TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Is 20 weeks too long to wait for a repair part?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by PatrickZWang, Sep 20, 2017.

Tags:
?

What should i do after waiting 20 weeks for a replacement part?

1. Find a secret communications backchannel (Batphone)!

2 vote(s)
    16.7%
  2. Take to a twitter tirade!

4 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. Hire Saul Goodman and Lawyer up!

6 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. PatrickZWang

PatrickZWang Member

Ive heard horror stories: So maybe you guys can make me feel better about being sent through the circular file. I brought my then 6 month old Model S in for a loose driver seat. They looked at it and said they'd order a new drivers seat with an 8 week eta.

It's running past 20 weeks now and after I call and they say they will chase down the parts guy, never heard back. Happened twice now. Tried emailing ServiceNA and no response.

The car is almost a year old now I think 5 months is a decent enough waiting period for a part. So advice.

#1 talk to someone else in your secret communications list
    #2 take to twitter
    #3 hire a lawyer.

Is my experience mild, medium or hot?

2. Tam

Tam Active Member

Did you go to your My Tesla Page and choose to escalate for executive review?

• Like x 1
  3. boonedocks

boonedocks Member

Had the same issue on my (now sold) S85D. Took 2 1/2 weeks for the replacement. Was the PUP black leather

4. bro1999

bro1999 Active Member

20 weeks waiting for a new driver's seat and it's STILL not available?? WTF is that?! This is a potential safety issue, as having a "loose" driver's seat in an accident definitely sounds NOT ok.

When the windshield of my Spark EV was cracked, I found out that a replacement windshield needed to be ordered from the GM plant in KOREA, as the Spark EV windshield was different from a regular Spark's. Despite having to be shipped halfway across the globe, I had my new winshield installed within a week.

You are literally a stone's throw away from Tesla HQ and they can't get you a replacement driver's seat after 5 months? Ridiculous.

5. aceven24

aceven24 Member

I would look into Lemon Laws in your state. Get the car to them, get them to give you a loaner as you say you don't feel safe with loose seats.

• Like x 1
  6. kort677

kort677 Active Member

long waits for parts is the well known dark side of tesla ownership.
    getting a lawyer involved will not be a help and could be a detriment.
    the best tactic is to go as high up the chain you can go and be a bit of a squeaky wheel.
    even after getting your issue addressed won't be much of a help if the parts that you need are not in stock.
    I don't understand what the issue tesla has with stocking replacement parts but I do know their current way of doing things is not working very well.

7. PatrickZWang

PatrickZWang Member

Tam didn't know that existed. I will need to check it out! Apparentely now they will re-order the seat because there was a problem with the initial order. Argh! Seems like a cop out excuse.

I was being only a little sarcastic with the lawyer route. But it feels likes it's been getting a bit out of hand.

I've asked for a new expectation of delivery time. I will see what they say and figure out if I escalate then

8. Pbaker

Pbaker Member

I had almost the same issue with my drivers seat replacement for it being loose, I took it in on March 3rd, and didn't get my seat till July 7th.

Tell them you don't feel safe driving it like that and they will put you in a loaner, then all of a sudden it will show up.

And now my seat is loose again :(, I need to call them.

9. PatrickZWang

PatrickZWang Member

Well I ended up escalating, they emailed me back, then went dark. Sigh time to try again. Twitter tirade next?

10. Dborn

Dborn Confirmed

Seat is probably out of production. They are hoping you will just go away. Tell them to put in the newer seat!!

11. wycolo

wycolo Active Member

Has anyone compared the defective seat to the good seat on the passenger side? If so what specifically is the problem that necessitates replacement of the entire seat vs repair (hardware fix, welding, etc).
    --