Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is 200Wh/mi achievable?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ummm.....my daily driver Roadster can easily run <200 Wh/mi. As I mentioned upthread I have averaged 218 Wh/mi during June-August of the last 4 years.

In fact, last August I averaged 196 Wh/mi for the entire month (1,022 miles driven or an average of 53.8 miles/day which were 99% commuting).

I don't consider the Roadster an odd design (actually I think it is pretty cool).
I thought the average was 230wh/km so that would be 230*1.6=350Wh/mi ish, but I could be wrong
But now I'm thinking about it, Nissan claims 220 miles with a 40kW battery... Ah well, perhaps I'm wrong indeed ;)

A little off topic, but the brilliance of Tesla and the model 3 really has nothing to do with pure range/efficiency. It has all to do with the fact that people lust after the vehicle that also is very efficient. Tesla fails without that lust factor. Tesla is also smartly targeting the Top down, so they are attacking the competition where it hurts them and helps Tesla's overall mission the most, at the high end in terms of margins. This is mission critical because Tesla must fund the mission while also driving awareness while not wasting money on advertising. The ad spend delta between Tesla and the Big3 in the US, and Germany and Japan is astronomical. A big part of that is the S3X appeal of the vehicles, which drivers conversations among the non-fanbois who will help propel Tesla's mission in the future. As we debate .16 vs .21 cd, the masses are debating red or blue and which interior. Again, Tesla fails at its mission without the aesthetic appeal of the products. This is mostly because even though they might save you money and the environment over the long haul, they are more expensive in the very beginning so the products must be very appealing and lusty. And they generally are in comparison in the segments they compete. Meaning, they are not sexier then a Ferrari, but are in many ways then a 7 series or S class, or in the case of the TM3, the 3 series, A4 and C class.

• Helpful
Reactions: Brando
As we debate .16 vs .21 cd, the masses are debating red or blue and which interior.

Your point is generally sound...but its definitely not binary.

The masses are very concerned with range, regardless if that concern is actually warranted. They may first see the exterior color and interior trimmings, but the first thing they always ask is "how far does it go on a charge?".

Your point is generally sound...but its definitely not binary.

The masses are very concerned with range, regardless if that concern is actually warranted. They may first see the exterior color and interior trimmings, but the first thing they always ask is "how far does it go on a charge?".

I guess I was not clear. Range does not matter if its fugly. No one will buy it, even if its the right thing to do for the environment and their pocket book long term. As you hinted.. warranted or not. They have no way to really truly know if its warranted or not until they experience it. Those of us who have EVs get it, but we didnt until we experienced it. Maybe some of us nerds had a nerdy friend to help us with our concerns, but the general public does not. It will take a leap a faith that no one will make for a car that does not inspire them. EVs have come and failed so many times, I think that should be obvious. The Bolt is a very good car and its not even horrific looking. It has great range and is fun to drive. So why arnt there 500,000 people lined up around the corner? Because range above a certain point does not matter. 200 miles is enough for 80-90% of the human population. That does not mean that Tesla should not strive for more range, just that they should not sacrifice aesthetics to do it. Let someone else make an ugly duckling that gets sub 200Wh/Mi land has 10% Gross margins. Someone will, but it wont be Tesla.

I think they should just make it possible to rent (very) long range tesla's. That way it could become a serious car for pulling caravans for example, without driving around with a crazy big battery all year long. I do think there should still be a few battery breakthroughs for it to become reality.

0.25kW a kg isn't bad, but I hope something like 0.75kW a kg will become reality within 5 years.