Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is 350 miles enough for towing 10k pounds?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry, you are correct I used the wrong technical terms. Good catch. I was trying to say, amount of additional energy to overcome (not exert) the forces associated with pulling the boat.

Another way to explain this can be this: the wasted energy, although it will increase with increasing load, increases in a smaller proportion than the used energy.
Let's see where 100 units of energy go
Low load case: 50 units go to heat and 50 units go to motion, moved 10 miles,
overall energy use 100 units per 10 miles = 10 energy/mile
TRAVEL energy use 50 units per 10 miles = 5 energy/mile
Heavy load case: 40 units go to heat and 60 units go to motion, moved 6 miles ,
overall energy use 100 units per 6 miles = 16.7 energy/mile or 67% more energy consumption.
TRAVEL energy use 60 units per 6 miles = 10 energy/mile or 100% more energy consumption.

The amount of energy left over to propel the vehicle with an ICE; even after most of it is wasted in producing heat is still TONS more energy than electric vehicles contain. That's why a semi truck with a 80,000lb GVWR and huge aero drag still gets an average of 6.5 MPG.

Electric vehicles due to physics of the trailer drag, extra tire rolling resistance with heavy trailer weights and low total energy capacity of their battery packs make them terrible for towing. The only plus side is that they can climb grades easy and can get heavy loads moving fast. But SUCK down their batteries extremely quick doing so.

Anyone thinking they are going to get more than 150 miles towing a 10K lb trailer at normal highway speeds with a Tri-motor CT is going to get a rude awakening.

And no.. towing at 50 MPH on the interstate isn't a realistic usage scenario unless you are 90 years old. That's semi trucks passing you at 25+ MPH and blowing you all over the road speed.

Also Look at other things that increase energy I’m consumption like headwinds and going uphill. Both have a dramatic effect on my Tesla(s) and very little effect on my ICE.

I’ve been enjoying this discussion but have to quibble with this statement. Driving my Ram 1500 on the level I average about 17-19mpg, but traveling over Teton Pass (6300’ to 8400’) my mpg drops to around 5mpg. I don’t think gravity treats ICE’s any differently than EV’s.

The same is true when I’m driving my Ram into the notorious Wyoming headwinds.

My thoughts after two Tesla’s now.... always get max battery you can afford. If you plan on towing, I would go for tri motor without question.

My 3 year old model x is at 16% degradation at 83k miles. Also factor in cold weather, wanting to go to slightly more remote places or places that are at elevation while towing a heavy tailer. I honestly would pay extra to have closer to 600-650 miles of range.

My set up for camper trailer towing for family trips will be trimotor with solar option if possible, and Bowlus road chief as the trailer for best aero/weight to size considerations unless something better comes out in the meantime.

For reference - I have a oct 2018 model 3 dual motor awd... recently did a road trip towing 2500-3000 lbs in a 5x8 uhaul... from South Carolina to Denver

Hit some really high winds in Missouri and Kansas while climbing in elevation... Tennessee mountains were a little challenging as well range wise.

Max range was around 130 mi MAX. at around 46% efficiency

Have towed an enclosed race car trailer a lot with a Model X 100D. I expect double the usable range in a tri-motor CT because it start off much bigger and dirtier in the airstream, should be less impacted by the trailer's aero hit.

IMG_4561-1024x768.jpg

There’s no real correlation between a model Y and a CT … for the Tri-Motor CT the only real comparison would be with a P-100 Ludicrous…. The tow range, for all intensive purposes, Tesla is gunning for ICE pickups… so the ranges will be very comparable… My RAM 6.7 Cummins has a Max Tow range @ 14,000 lb of 240 miles … 26 gallons of Diesel 💸

Attachments

• EB238544-F968-4969-ABD3-6D826450B8AE.jpeg
    EB238544-F968-4969-ABD3-6D826450B8AE.jpeg
    105.3 KB · Views: 44
There’s no real correlation between a model Y and a CT … for the Tri-Motor CT the only real comparison would be with a P-100 Ludicrous…. The tow range, for all intensive purposes, Tesla is gunning for ICE pickups… so the ranges will be very comparable… My RAM 6.7 Cummins has a Max Tow range @ 14,000 lb of 240 miles … 26 gallons of Diesel 💸
Don’t most diesel rams come with a 50 gal these days? And with older o Ed it is easy to drop in a 55 gal.

Reactions: Holladaym66
Don’t most diesel rams come with a 50 gal these days? And with older o Ed it is easy to drop in a 55 gal.
My 2016 came with a 32 gallon tank standard … the 50 gallon tank is not an option on some Ram Configurations… the point was that “Range” is relative…. No matter the tank size my Ram gets 9 to 10 mpg towing 14,000 lbs at a cost of $3.69 every 10 miles which is only accounting for Fuel , Fuel Filters, Air Filters & Oil Changes…

My thoughts after two Tesla’s now.... always get max battery you can afford. If you plan on towing, I would go for tri motor without question.

My 3 year old model x is at 16% degradation at 83k miles. Also factor in cold weather, wanting to go to slightly more remote places or places that are at elevation while towing a heavy tailer. I honestly would pay extra to have closer to 600-650 miles of range.

My set up for camper trailer towing for family trips will be trimotor with solar option if possible, and Bowlus road chief as the trailer for best aero/weight to size considerations unless something better comes out in the meantime.
Range is King.