Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is 4.4 seconds vs 5.6 seconds alone worth $10k?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone have a guess as to what the battery longevity is between the Performance vs. Standard? Assuming that 99% of the time you're going to drive whichever one you have the same way.
Yep, that's part of the beauty of an EV. You don't a larger or more complex engine (ie less efficient) to get the added performance so if you drive sedately there is no penalty besides cost.

personally I'd rather they not build another Roadster. for a small company like Tesla, it simply doesn't make sense. it's not the type of car with mass appeal. there's a reason you see way more 3-series BMWs on the road versus Z3s.
My take is they would be going after the 911 market - less hard-edged than the Roadster or a Z3. Back seat so you can haul a bit of stuff, easier to get in and out of, more comfortable in general. And Porsche sells a ton of them so the market is there.

Was there anything definitive on the impact of 19" tires on acceleration? I'm ok with losing a little (say, .2) with 19" tires, but I wouldn't want to lose a bunch or it'd make it pointless to get a Perf with 19" tires even though Tesla allows it.

Being the total (wheel and tire) diameter for the 19" and 21" is going to be pretty close, the contact patch should be the same (front to back). Only difference would be if the 21" wheels/tires are wider (giving more contact area and better acceleration grip). But, then, of course, tire specs are typically geared more towards performace (softer compounds and such) for higher diameter wheels. So, with all that, I'd say you'll technically get better acceleration with the 21" wheels with more performance spec'd tires, but whether you'll really notice it is to be seen. Finally, acceleration specs is also alot about the driver, so that can be a factor too, unless traction control is involved where all you have to do is punch it. :)

My take is they would be going after the 911 market - less hard-edged than the Roadster or a Z3. Back seat so you can haul a bit of stuff, easier to get in and out of, more comfortable in general. And Porsche sells a ton of them so the market is there.

Right. A 2-door coupe makes far more sense. Current Roadster owners can revel in the fact that they have one of a kind. I don't think Tesla will make another pure roadster EV for quite some time, if ever.

Plus, it would be a great halo car (like The R8). Personally, if I own another performance (sports) car, I'd rather have a refreshed roadster than anything ICE.

Was there anything definitive on the impact of 19" tires on acceleration? I'm ok with losing a little (say, .2) with 19" tires, but I wouldn't want to lose a bunch or it'd make it pointless to get a Perf with 19" tires even though Tesla allows it.

I am confident any performance difference between the 19 and 21s will not be noticeable at the tenth second scale if it even exists in the hundredths of a second.

Being the total (wheel and tire) diameter for the 19" and 21" is going to be pretty close, the contact patch should be the same (front to back). Only difference would be if the 21" wheels/tires are wider (giving more contact area and better acceleration grip). But, then, of course, tire specs are typically geared more towards performace (softer compounds and such) for higher diameter wheels. So, with all that, I'd say you'll technically get better acceleration with the 21" wheels with more performance spec'd tires, but whether you'll really notice it is to be seen. Finally, acceleration specs is also alot about the driver, so that can be a factor too, unless traction control is involved where all you have to do is punch it. :)

There is no measurable difference in acceleration in a Roadster with "sport" tires vs normal ( which are also performance - just less extreme ) tires.
The standard tires have more than enough grip for straight line acceleration. The standard tires will likely be sufficient in the Model S as well.
Go to a racetrack and do more than accelerate hard in a straight line and you will feel the improvement of sport tires.

Well the overall tire diameter is the 'same' for both cars. And in general wheels weigh less than tires. So going with a large wheel and smaller tire you may actually get overall weight savings. That being said you move the rim portion of the wheel further from the axis and increase the moment of inertia ... so in general I think it is a wash as far as acceleration goes. But talking about unsprung weight I think you would get less overall weight with the larger rims.

Larger wheels usually mean a heavier assembly--unless the materials are very different. Are the 19" wheels more than 2.8 lbs lighter? They might be if the measuring rim width is chosen. Note that Michelin's TRX tires of a few years ago were designed to solve the problem of getting the largest brake clearance and the lightest assembly. this was done by reducing the rim flange height and reducing the depth of the well. This allowed them to get the brake clearance of a 16" wheel with a 15" rim diameter. Of course, they weren't compatible with anything else and Michelin's marketing was less than stellar so they aren't around any more.

Here are some numbers from Yokohama:
19" = 27.6 lbs Tread width 8.7" Measuring rim 8.0"
21" = 24.8 lbs Tread width 8.9" Measuring rim 8.5"

I would use the 8.5 inch rim width for the 19" and 9.0" for the 21" tires to get the rim width closer to the tread width.

The increased acceleration from the 21" will come from the stickier tread compound and perhaps a different belt construction. If both were the same, it looks like a wash as far as acceleration goes. 0.2" will not make a significant difference in contact patch length.

I stand corrected.

No, you were right. At the Tesla store using my fingers the 21" rims were about 8" wide and the 19" rims were about 7.5" wide. The "245" is the section width of the tires. Tread width may or may not be different. Rim width can affect the width of the tire.

If I remember I'll take my tape measure tomorrow since I'm going to hang out with a friend at Santana Row.

Here's the 19" wheel. 9" wide.
wheel19.jpg

Here's the 21" wheel. 9.5" wide
wheel21.jpg