Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is 2018 75D with 20s the most reliable and comfortable pre-Raven X ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm in the market for a used X as an additional car to my 3. Can't afford used Raven, and I want to minimize the shudder problem and increase ride comfort. Does anyone have comments about :

1) 75D weighs ~270 pounds less than 100D, this is a 5% weight reduction. So with the lower weight, I should have less of a shudder problem and maybe better ride comfort compared to 100D.
2) If I get 20s and drive around on "Low" setting all the time, I should have less of a shudder problem, and maybe front control arms last longer.

I accelerate fast all the time in my 3, and the 2018 75D seems to be the same 0-60 speed as 90D or 100D at 4.9 seconds. So if I get 75D maybe I'll have all the speed, and a lighter, more reliable X.
I'm OK with lower range (maybe 170 miles) and slower supercharging speed.

Any comments are appreciated. Does the lower weight matter for reducing shudder and increasing ride comfort? Or is it negligible and the same as 100D?

I think a heavier car has more ride comfort but I don't feel a difference if I drive alone or have my wife and adult kids with me. However I might drive a little faster without my wife. :D

Range is everything even if you don't need it. But I don't believe you don't need it.

I think the X 75D is fantastic bang for the buck and I wouldn't have hesitated to plop $45-50k down on one if I didn't also want this vehicle to be a low-stress road tripper for the family. THat weight difference is in the noise though. It really isn't going to be significant enough to make a difference - all of that weight is battery and that weight is all located low and central in thec ar.

The problem was, even if I hadn't wanted the range of a Raven, all of the nice 75D's near me were asking $60k+ with dozens of kilomiles on them. So we just got a new one.

I think the post-raven Standard Range is probably the sweet spot for the X, but again, they weren't selling that anymore by the time I got around to buying. Sigh.

The value proposition is all about that cost. I think a $45k X75D is about the best Tesla value you can get. But that's not a thing that actually exists in reality right now, even though that's probably a pretty fair market value for a 3-4 year old $80k+ luxury vehicle with a bunch of miles on it

Reactions: Sunshine Speed
I completely agree with all the range posts. I recently picked up a 2017 100D and finished a 300 mile road trip. Realistic range with a full car and a/c at speed is very different than I expected. I would have been frustrated if I had bought anything other than the max.

I'm in the market for a used X as an additional car to my 3. Can't afford used Raven, and I want to minimize the shudder problem and increase ride comfort. Does anyone have comments about :

1) 75D weighs ~270 pounds less than 100D, this is a 5% weight reduction. So with the lower weight, I should have less of a shudder problem and maybe better ride comfort compared to 100D.
2) If I get 20s and drive around on "Low" setting all the time, I should have less of a shudder problem, and maybe front control arms last longer.

I accelerate fast all the time in my 3, and the 2018 75D seems to be the same 0-60 speed as 90D or 100D at 4.9 seconds. So if I get 75D maybe I'll have all the speed, and a lighter, more reliable X.
I'm OK with lower range (maybe 170 miles) and slower supercharging speed.

Any comments are appreciated. Does the lower weight matter for reducing shudder and increasing ride comfort? Or is it negligible and the same as 100D?
If you live with the shorter range the 75x is nice. We have one and for 99% of our driving it is fine. But on the few road trips, we have taken making almost 2 times as many stops get a bit old.

Good point - use case matters, but for a MX I assume it's a road trip car based on the size.

Always good to remember, you'll probably be charging it between 70-90% daily and there's going to be some range below 0% you'll never want to touch but it may be in the estimates based on recent articles.