Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is 3G coverage getting worse?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A couple years ago we drove our 2014 Model S from San Jose to Yellowstone (1100 miles one way) and were impressed with how it streamed music over 3G almost the entire way. Last weekend I swear we had more total dropouts driving just a couple hundred miles to Tahoe. Has anyone else noticed a coverage reduction? I’m wondering if 3G antennas/bands/frequencies are being swapped to LTE?

AT&T already stopped allowing new 3G devices and began "re-farming" 3G sites to build out LTE sites a couple of years ago. Verizon has already announced it's end of life date for 3G (Dec 2019) so it's only a matter of time before the other carriers follow suit. Knowing AT&T though, they'll drag their heels and won't officially give an end of life date and hope that everyone just switches to LTE so they can quietly end it.

• Informative
Reactions: StarLog and neroden
A couple years ago we drove our 2014 Model S from San Jose to Yellowstone (1100 miles one way) and were impressed with how it streamed music over 3G almost the entire way. Last weekend I swear we had more total dropouts driving just a couple hundred miles to Tahoe. Has anyone else noticed a coverage reduction? I’m wondering if 3G antennas/bands/frequencies are being swapped to LTE?

In short, yes. Technology is always moving forward...

Jeff

I think it's getting much worse.

I've pretty much gone to streaming music from my phone rather than the car, so that part's not a problem. The maps though are an issue. I've had times i wanted to zoom in to find a street, and have nothing but grey tiles, waiting for coverage.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
I have no 3G service in my car (and as such, the nav map doesn't work at all, it's all grey). I will have to check with Tesla to see whether it's the car's modem or the local 3G (lack of) service. Thankfully, I'm old-fashioned enough that I own maps.

Re-awakening an old thread as it's on-topic for me. My 2013 S60 has 3G and it's generally sufficient, but definitely slow and inconsistent. Will Tesla eventually be forced to upgrade the service to LTE for these early cars (at their cost)? Consider that they push software updates over the network; won't it cause a problem as many geographies are reducing or decommissioning 3G service to open up bandwidth for LTE & 5G?

In other words, should I pay to upgrade to LTE? For what it's worth, I have about 18 months remaining of warranty coverage.

I stream from Slacker, not my phone. Never had a skip of music, maybe it is the channel your listening to. I will be one of the hold outs, thinking Tesla will upgrade the LTE PCB on their dime.

Last edited: