TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Is #1272 a Sport or Not ?

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by TEG, Jun 15, 2015.

1. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

#1272 is listed for sale here:
    Tesla Roadster 2 5 | eBay
    And here:
    Buy a used 2011 Tesla Roadster 2.5 Red | Shift

The eBay listing says: "2011 Tesla Roadster Sport 2.5 Red/Tan Convertible"

The car has "Roadster Sport" logo on the back:
    sport1.png
    And on the side:
    sport2.png

But the VIN is not the VIN for a Sport.
    And the PEM doesn't have the Sport logo on it:
    sport3.png

The Seats don't have the contrasting color "S" in the "TESLA" label.
    sport4.png

I think we may have an impostor here!

2. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

Sure looks like it. Good work (as always).

3. hcsharp

hcsharp Active Member

I tried to see if it had the adjustable suspension but couldn't tell.

4. bart513

bart513 Member

I have a non-sport #1276 that has sport seats. Got lucky because they had run out of regular seats. I can't imagine having a Roadster Sport without the Roadster Sport seats. Makes no sense. Not to mention the PEM, etc.

5. gregd

gregd Member

I just had my PEM swapped out because of a burned contact on the wiring that drives the blowers. The replacement says "Roadster Sport" on it; the original (and my car) is not.

So you might check the repair history on the car. I'm told by the SC that the two PEMs are the same, except for the badge and the internal firmware (which they matched to the car). They'll swap the badge next time the car goes in for something. In the mean time, it looks kind of cool... :)

6. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

The overriding factor for me is that the VIN is for a non-sport.

7. n2mb_racing

n2mb_racing Member

My 2010 sport has the right vin, has the sport badge on the trunk and the red "S" in the seats. But, it doesn't have the sport badge on the PEM or the side sport badge on the car.

8. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

So, I asked a question on the eBay listing, and they didn't respond directly, but removed the "Sport" from the text description.
    But they still show "Sport" here:
    sporty.png

9. smorgasbord

smorgasbord Active Member

You know, for ICE cars, people car about matching VINs and serials between engine, transmission, and body. I guess there's no record of PEM or motor serials, so future auction appreciation-oriented buys won't have that "originalness" metric, right?

10. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

I'm sure Tesla maintains records of Roadster VINs and part numbers and which cars have had parts changed, but the records are not public.

11. gregd

gregd Member

Yes, and they said they could replace the badge so it looks right, which I will have them do next time the car goes in for something else. I'm not planning to sell it any time soon, but I would want it to be "whole" when (if ever) that time comes.

I doubt any Roadster (any car, for that matter) still has all its original parts after being driven for a while, so I wouldn't expect a replaced PEM, properly presented, to be a problem. I was told that the standard and Sport versions are identical except for the badge and the firmware (which they matched to the car).

12. hcsharp

hcsharp Active Member

If you're just talking about the PEM, that's true. A lot of people forget that the Sport has a hand-wound stator in the motor. Not to mention a leather seats package, adjustable suspension, forged wheels, and I forget what else.