Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is #1272 a Sport or Not ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

TEG

Teslafanatic
Aug 20, 2006
#1272 is listed for sale here:
Tesla Roadster 2 5 | eBay
And here:
Buy a used 2011 Tesla Roadster 2.5 Red | Shift

The eBay listing says: "2011 Tesla Roadster Sport 2.5 Red/Tan Convertible"

The car has "Roadster Sport" logo on the back:
sport1.png

And on the side:
sport2.png

But the VIN is not the VIN for a Sport.
And the PEM doesn't have the Sport logo on it:
sport3.png

The Seats don't have the contrasting color "S" in the "TESLA" label.
sport4.png

I think we may have an impostor here!

I just had my PEM swapped out because of a burned contact on the wiring that drives the blowers. The replacement says "Roadster Sport" on it; the original (and my car) is not.

So you might check the repair history on the car. I'm told by the SC that the two PEMs are the same, except for the badge and the internal firmware (which they matched to the car). They'll swap the badge next time the car goes in for something. In the mean time, it looks kind of cool... :)

So, I asked a question on the eBay listing, and they didn't respond directly, but removed the "Sport" from the text description.
But they still show "Sport" here:
sporty.png

I just had my PEM swapped out because of a burned contact on the wiring that drives the blowers. The replacement says "Roadster Sport" on it; the original (and my car) is not.

You know, for ICE cars, people car about matching VINs and serials between engine, transmission, and body. I guess there's no record of PEM or motor serials, so future auction appreciation-oriented buys won't have that "originalness" metric, right?

You know, for ICE cars, people car about matching VINs and serials between engine, transmission, and body. I guess there's no record of PEM or motor serials, so future auction appreciation-oriented buys won't have that "originalness" metric, right?

Yes, and they said they could replace the badge so it looks right, which I will have them do next time the car goes in for something else. I'm not planning to sell it any time soon, but I would want it to be "whole" when (if ever) that time comes.

I doubt any Roadster (any car, for that matter) still has all its original parts after being driven for a while, so I wouldn't expect a replaced PEM, properly presented, to be a problem. I was told that the standard and Sport versions are identical except for the badge and the firmware (which they matched to the car).

Yes, and they said they could replace the badge so it looks right, which I will have them do next time the car goes in for something else. I'm not planning to sell it any time soon, but I would want it to be "whole" when (if ever) that time comes.

I doubt any Roadster (any car, for that matter) still has all its original parts after being driven for a while, so I wouldn't expect a replaced PEM, properly presented, to be a problem. I was told that the standard and Sport versions are identical except for the badge and the firmware (which they matched to the car).

If you're just talking about the PEM, that's true. A lot of people forget that the Sport has a hand-wound stator in the motor. Not to mention a leather seats package, adjustable suspension, forged wheels, and I forget what else.