Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is 2022 Model S Update Noteworthy?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I learned shortly after my MS was delivered in mid-January that there is was an update: Tesla unveils updated Model S with new headlights, taillights, and CCS charge ports

Since my Tesla was one month old and I insisted on waiting for a 2022 model, I am very disappointed. The most significant and maybe only change that matters are the headlights. I cannot find any specific information about what headlights my car is equipped with, but it’s apparently not the latest and best design.

Do I have adaptive headlights, are they projector or reflector, are they LED, and what is the practical difference between mine and the new Matrix LED Projector lights? Will there potentially be any software updates specific to my headlights (even though not the same as the new lights), or will this not be possible?

What's the general reaction to the design differences in the headlights, taillights and charging port door?

PS: Anybody know how to add additional icons (ex. wipers, defrost) to the deck per the recent software update (and is there still a max of five)?

Last edited:
I learned shortly after my MS was delivered in mid-January that there is was an update: Tesla unveils updated Model S with new headlights, taillights, and CCS charge ports

Since my Tesla was one month old and I insisted on waiting for a 2022 model, I am very disappointed. The most significant and maybe only change that matters are the headlights. I cannot find any specific information about what headlights my car is equipped with, but it’s apparently not the latest and best design.

Do I have adaptive headlights, are they projector or reflector, are they LED, and what is the practical difference between mine and the new Matrix LED Projector lights? Will there potentially be any software updates specific to my headlights (even though not the same as the new lights), or will this not be possible?

What's the general reaction to the design differences in the headlights, taillights and charging port door?

PS: Anybody know how to add additional icons (ex. wipers, defrost) to the deck per the recent software update (and is there still a max of five)?
Tesla makes changes all the time, mostly through firmware updates. Model years really don’t mean much, except for perceived age of car when you sell.

What really matters to enjoy the most updates is the latest AP hardware, MCU processor and horizontal screen given UI development aligned with 3/Y. You can expect to get new features and benefits for many years to come. With the Refresh in particular, I think the best potential is ability to customize the instrument cluster and use of scroll wheels (similar to previous S/X).

IMO, the new headlights might be amazing, but I’m happy with existing so it’s not something I will miss. And I prefer the legacy taillight trim. It’s not worth worrying about.

You can now customize access to functions on bottom row by holding down the … symbol. Then drag the seat heater, defrost, etc. to bottom row.

You can now customize access to functions on bottom row by holding down the … symbol. Then drag the seat heater, defrost, etc. to bottom row.
For example, are you saying that I can pull down the defroster icon from the climate page? Holding down that symbol just turns it on.

For example, are you saying that I can pull down the defroster icon from the climate page? Holding down that symbol just turns it on.
Are you on more recent firmware that supports customization (2022.12.x)? Check your release notes.

If so, hold down the … until x show up, then hold and drag the seat/AC controls down to bottom app bar per this pic.

2CB40063-9E47-484E-A0DA-0F9703D9D958.jpeg

Reactions: Alex Philips
Are you on more recent firmware that supports customization (2022.12.x)? Check your release notes.

If so, hold down the … until x show up, then hold and drag the seat/AC controls down to bottom app bar per this pic.

View attachment 802008
Thank you. Yes, I have the latest update. 2022.12.3. Do you know if there's a limit to how many favorites we can have in the app bar (maybe that's the problem)?

Last edited:
Yeah it sucks, I picked up my car on 3/2 (2/15 build) which I think was the last to rollout before the matrix headlights. I was thinking about rejecting the car and waiting for a new one. because for sure the matrix HL are better than the original one but not 2x better ( I have them on my other car and they are 10% better), to me the deal breaker was the changes to the back as I do not like the new trim not going into the light and that it lost the Letters (TESLA) it looks cheap to me.

This is Tesla life, tomorrow thy could have another refresh/improvements.

Occasionally I come from the M3 threads to see how the better half lives. It seems FOMO exists on this side too lol.

OP, better trade that hoopty in. When they push out this year's Christmas update, all of your neighbors with plaids will be able to spell out cool things with their headlights except for you.

• Funny
On the headlights, it's not clear the new ones are better, and I've seen a few complaints that they are slightly worse right now, but in general I expect they are quite similar today. The new adaptive driving beam headlights have the potential to be better, but regulations currently prohibit making them adaptive. It's hopeful the software to make them adaptive will be allowed this summer, and then Tesla will roll out the new software. Lots of unknowns, but this seems in the bag.

Most owners who got the older style dynamic LED headlights (prior to March production), also got the cars at a lower cost depending on when they ordered it and the region, as the prices keep going up. Prices have gone up so much, that it's likely you could sell your new car for the price you actually paid (if there are no sales taxes), and then buy a newer one with the latest headlights, but at the new higher cost, and have to wait for 6-9 months to get it. No easy answers if that is worth it to you.

On the charge port, I much prefer the old style with the cool illuminated ring. The new one had just a tiny indicator like the 3/Y. I expect it was done for the China market that has previously required a separate door (i.e. extra expense), as the connector China uses is too large to fit into the old charge port area. The new design makes it more consistent around the world and they only have to change out the plastic housing for different charge port connectors.

Hello. I just received a routine software update for my MS 2022 which allows for the addition of defrosting of front and rear windshield. There are only 5 items allowed for favorites though.

Reactions: Mr. Jetson