TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Is 3G coverage getting worse?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by tpoltron, Aug 20, 2018.

1. tpoltron

tpoltron Member

A couple years ago we drove our 2014 Model S from San Jose to Yellowstone (1100 miles one way) and were impressed with how it streamed music over 3G almost the entire way. Last weekend I swear we had more total dropouts driving just a couple hundred miles to Tahoe. Has anyone else noticed a coverage reduction? I’m wondering if 3G antennas/bands/frequencies are being swapped to LTE?

2. scottycs

scottycs Member

Yes, 3G will be eventually discontinued. I had to get the modem (3G to 3g+) in my audi upgraded because it no longer worked in most areas. Luckily, audi covered the cost.

3. mburnet6

mburnet6 Member

AT&T already stopped allowing new 3G devices and began "re-farming" 3G sites to build out LTE sites a couple of years ago. Verizon has already announced it's end of life date for 3G (Dec 2019) so it's only a matter of time before the other carriers follow suit. Knowing AT&T though, they'll drag their heels and won't officially give an end of life date and hope that everyone just switches to LTE so they can quietly end it.

• Informative x 1
  4. jeffro01

jeffro01 Active Member

In short, yes. Technology is always moving forward...

Jeff

5. cmalinowski

cmalinowski Member

I think I'm good with it. I'm surprised every now and then when I'm sure I see the dreaded "e" for edge. Thought that was long dead.

Chris

6. flyeyes

flyeyes Member

I think it's getting much worse.

I've pretty much gone to streaming music from my phone rather than the car, so that part's not a problem. The maps though are an issue. I've had times i wanted to zoom in to find a street, and have nothing but grey tiles, waiting for coverage.

• Informative x 1
  7. Barry

Barry Active Member

I haven't noticed any difference.

8. neroden

neroden Model S Owner and Frustrated Tesla Fan

I have no 3G service in my car (and as such, the nav map doesn't work at all, it's all grey). I will have to check with Tesla to see whether it's the car's modem or the local 3G (lack of) service. Thankfully, I'm old-fashioned enough that I own maps.

9. taminatorv

taminatorv Member

For me, the streaming music cuts out even when I have a full strength 3G signal. It seems like music is a pretty low priority to Tesla these days.

10. Bobasaurus

Bobasaurus Member

I have not noticed any difference.