TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Is 350 KW charging possible for current model 3s?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by argon2018, Feb 11, 2019 at 6:23 PM.

1. argon2018

argon2018 Member

would it destroy the battery with that level of charging? 350 would be a game changer, in 15 mins or less you can recharge the whole battery

• Funny x 1
  2. VT_EE

VT_EE Member

Not a chance.

• Like x 6
  3. SSedan

SSedan Active Member

If it was possible don't you think the taper would start a lot later?

• Like x 4
  4. Kirby64

Kirby64 Member

I wouldn't be surprised if 150-200kW is possible, but my guess is the taper would happen way way sooner.

• Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  5. Knightshade

Knightshade Active Member

Tesla v3 supercharger supposedly was going to be 350kw originally- but was too costly so last I heard they were looking 200-250kw instead.

Either way both sets of numbers were mentioned after the Model 3 already exists so it'd be weird if their mass-market car couldn't handle the rates they themselves planned to roll out to the superchargers.

6. Big Earl

Big Earl Supporting Member

No way will they get anywhere close to 350 kW. I expect Model 3 to top out around 150 - 180 kW.

• Like x 3
  7. iwannam3

iwannam3 Member

Currently the power is split between two charging stations A & B. With a 250 kw supercharger both cars could charge at 115kw (max I've had on my Model 3), rather that one car getting more than the other.

8. argon2018

argon2018 Member

How is Porsche able to support it this then?

Are they just absorbing the cost of battery replacement

9. insaneoctane

insaneoctane Active Member

I agree with @Big Earl that the Model 3 is good for around 150kW to 180kW. An old EPA document mentions the Model 3 being capable of accepting 500A, but I think a tear-down resulting in measuring the charge port to battery wire thickness was a bit too small for that bringing into question the accuracy of the document. The wire gauge was definitely thicker than MS/MX though. Either way, we know to expect a taper and the high charge rates are fairly narrow. Maybe V4 will bring us closer to gasoline fill times?

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  10. joelliot

joelliot Member

800 volt charging instead of 400

• Disagree x 4
    • Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
  11. gilscales

gilscales Member

The old EPA document says it's capable of 525A input from a Supercharger or approx. 210kw, I also remember reading somewhere about the amperage limit of the cable being in the 400's (was it 450A?) even at 450A that would still get us to 180kw, that area of 20% to 80% that takes approx. 30 min to charge gets me about 180 range miles or more, if we could get that to 220 or more going from say 8 or 10% to 80% in that same 30 min is probably the most one could ask for at that rate due to taper, my guess anyway.

12. Uncle Paul

Uncle Paul Active Member

Lots of claims for future cars to have all sorts of capabilities. What really matters is what the setup is when the cars hit the streets. A combination of cars capabilities and the chargers capabilities and number of locations.

13. Big Earl

The increased speed will likely only be available between 15 and 45% state of charge on a long range Model 3 and up to about 55% in a S/X100

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  14. gilscales

gilscales Member

That is why I am thinking maybe only an extra 35 to 40 miles rated range in an optimum 30 min charge cycle and not an extra 85 to 90

15. Big Earl

I’ll be happy with that. The car charges quickly enough as it is that I rarely have to wait for it.

• Like x 3
  16. gilscales

gilscales Member

I agree it is great as is, a little bit more speed would be good when traveling the longer distances of say 200 to 250 mi. or more between superchargers as a 55 min. plus charge stop can get boring, most of my road trips have been in CA or to Vegas so PLENTY of SC's and no need to stretch it but next year if I get a spare 3 or 4 weeks to go across the country it would be nice to have every bit of speed available to minimize the downtime.

17. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Well-Known Member

#17 MP3Mike, Feb 11, 2019 at 10:35 PM
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2019 at 10:41 PM
    In reality that doesn't make any difference at all. (Well not true, it would allow you to use smaller wiring to the battery/charger, but it doesn't change the speed at which you can charge the cells.)

You can look at this article for a look at why: Audi e-tron Battery TMS: How Does It Stack Up Against Tesla Model 3?

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  18. gilscales

gilscales Member

#18 gilscales, Feb 11, 2019 at 10:39 PM
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2019 at 10:45 PM
    That does not make sense to my small pea brain? if you double the voltage while charging at the same amperage how is that not double the amount of actual charge? Power = Current (or we can use Amps) x Voltage, now if you want to charge at the same power rate say 120,000 watts then yes 800v will let you use wire of half the size.

19. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Well-Known Member

Sure it doubles the charge rate of the pack, but that wasn't what the question was about. The question was how can Porsche do that without frying the batteries. And the answer to that is they can't unless they are using some new cell formulation that we haven't seen.

They could try to crank the cooling up to keep the cells cool, but good luck with that working out.

• Like x 3
  20. gilscales

gilscales Member

I thought I already discussed the size of my brain!