleet if we did upgrade to FSD? I feel like the interior camera will be pretty crucial for not only Gov approval of FSD but also the Robotaxi aspect.
The chances of a "robotaxi" are very, very small in the short to medium term. Only you can decide whether the price is good for your personal use of (beta) FSD that will be out sometime in the near future.

The chances of a "robotaxi" are very, very small in the short to medium term. Only you can decide whether the price is good for your personal use of (beta) FSD that will be out sometime in the near future.
question was two parts. How might the missing interior camera impact the gov approval of FSD? I'm hoping it won't matter at all... I do seem to remember something about once you pay for FSD, Tesla will upgrade your car as needed to get the FSD functionality promised. I would hope that would include upgrading cars to include the interior FSD camera if needed by the kleptocrats to officially approve FSD. To be honest I'm happy to not have a camera inside my car watching me, but the security/break-in implications are worth considering...

Reactions: pilotSteve
I would hope that would include upgrading cars to include the interior FSD camera if needed by the kleptocrats to officially approve FSD. To be honest I'm happy to not have a camera inside my car watching me, but the security/break-in implications are worth considering...
When the chances of robotaxi are so small ... rest of the things don't matter too much, IMO.

When the chances of robotaxi are so small ... rest of the things don't matter too much, IMO.
while I agree with you on the chances of Robotaxi being small, I was shocked at how much further along FSD was when the beta dropped. It still has a long way to go but it was much further than I think most people expected (myself included).. so perhaps robotaxis are too

Last year when I got my TM3 I couldn't add FSD because that money went somewhere else. Right now I would get FSD but price went up from 6K to 10K. I wish FSD price would at least be locked in after you buy a car. Bummer....

This is most people. Just wait for the subscription service. It makes sense for it to be a reasonable price because it would be straight profit for tesla even on used vehicles. Plus in 4 years model 3.5 will be out with an updated body and twice the range and better radar. The subscription would just make more sense if you don't keep a car 10years. Some people do but in this case I don't think I will want to because who knows what's next. I am hopeful tesla comes out with a sports car under 100k. Pretty much just make the 3 look like a c8 or something sporty. It looks like a dadge dart right now. I have no need for baby space.

The S looks great but still it's not a sports car look. The Tesla roadster is priced out of reach for most.

I am exaggerating but really we won't have the same car that tesla sells in a few years. I already don't have the same range and windows. Some people don't have the same he version.

Last edited:
This is most people. Just wait for the subscription service. It makes sense for it to be a reasonable price because it would be straight profit for tesla even on used vehicles. Plus in 4 years model 3.5 will be out with an updated body and twice the range and better radar. The subscription would just make more sense if you don't keep a car 10years. Some people do but in this case I don't think I will want to because who knows what's next. I am hopeful tesla comes out with a sports car under 100k. Pretty much just make the 3 look like a c8 or something sporty. It looks like a dadge dart right now. I have no need for baby space.

I am exaggerating but really we won't have the same car that tesla sells in a few years. I already don't have the same range and windows. Some people don't have the same he version.

I agree with this. My argument against buying FSD now is simple. By the time FSD is mature enough to be truly what it was meant to be, you might want a new car in which you will be paying yet again for FSD, at whatever increased price in the future. The notion of paying less for FSD now before price increases is kind of absurd considering the maturity. Does Tesla assume none of us would want to switch up ? It certainly does and expects us to pay for FSD again! Now, if it's assigned per lifetime of the user, that would make sense for the consumer. You carry the FSD software license with you from car to car. I would pay for it now and then I will be truly future proof.

I agree with this. My argument against buying FSD now is simple. By the time FSD is mature enough to be truly what it was meant to be, you might want a new car in which you will be paying yet again for FSD, at whatever increased price in the future. The notion of paying less for FSD now before price increases is kind of absurd considering the maturity. Does Tesla assume none of us would want to switch up ? It certainly does and expects us to pay for FSD again! Now, if it's assigned per lifetime of the user, that would make sense for the consumer. You carry the FSD software license with you from car to car. I would pay for it now and then I will be truly future proof.
my argument to buying it right now is I can't have it.
1. After purchasing it in the Tesla app and letting them charge my credit card $7k, I'd have to book an appointment and get my hardware upgraded. Hopefully I won't total my car between now and then? Would Tesla refund my purchase if that happened? Who knows... good luck getting someone one the phone to ask. LOL
2. Once upgraded, I have the hardware but no FSD. It's not available to anyone but those in the "beta program"

I'm not paying for something I can't have. I feel sorry for folks who paid for FSD years ago and are still waiting. Some of those folks sold their cars or lost them in accidents. The raising of FSD's price should not have started until it was in the hands of everyone with the hardware in their car. I think it's wrong to charge people up front for something they can't have. In my case I'm on HW2.5 and I wouldn't even be capable of FSD until the computer is installed. They shouldn't bill my CC for FSD until after the hardware has been successfully installed and I'm able to use FSD. Anything else is just plain crooked because you're basically giving Tesla a loan for something you may never see. This is just my opinion. Reserving a car (ie. Cybertruck for $100) is different. We're reserving a place in line. Raising the price on FSD over and over again without people being able to see what it is/was or use it first is/was sketchy/shady stuff.